Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2421

Thread: Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Actually, this article explains it better.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-anderso...155216114.html

If Donaldson read any of the paragraphs around it, he should have picked up the nuance of Anderson’s words. At the time, Anderson was referencing not his on-field ability or stature in the history of the game, but the blowback he faced for a jubilant celebration. Earlier that season, he had incurred punishment — via both unwritten rule and MLB decree — for flipping his bat on a homer. The Kansas City Royals beaned him and set off a skirmish, then MLB effectively suspended Anderson for as long as Royals pitcher Brad Keller — one game for Anderson, five games (or one start) for Keller — for using the n-word in the heat of the altercation.

Anderson’s point was clear: It was an uphill battle to be himself on the field, even when MLB was supposedly encouraging a freewheeling, celebratory style of play with its “Let the Kids Play” campaign. And the underlying implication was there for the taking, too: He was held to a higher standard, suspended as the victim of a beanball because he reacted by turning around a word designed to demean him.

Feeling like Jackie Robinson, in other words, is a significant, honorable weight to carry. It’s also a heavy one.

Presumably, Donaldson read Anderson’s comments not as an explanation of that experience, but as a boast. The apparent misunderstanding of the situation — willful or otherwise — has long roots. When MLB celebrates Jackie Robinson, it often feels like he was a conquering hero, like there was a mission accomplished. This, of course, is not true. He courageously began the fight for a place in the sport that Anderson and others still have to wage every single day.

Anderson is one of MLB’s best and most prominent Black players, but their ranks are dwindling. The White Sox executive Ken Williams excoriated his peers this past winter for baseball’s lack of progress in diversifying front offices.

No statistics are needed to get at the basic gist of the matter. Donaldson and Anderson both hail from Alabama, both got drafted in the first round, yet it should be abundantly clear to Donaldson that they walk different roads as major-league stars. Over and over, Anderson is asked about being a Black baseball player. About how he plays the game. About his opinion on sepia-toned baseball movies. About his responsibility to encourage more Black kids to play the game. About Jackie Robinson.

How many times, do you think, has Donaldson been asked to represent white baseball stars?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I've grown accustomed to, Kay and he is the play by play guy so not too bad. Those other two, Beltran and Maybin, OMG!!! Give me, Paulie every time!! lol

I got to say in regard to the, Chicago incident, granted what, Josh said was out of line a bit, i find it very interesting that, Tim Anderson would compare himself to, jackie Robinson!!! LOL You gotta be kidding me!! Jackie Robinson is a pillar to the game and, Tim Anderson is just a marginal SS!!! LOl I'm surprised his own team mates do not give him a ton of shit for thast ridiculous comment in print. lol What a world we now live in!! lol

I mean you make a comment like that (Anderson) you gotta be ready for the ball breaking that will follow a dumb fucking quote like that, no? lol

Imagine if, judge or Stanton made a comment like, "I'm the next, Ruth". lol They'd be on them like white on rice breaking their balls. And not for nothing but, Anderson ain't anywhere near the level of player either of those two are IMHO
    Donaldson is a POS and even his teammates aren't standing by him.

And Anderson didn't say he was the "next Jackie Robinson". His actual quote was:

“I kind of feel like today’s Jackie Robinson,” he says. “That’s huge to say. But it’s cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I’m getting to a point to where I need to change the game.”
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/30/ti...sox-speaks-out

Even so, that doesn't make what JD said acceptable.

It's weird how so many people think they should be the ones to tell a black man when he's allowed to be offended.
    I know, Donaldson is not the best of people but, not getting into semantics with you, it was still kind of a really dumb thing for, Anderson to say and he should have expected the ball breaking is all I'm saying. Instead, he took exception and made it a racial thing. That was out of line IMHO.

Donaldson is a reported asshole but, I think it was a "You're no Jackie Robinson" kinda thing and not a racial quip in any way. Course, I'm not in, Donaldson's head either. That's just the way I read it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In other news, the injuries begin!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yan...d-roster-moves

Andujar at 3rd!! I am actually rooting for this guy to return to some semblance of the past. Man, he was a doubles machine that year before the injury.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Happy Lou Gehrig Day!!!!!!

Bottom 7th of the second game, 0-0.Anyway, what I wanted to say is that the Yanks pitching has been way above my expectations!!! Who would have thought that, Cole (so far) is like a #3 or 4 starter!! lol Just a freaking amazing start to the season and I hope they can maintain it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

2 near perfect outings from the pitching staff!!! Man, anyone else feeling like '98? As our beloved, Yogi would say "It's deja-vu all over again". lol They're really in a "zone". baby and I couldn't be more elated with the season so far. the key will be whether or not they can maintain this level of play like the '98 team did. If they do manage it look out for #28 in '22!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

They have weathered the injuries pretty well.

I'm a little concerned about Andujar. His bat looks lively like it did a few years ago. I don't blame him for being upset. He's getting close to 30 and he's being shuttled between the majors and minors. I feel like they have another Clint Frazier situation here.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, we are 60+ games in and............................................... ..............................................

How about dem Bombers?????????????

Feels like '98 again!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta say, I understand the theory behind, Judge batting 2nd but, he has 25 dingers and only 49 RBI's. wouldn't it be smarter at this juncture to bat, Stanton 2nd and Judge 4th? Maybe then he'd hit 2-3 run shots rather than all the solo's.

Thoughts?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Judge has 48 RBIs coming into tonight's game, but I understand what you mean. I'm still not sure about that whole philosophy.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

It’s probably about maximizing the number of Judges at bats. If I were a Yankees fan I’d like to see him bat 3-4 to maximize his
    RBI opportunities but that doesn’t seem to be the way of todays baseball.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Judge has 48 RBIs coming into tonight's game, but I understand what you mean. I'm still not sure about that whole philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    It’s probably about maximizing the number of Judges at bats. If I were a Yankees fan I’d like to see him bat 3-4 to maximize his
    RBI opportunities but that doesn’t seem to be the way of todays baseball.
    I know what the theory is behind his spot. It's just that it would be great and smart if, Stanton was in a groove and picking up those RBI's. He's not as yet. Makes sense to me to switch them. Judge would likely have 70+ rbis hitting 4th. Then again, I guess, Boone just figures if it ain't broke................................makes some sense as well.

Man, the records just keep piling up!! Holmes, 31.1 scoreless just passed, Mo and 2 or 3 more innings and he'll have the all time record. Taillon has got to be the comeback of the year so far as deserving of an all star bid. IMHO. Todays win has him at 8-1!! lol Remember him last year? lol King is back to lights out pitching................just amazing. FYI they are sporting the exact record the '98 team did at this stage.

Ho-hum, another series win over a East team. they're like what, 18-2-2 (?) in series w/l record?

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fucking HUGE win tonight!!!!!!!!!! I gotta smile though at how typical a win this was for the boys. Hicks and Rizzo are back Cole takes a perfect game into the 8th and Holmes gives up a run (he was due). Clutch hits and tough pitching by Peralta (even though I chewed my nails) and defense when they really needed it. 1 down vs TB 2 to go!!!!

Oh, and Cole had 12 K's in his bid!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to July 7th-10th and July 15th-17th.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Looking forward to July 7th-10th and July 15th-17th.
    If I were you, I wouldn't!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

6-5 Yankees vs Red Sux!! Game 1!

Boston Sucks!!!

Couple of thoughts, bullpen was money once again. They should start calling, Holmes "Bugs". His pitches break like, "Bugs Bunny" was throwing 'em in a toon!!! lol He's also kind of a "Goofy" looking guy, but in a good way. lol Nice to see, Donaldson start to contribute. Stand out bad thing, $35 Mil for those 6 innings against the, Red Sux? At Fenway? Anybody seen the Yankee "Ace"? Where's that "warrior" attitude?

Am I outta line about, Cole? It's just...............$35 MILLION!! lol

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"Nasty Nestor" shirt is ready for tonights game!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

very enjoyable dismantling of the Red Sux today. Judge and Carpenter went deep twice!! Judge now has 33 blasts!! What a fucking year he is having!! Nice to have a laugher after that tense, extra inning loss and before a classic match-up on the mound between, Cole and Sale tomorrow!! That should be very interesting and last us through the ASG break whatever the outcome.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not concerned just yet, but I'm close. The starting pitching has been very poor and they only score runs if Judge is involved.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

damnnn it's crazy to think that the Yankees are currently the 2nd best baseball team in NY

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    damnnn it's crazy to think that the Yankees are currently the 2nd best baseball team in NY

So, you been saving that one up for the last 30-40 years, huh?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

They are this year. At least right now. The Mets still need to finish though. I'd be worried about DeGrom. His arm seems to tire easily.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's crazy to see the wheels come off like this. After those deadline moves I sure didn't expect this. I hope you guys figure it out...on Monday.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Yankees are toast. They'll make the playoffs, but won't last long.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with that assessment. That's been there MO for a while now. This year felt different for most of the year. Not sure exactly what happened.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

no leaders!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 LastLast