Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 914 of 971 FirstFirst ... 414 814 864 904 912 913 914 915 916 924 964 ... LastLast
Results 22,826 to 22,850 of 24268

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    It's crazy France is so far behind. I received my shots in March.
    Agreed in some ways. I guess we had less money invested in vaccines in Europe. But also, I don't think that you and I are really comparable as I think that you are a couple of years younger than me

Jesus, you must be old as dirt!
    As old as Methuselah...
    Sad thing is I think I'm older than you.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeremy -- you don't owe anything back to the person who bought your speakers. Caveats were posted in the auction and they don't have any good recourse. Also, glad news that you'll soon get vaccinated! Hope it goes well!

John

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple things on my mind. One was a very recent discussion about this site and the FB site. I am a member of both sites and see the positives from both. To be honest, I personally use FB very, very little. Because of my professional position and my security clearance, I do not trust that anything I write there could not be used against me, my family, or my employer. So I've never been an active FB user.

I feel comfortable here when I see a thread that I'll know with high degree of confidence what it will be about. Discussions can last a day/week/month or longer but it's always in the same thread. On FB, I find it hard to pick up where I left off the day before because dynamic has changed. Something new has happened and yesterday's news has been forgotten. FB was never designed to be easy-to-navigate -- just a moneymaker for Zuckerberg. So I like the navigability of tdt.org -- and if questions arise, there's always someone to help.

But the conversations, and new tdt.org members have decreased in the past 5 years and while that is understandable, it is also lamentable. The FB page keeps growing and that is great. But is it a red herring? How many of the 3.6K FB members are a Charlie Fried, Bob Jackson, Chris Cavaliere, Dave Hutcheson, Alec Smith -- even a Gerald Winters (or his best friend)? I just haven't seen it yet. Some of that growth will eventually migrate here but I see it going the other way right now.

The "library" aspects and access to them here is without peer IMO. The work that people have completed regarding 1st editions, collectable editions, proofs and manuscripts, etc. is without peer. The ability to showcase your collections is a wonderful attribute. I just don't think that the FB page has evolved that far yet. And I'm not sure if the FB technology permits the kind of attributes that tdt.org retains.

The FB page is a welcome part of the SK community because it has brought hundreds of people into the world of book collecting. It has educated so many new people in so many ways. And that is always a good thing. It will be interesting to see how many of the 3.6K FB members put the effort into being a serious collector. And without the serious Stephen King collector, this great party will fall quickly.

So I want to acknowledge Jerome and his current and past admins and the tdt.org members who helped to grow this site to what it is. And to Kris for starting the SK FB page to share his SK enthusiasm to many new and far places while working with his admins and members to continue to improve upon its current state.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Although I haven't done so yet, I plan to be a bidder in the Heritage Auctions Rare Books offering on 9-10 June. I haven't decided if I want to take a trip and visit Dallas to participate in person (90% no) but I'm excited to take another shot at some HA SK auction lots! Last time was live on my computer and I won! Maybe lightning strikes again.

John

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Although I haven't done so yet, I plan to be a bidder in the Heritage Auctions Rare Books offering on 9-10 June. I haven't decided if I want to take a trip and visit Dallas to participate in person (90% no) but I'm excited to take another shot at some HA SK auction lots! Last time was live on my computer and I won! Maybe lightning strikes again.

John
    I've been participating in Heritage auctions for many years and have never had to be there in person, have only ever done it by internet. I think the only reason I'd go in-person is to see a high-value item with my own eyes to verify that I actually want it. They stopped in-person attendance for the duration of Covid, not sure if they've opened up yet.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    A couple things on my mind. One was a very recent discussion about this site and the FB site. I am a member of both sites and see the positives from both. To be honest, I personally use FB very, very little. Because of my professional position and my security clearance, I do not trust that anything I write there could not be used against me, my family, or my employer. So I've never been an active FB user.

I feel comfortable here when I see a thread that I'll know with high degree of confidence what it will be about. Discussions can last a day/week/month or longer but it's always in the same thread. On FB, I find it hard to pick up where I left off the day before because dynamic has changed. Something new has happened and yesterday's news has been forgotten. FB was never designed to be easy-to-navigate -- just a moneymaker for Zuckerberg. So I like the navigability of tdt.org -- and if questions arise, there's always someone to help.

But the conversations, and new tdt.org members have decreased in the past 5 years and while that is understandable, it is also lamentable. The FB page keeps growing and that is great. But is it a red herring? How many of the 3.6K FB members are a Charlie Fried, Bob Jackson, Chris Cavaliere, Dave Hutcheson, Alec Smith -- even a Gerald Winters (or his best friend)? I just haven't seen it yet. Some of that growth will eventually migrate here but I see it going the other way right now.

The "library" aspects and access to them here is without peer IMO. The work that people have completed regarding 1st editions, collectable editions, proofs and manuscripts, etc. is without peer. The ability to showcase your collections is a wonderful attribute. I just don't think that the FB page has evolved that far yet. And I'm not sure if the FB technology permits the kind of attributes that tdt.org retains.

The FB page is a welcome part of the SK community because it has brought hundreds of people into the world of book collecting. It has educated so many new people in so many ways. And that is always a good thing. It will be interesting to see how many of the 3.6K FB members put the effort into being a serious collector. And without the serious Stephen King collector, this great party will fall quickly.

So I want to acknowledge Jerome and his current and past admins and the tdt.org members who helped to grow this site to what it is. And to Kris for starting the SK FB page to share his SK enthusiasm to many new and far places while working with his admins and members to continue to improve upon its current state.

John
    The only FB group I follow religiously anymore is Paul Michael Kane's 19 Edition page. For the most part, it's about great people doing great things for each. I haven't seen the level of generosity that I see there anywhere else. And it's 99% drama free. TDT will always be my primary source of King information as long as it's around.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John
    Thank you John. It’s a lot of work and most times thankless but I feel strongly about it. Thank you for saying so. Cheers man
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the kind words John. I'm not much of a FB person myself, but I understand the rapid pace appeals to may. The greatest pride I have in our site, are our members, and our incredibly comprehensive Catalogs.
    Both platforms can exist and thrive in the presence of one another.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the kind words John. I'm not much of a FB person myself, but I understand the rapid pace appeals to may. The greatest pride I have in our site, are our members, and our incredibly comprehensive Catalogs.
    Both platforms can exist and thrive in the presence of one another.
    FB = BAD
    TDT.ORG = GOOD

That about sum it up, Boss?? LOL

Seriously, like I believe it was mentioned above Lord, knows who is looking at FB and taking notice what goes on there and what is stated/posted. It can adversely affect your life in so many non-specific ways. Here, all you have to worry about are 50-100 wacky, nerdy and crazed Horror book fans!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bill for the odd post. Thankfully it wasn't 500+ words.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

John
    TDT has a Facebook page?

Also I disagree that FB was created as a moneymaker for Zuckerberg. It may have eventually evolved into that but when he created it it was just a way for him and his friends to rank their fellow college students.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

John
    TDT has a Facebook page?

Also I disagree that FB was created as a moneymaker for Zuckerberg. It may have eventually evolved into that but when he created it it was just a way for him and his friends to rank their fellow college students.
    He is speaking on the Rare King page which deals with all rare items in the King world as well as associated artwork.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got my first vaccine shot today !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, J!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I got a notification from abebooks that a book I had created a want notification for had been listed. I opened that “want” over 11 years ago. Finally got a book I had long been looking for way cheaper then I thought I would.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    I got a notification from abebooks that a book I had created a want notification for had been listed. I opened that “want” over 11 years ago. Finally got a book I had long been looking for way cheaper then I thought I would.
    Fantastic! What did you get?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Fantastic! What did you get?
    Nothing fancy. The Secret of Excalibur by Andy McDermott. For whatever reason a hardcover copy of this book has been basically impossible to find. I think I saw one before I made the “want” for $300. And I’ve never seen one since. Now there are 2 but one is a library copy in good condition with no dust jacket.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In regards to the membership discussion of this site and the FB Rare King group, I am active in both. FB has the advantage of being where the people are and is drawing in King fans who previously did not know about the higher end collecting opportunities. This site has the advantage of age, wisdom, expertise, and for me, my longest friendships in the collecting world.

One key difference is that the Rare King group is a private group. People can see the group exists, but not what’s in it. Even lurkers must be a member in order to access the knowledge. Active participants know that generally everything they share is not accessible by the casual public and non-collecting friends. That’s why you don’t find the posts there on Google searches.

TheDarkTower is a public website (except for certain members-only general interest forums). All the collecting comments, discussions, catalogs, how-tos, and knowledge are free for everyone - member or not, search engine bots and collectors alike. I promote this site regularly on FB because both that group and this one together make for a stronger, well-rounded collector.

Other than perhaps the all-knowing RF, if the rest of us wanted to get a truer sense of how many people mine this site for information without ever joining, then Calvin’s Corner and all its vast knowledge, catalogs, and collections, would need to be a private sub-forum. Visible that it exists, but content available only to TDT members.

I wanted to clarify the misperception that the FB collecting group is more public when it’s the other way around and also perhaps why this site appears to grow slower in active membership numbers. I am not suggesting any course of action, just providing some food for thought.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I spend a lot of time on social network, mostly because I manage the Club Stephen King, because, otherwise, frankly I woudn't. As I dont share anything about my personal life.
    The FB app made it easier to share pix and everything

But I stilll comes on that message boards at least 5 times a day

Facebook isn't comparable
    FB has an algorythm that decides what to show you
    They can decide whether my friend, who posted about his upcoming sugery, willl let me know about it. Or not.

On this message boards I can see about whomever post about it in this post.
    It's more my choice than an algorythm

Do I want both? Yes
    I have been on this mb since more than 10 years and will continue to do so.

I however think that whomever decides to fully rely on FB is not at the top of their game. I have been managing a SK related FB page since more than 10 years.
    Yes, competition have come in. But even taking this into account, my visibily have significantly come down. FB page, group. Whatever. It's their game. They can tomorrow decide to take it down and in that case I willl just have my eyes to cry. Cause frankly, a 100 billion+ company won't give a flying f.ck

My website / message board? It's different. It's mine. it's my rule, and in theory, I can show you whatever I want

PS : I dont want to sound a James Bond villain
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I spend a lot of time on social network, mostly because I manage the Club Stephen King, because, otherwise, frankly I woudn't. As I dont share anything about my personal life.
    The FB app made it easier to share pix and everything

But I stilll comes on that message boards at least 5 times a day

Facebook isn't comparable
    FB has an algorythm that decides what to show you
    They can decide whether my friend, who posted about his upcoming sugery, willl let me know about it. Or not.

On this message boards I can see about whomever post about it in this post.
    It's more my choice than an algorythm

Do I want both? Yes
    I have been on this mb since more than 10 years and will continue to do so.

I however think that whomever decides to fully rely on FB is not at the top of their game. I have been managing a SK related FB page since more than 10 years.
    Yes, competition have come in. But even taking this into account, my visibily have significantly come down. FB page, group. Whatever. It's their game. They can tomorrow decide to take it down and in that case I willl just have my eyes to cry. Cause frankly, a 100 billion+ company won't give a flying f.ck

My website / message board? It's different. It's mine. it's my rule, and in theory, I can show you whatever I want

PS : I dont want to sound a James Bond villain
    Yeap, same happens with me. I've been managing the official Facebook Page for the publisher since 2010 (and the one of my bookstore since that year as well) along with a SK group and I quit as an admin for the group two years later because of the visibility issues. I grew tired of that. I understand forums became "outdated" with the social networks but it's the format I prefer.

Not to mention that the knowledge that has been shared here has been beyond amazing and I made some true friends. I know I'll keep visiting this place on a daily basis forever if I can.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Not to mention that the knowledge that has been shared here has been beyond amazing... I know I'll keep visiting this place on a daily basis forever if I can.
    ^^this^^
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been trying to contact Bill (Merlin1958) for 3 days with no success. Land line, Cell, PM....zero zip nada. Site shows a device registered to him logged on yesterday at 4am. Very unlike him.

Hoping for the best.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Were you able to get in touch with him, Jerome?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No.
    I'm told he's not feeling well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 914 of 971 FirstFirst ... 414 814 864 904 912 913 914 915 916 924 964 ... LastLast