Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: gsvec

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I like how DARK DREAMERS is signed by everyone all over the two pages rather than in neat, orderly fashion.
    So do I! It makes it a little more relaxed somehow - less formal.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    That little book store where you got your copy of Dark Dreamers--was that The Haunted Bookshop? Right across the street from the campus? That's where I got my s/l Stand a LONG time ago!
    It was actually The Curious Bookshop. What were you doing in Lansing?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...and I envy your promo stuff.
    Just wait - there's more!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    How long have you been collecting???
    I've pondered this question a lot, Bill, and I can't put my finger on when I actually started collecting for real. I've been reading SK almost as long as he's been writing! If I'm not mistaken, the first book I read was The Shining after it came out in paperback. Then, of course, I had to go back and read Carrie and 'Salem's Lot since they were listed in the bibliography in the front. Still paperbacks, of course. I loved them all so much I decided I needed to get hardbacks, so I joined (yikes!) a book club to get up through then (which by now also included Night Shift and The Stand) in a more 'permanent' form. That worked for a while, but when Cujo came out I was so hooked on SK that I couldn't wait for the friggin' book club version so I bought my very first SK first edition. Cancelled the book club subscription because the quality of that first edition was sooo much better. Then when I bought my copy of Pet Sematary, I noticed a novel called The Dark Tower showing up in the bibliography between Cujo and Christine. Huh? I started calling bookstores to find out more about it but everyone told me it was already out of print. I finally found a store that said they could get me one, but went into shock when they told me the price tag would be over $100!! For a BOOK!?! No way I could swing THAT!! A little later I found an oversided paperback that I scooped up. Needless to say, I've kicked myself a few times since then for not finding a way to scrape together that $100. But I'm getting ahead of myself . . .

Around 1990, my mom found a copy of Prime Evil at a garage sale that was signed by Douglas E. Winter and bought it for me. How cool! A book with a Stephen King story signed by the editor! We laughed about how much more fun it'd be if SK had signed it, but hey - the guy lived in Maine of all places. Long way from Moline, IL. Oh, to dream! That thought must've stayed in my mind subconsciously for years!

I continued to be a faithful Constant Reader, buying and devouring the new books as they came out. Then in late 1997, my boss introduced me to this new thing called eBay. I tried to think of something interesting to search for and decided to look for Stephen King books. Wow! Signed stuff, too, at prices I could kind of afford! I still don't remember what that first eBay book was, but I got hooked. "Met up" with this seller named Hutch who seemed to know what he was talking about. I bought a bunch of stuff off eBay that first year or two then decided I needed to take a break from this new addiction for a while. I was still on the lookout for signed and rare SK in bookstores, though, and continued to pick up some things once in a while. I also started to learn a lot more about books in general and became friends with many of other collectors and booksellers. I got back into eBay a few years later and still remember a note I got from Hutch that was something like "Yeah, I noticed you were buying again."

The rest, as they say, is history. I blame it all on my mom!!
    Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:01 PM.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I am most envious. Gretchen has got the best promo collection that anyone I know. Anything else you are looking for in paticular?. Do you collect portfolios too?. The Stand, Wastelands, Cycle Of the Werewolf?.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

So do I! It makes it a little more relaxed somehow - less formal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    That little book store where you got your copy of Dark Dreamers--was that The Haunted Bookshop? Right across the street from the campus? That's where I got my s/l Stand a LONG time ago!
    It was actually The Curious Bookshop. What were you doing in Lansing?
    That's the one! I was there on business--I was in charge of a warehouse in the area waiting for a shipment to arrive--so I actually had nothing to do except wait in the warehouse and read. I was the only person there so I had lots of time to read. I was there for more than a week. What made it spooky was that there was a bat flying around inside the warehouse. Of course I was reading King at the time, so that made it even better!

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bats, eh? Were you by chance reading 'Salem's Lot?

Country
    Country Flag

Since Juliana mentioned them, time to post my portfolios!

Cycle of the Werewolf, #287, artwork by Berni Wrightson. Not in the best of shape (and the 'drip' on the # irritates me), but it's in the collection.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

The Stand portfolio, artwork by Berni Wrightson.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Waste Lands porfolio #1237, artwork by Ned Dameron

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia portfolio #51, artwork by Phil Hale

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Some other artwork while I'm at it.

Rainy Season #30 signed by SK, Tabby, and artist Lance Brown

Also the original paperwork that came with it.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Letters From Hell #430. It's still in the original shipping sleeve and tissue paper because I don't have any room to hang it right now so am waiting to get it framed and matted.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter print #139, by Michael Whelan

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

A fun SK caricature by Bill Burrell, #33/40.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Rachel Readman's Constant Reader sculpture. This picture doesn't do it justice - it's beautiful! And yes, that's my DT set #64 in the background. Still missing The Gunslinger at this point, but the placeholder is the signed first edittion I posted earlier. The artist edition of LSOE isn't with it for now since the shelf isn't tall enough for the S/L!

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

And here's that copy of Prime Evil signed by Douglas E. Winter that I mentioned earlier. The book, I think, that started the "itch".

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

The Io baseball issue with SK's "Brooklyn August"

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

More promo stuff . . .

Pet Sematary II (movie) collectors cards (no clue why I bought these!)

Lisey's Story paperweight with the box and the back of the notebook that came with the ARC

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Needful Things bookseller promo items. Pics show the large envelope it all came in, the counter card with placeholder for the order slips, then the packages of bookmarks and postcards with the order slips that were supposed to be affixed to the counter card.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Overlook Hotel postcard

The Stand postcard (ABC television promo)

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

A shot of the shelf with most of my proofs (except the DT ones)

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter signed first edition

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story upthread, Gretchen.

Love all your stuff.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

One area of promo items I haven't seen much on is clothing. I have a bunch of shirts - here they come!

And no, they're not ironed - sorry

The Dark Tower (front/back)

Nightmares & Dreamscapes miniseries on TNT (front/back)

Creepshow

Prime Evil (front/back)

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

3 different Insomnia shirts:

Tour '94 (with a closeup of SK's face on the front - check out the red eyes!)

A more generic version (front/back). Same indie stores on the back in a different format.

And a nightshirt (front/back)!

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Secretary of Dreams, Volume One

Tan (front/back) - just a CD logo on the front

Black (logo closeup front/back) - different color scheme than the tan one, and this shows the actual DJ cover on the back

I also had a khaki colored one, but I gave it away.
    Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Rock Bottom Remainders

Thinner - this one's much heavier than a t-shirt and has a knit fold-down collar, long sleeves, and a sewn-on ribbing around the bottom. I think this might've been a crew shirt of some kind from the movie.

Last edited by gsvec; 08-08-2020 at 04:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast