Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Roland, "Wild Bill" and John Wesly Hardin

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

Default Roland, "Wild Bill" and John Wesly Hardin

I dont know if anyone else knows of these people, beside Roland, but i'm sure a lot do. Do you think King may have placed features from both these law-man and outlaw?

Wild Bill was known for his quickdraw and general goodness as a lawman, he also killed his friend by accident( like roland and cuthbert killing alain) there are also crazy stories about him.

As for John Hardin, he was an outlaw who was said to be THE fastest at drawing his revolver.

Do you think that these two together helped kind make roland?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am sure King was influenced by many westerns and many "outlaws" but none more so than Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, according to King.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

/slightly off topic

I'm also pretty sure that whichever artist drew Roland in The Wastelands was inspired by Henry Fonda's character in Once Upon A Time In The West. I'll post a couple of pictures for comparison shortly.

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

I thought it was funny that these two guys reminded of Roland more than anything, even more than Clint Eastwood

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Check this out

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree Feev. I've always thought that picture was very much Henry Fonda-ish.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I don't see the resemblance.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can see it.
    I never liked that picture of Roland though.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Me neither. I do like it better than the one of Roland with Susannah on his back though. You know the one where Roland looks like he's 12 feet tall? It takes "long tall and ugly" a bit too far.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love that picture. You can see the cruel determination in those crystal blue eyes, and the lines and creases on his face insist he's seen his fair share of battles and losses.

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

Roland strikes me as more of a flawed hero. More of a Doc Holiday type, rather than a cold blooded former confedrate rader (Harden) or a arrogant, flamboyant blowhard that was good with a pistol (wild bill).

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I can see it.
    I was just joking, but I hated that picture too. I think I was too attached to the Gunslinger pictures by the time I got to the Wastelands.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Check this out

That picture reminds me more of a beloved uncle of mine. He lived right down the road from us and was very much like a second grandfather to me and my brothers.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010