Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite artist/artwork

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Favorite artist/artwork

I just came back from a trip and during that trip I had a very interesting experience.

I have never been much of an art fan so to speak. I have a few artists that I like, but I have artwork only from two artists. I never had any sort of experience like I have heard many talk about having upon seeing certain works or certain artists' works. I had seen Dali's work and Picasso's (and have now seen them in person rather than in a book) but never had any real emotional response to them. That changed this past week when I had the chance to meet a man named Ken Shotwell. He is an artist who works with several different styles and has been working for quite some time. Most of his work has been outside of the US though and he is not well know here. I feel very fortunate to have met him. He was very cordial, somewhat quiet and reserved.

His work is a different story. It literally grabbed me and held me in it's thrall. If I could have afforded one of his works, I absolutely would have walked out with one. He surpasses every artist I have ever seen before, and I mean every artist. The quality of his work is superb, stunning, inspiring, and breathtaking. I look forward to the day I can own one of his works. Here are a few samples of his work. It is a collage of four of his works put into one to save space. Enjoy.

Who is YOUR favorite artist? Post an example of their work.

*MODS* If this is in the wrong place please move it to the right one.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

These are fantastic.
    My favorite artist is MC Escher.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

We should probably stick it in the Art Wall, I'll just have to get someone to move it there.

My favorite artist (besides Michael Whelan, of course) is Michael Goddard. He does the coolest martini-themed pictures and they're a total crack up.

DBF bought me this one for my birthday a few years ago (notice her little shadow in the background)

Here's some more samples of his work:

This one is my desktop at work (I'm an accountant):

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are cool dags
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a few i have, Artist is Tom Masse.

Then theres Mc Escher who is amazing

Country
    Country Flag

My brother is a huge Escher fan too. That's some great work Dags. It reminds me of some I saw last week that was themed around poker and Harley Davidson. The artist was Scott Jacobs. I think you'd like it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Too many to pick a single "favorite" but an artist that has been an influence on my own artwork is Alex Grey.

Some of his work...

His official site: http://www.alexgrey.com/

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I love Max Ernst, Rene Magritte, Dali(of course). All of the surrealists.

Ernst; The Elephant Celebes:

Dali; Two Pieces Of Bread Expressing A Sentiment Of Love:

Magritte; The Blank Cheque:

Magritte; The Red Model:

And some others:

Charnine; A Day in the Clouds:

Henry Fuseli; The Nightmare:

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Me 2! my favorite is Salvador Dalí
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Da...irgin_Auto.jpg
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This is turning out to be a really cool thread.

Another of my favorite artists, Michael Parkes (WTF is it with all the Michaels?)

I had this one for years - I finally passed it on to someone else:

This one's on my bedroom wall:

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

One of the (few) cool cultural things living here in the "Tampa Bay area" is the Salvador Dali museum across the bridge in St. Petersburg. I can't wait to take Ella there.

Another of my favorite artists is Stanley Donwood. Donwood is a close friend of Radiohead's Thom Yorke and has done all of their album and poster artwork since 1994's My Iron Lung EP.

Some of my favorite covers he's done...

Hail to the Thief

I Might Be Wrong

Bodysong

The Eraser

And some of Stanley's non RH work...

My Everyday Life

Operation Phantom Fury

Stanley Donwood's official site:
    http://www.slowlydownward.com/

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Alex Grey. . here's one I have on my wall. .

Though it's an actual painting and not a calendar. .

Then there's another of my fav's, H.R. Giger. .

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my Etsy finds, I have several of her prints, Kerry Beary:

Quote Originally Posted by ClicheGuevara View Post

Then there's another of my fav's, H.R. Giger. .
    I also love Giger. I'm not the kind of player that would really want an Ibanez guitar, but from a sheer aesthetic point of view, this Giger signature series one is pretty damn cool...

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Its hard to imagine anything but death metal coming from that guitar. It looks cool though, and you could stab people with the headstock if the moshing got out of hand.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That is pretty sweet. And Giger rocks.

Yeah, it's much more of a "hang on the wall" guitar than a playing guitar for the kind of music I play, but it is one of the cooler looking customized paint jobs I've ever seen. If I were Buckethead, I'd play something that looked like that for sure.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Too many to pick a single "favorite" but an artist that has been an influence on my own artwork is Alex Grey.

Some of his work...

His official site: http://www.alexgrey.com/
    Ah, this is the guy who does art work for Tool, isn't it?
    Slap me if I'm wrong, but the name rings a bell, and evidently the pictures do, too!

One of my favourite artists has to be Christopher Shy:

His work is just beautiful.

Rembrandt is another at the top, but he's a highly obvious choice!
    The Rembrandt museum in Amsterdam is one of the most wonderful places I've ever visited. It's stunning.

^one of my favourite paintings by him, yet I'm not sure why. It's certainly not the greatest, but it just really draws me in.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaRiley View Post
    Ah, this is the guy who does art work for Tool, isn't it?
    Slap me if I'm wrong, but the name rings a bell, and evidently the pictures do, too!
    Tool has used Alex Grey's work, that is correct. He did the cover for the album Lateralus as well as designing the stage setup for that tour. I believe some of his work was used on future tours as well.

They also have used the artwork of Adam Jones in many videos. Jones' work has some similarities with HR Giger's.

PS. I don't slap new members. Stick around, maybe someday but not today.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Tool has used Alex Grey's work, that is correct. He did the cover for the album Lateralus as well as designing the stage setup for that tour. I believe some of his work was used on future tours as well.

They also have used the artwork of Adam Jones in many videos. Jones' work has some similarities with HR Giger's.

PS. I don't slap new members. Stick around, maybe someday but not today. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification!
    ...And for decreasing my fear of a virtual slap.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Country
    Country Flag

Another of my favorite artists is Dave Dorman. This one adorns my bedroom wall.

Its companion piece is in my office.

This one has a remarque of an X-wing fighter done by Dorman (not this picture, this is just off the net) when I bought it from him.

I wonder what about that art could appeal to Sam.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

One of the (few) cool cultural things living here in the "Tampa Bay area" is the Salvador Dali museum across the bridge in St. Petersburg. I can't wait to take Ella there.
    Dali is one of my favorites, and I absolutely love that place. I could spend forever in there. My sister used to live in the Tampa area, and the first time I went down there to visit her I insisted that we had to take a trip over there. It's so much better seeing them in person.

And here is one of my favorite paintings by him
    Girl With Curls
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's so much better seeing them in person.
    Indeed it is. The last time we were in NYC we went to the MoMA and Dali's Persistence of Memory is there. I couldn't believe how small it was. I always thought it was much bigger than it actually is. Seeing how small it was only made it cooler.

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder what about that art could appeal to Sam.
    Might that be the Star Wars connection?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast