Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 863 of 971 FirstFirst ... 363 763 813 853 861 862 863 864 865 873 913 963 ... LastLast
Results 21,551 to 21,575 of 24271

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As some of you know, I’m a permanent resident of a nursing home where I have no access to my collection, which remains at home. My wife has decided to sell our house, so she has to pack up all my collection and put it into storage.

Does anyone have an idea where she would be able to purchase enough boxes to house everything? I probably have between 3000 and 4000 items.

I am willing to sell everything but I don’t think she or my daughter would take the required care to send the items through the mail. The buyer would have to pick up the items at my home.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with almost everything listed if anyone is interested. No pricings are listed. PM me with your email if interested.

John

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    As some of you know, I’m a permanent resident of a nursing home where I have no access to my collection, which remains at home. My wife has decided to sell our house, so she has to pack up all my collection and put it into storage.

Does anyone have an idea where she would be able to purchase enough boxes to house everything? I probably have between 3000 and 4000 items.

I am willing to sell everything but I don’t think she or my daughter would take the required care to send the items through the mail. The buyer would have to pick up the items at my home.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with almost everything listed if anyone is interested. No pricings are listed. PM me with your email if interested.

John
    Sorry to hear that, John as I didn't realize it was now your permanent resident. You are the one who pointed me to this site back in 2015 when I began this crazy collecting journey. I wish you and yours the best moving forward with what has to be trying times.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep the boxes small. 25 books in a box will get ruined, and break the movers back.
    Look around for corrugated boxes ~18"x16"x14". Try to get them for less than $2 each. That's still a ton of work, and expensive.

http://www.shippingsupply.com/p-500-...ted-boxes.aspx

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

John
    Sorry to hear this John. You were one of the first people to welcome me to the forum and I don't forget that kind of stuff. I only wish you weren't 7 hours away. I know it's bitter sweet, but good luck with your collection.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

John
    John, you're a guy I've known on these boards for a very long time. It would be a pleasure to own parts of your collection. If you have that excel sheet, send it on over.

My good wishes to you always, my friend. if there is anything we can do to help you, please let us know. You've helped a lot of us with so much for so long.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Redacting this post because I later signed a confidentiality agreement regarding the subject.
    Last edited by amd013; 08-27-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Keep the boxes small. 25 books in a box will get ruined, and break the movers back.
    Look around for corrugated boxes ~18"x16"x14". Try to get them for less than $2 each. That's still a ton of work, and expensive.

http://www.shippingsupply.com/p-500-...ted-boxes.aspx
    Thanks, RF. Just what I need.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post

John
    John, you're a guy I've known on these boards for a very long time. It would be a pleasure to own parts of your collection. If you have that excel sheet, send it on over.

My good wishes to you always, my friend. if there is anything we can do to help you, please let us know. You've helped a lot of us with so much for so long.
    Thanks for the nice words, Kenny. I need your email via PM to send you the list.

John

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for your loss, Bill.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Oh boy, what a cluster fuck with my parents entombment.

My mother passed 13 years ago, and she hated the idea of being buried in the ground, didn't want to be worm food. So she and my Dad bought a vault in a mausoleum back in the 80's or 90's. They were to be entombed head to head in a shared vault. So when my mom was put in, she was supposed to be pushed all the way to the back to make room for my Dad when it came time to entomb him.

The mausoleum has been a complete eye sore since she was entombed. She was entombed on the inside. For years there were bricks falling and holes on the outside. The inside was musty and mildewy with wet carpets. Originally we all had keys to get in, then they changed the lock and required to only visit during office hours. They eventually installed a keypad, which I understand didn't always work. The cemetery offices which are in the same building as the mausoleum is currently closed due to mold in the air!

After the funeral of my father about 20mins after we left for a family meal, we get a call from the funeral home director. He told us he was still at the mausoleum and there was an issue. He said that when the originally entombed my Mom they did not push her all the way back, and there was no way to put my Dad in the same vault because my Mom couldn't go any further back. We talked to the manager of the cemetary (under new owners since my Mom was entombed), he said they would pay to upgrade my parents to a vault on the outside of the mausoleum, here my parents would be side by side rather then head to head. They would also update the lettering and include emblem of a Cardinal for my Mom and a army emblem for my Father.

Today my sister has been forwarding me texts from the funeral home director with updates. It appears the asshole who put my Mom in just wedged her in there so they could just barley get the plate back up. The casket is dented and can't be budge in either direction. The funeral home is going to make them buy my mom a new casket. It sounds like they will have to cut the end of the casket off and move my mother into a new casket, and then fold in the sides of the casket to remove it. The cemetery tried to blame the funeral home for providing an oversized casket, but the funeral home manager measured and proved them wrong.

Sounds like the cemetery's insurance will pay for everything. Why the fuck weren't we told of this 13 yrs ago and given the option to relocate the vault location (still only about half filled)?

heres a picture

Spoiler:
    It isn't over, even when you're dead!

Here's hoping everything works out.

That's a lot of unnecessary stress.

Country
    Country Flag

John, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You've been, and will continue to be, a great benefit to this site and the King collecting community.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    John, having moved my entire collection many times over the years with the military I can say without a doubt that A) Smaller boxes are better and will result in less damage (better to have 100 boxes with 5 books and packing material in each than 50 boxes with 10 in each) and B) If at all possible, pack your books yourself or trust someone to do it who understands your collection and that they're not just books. Do NOT let a moving company do it for you. Finally C) For your most valuable items it's worth investing in hard-sided containers with locking covers, like RubberMaid Action Packers or something along those lines. Because no matter how carefully you pack cardboard boxes they can still be crushed, torn, or dampened. You can also use the standard clear plastic 48 quart containers with lids (blanket boxes), but those are made of flimsier plastic which is prone to shattering in cold weather and cannot be sealed well like the ones with locking covers.

I'm dropping you a PM with my email address for your list as well John, would love to take a look through it if you're considering selling. I sincerely hope you don't have to, but if you do ....

George
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Redacting this post because I latter signed a confidentiality agreement not to discuss it on social media.
    Last edited by amd013; 08-27-2021 at 07:38 AM.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hope if all gets sorted out favorable, Mike.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

John
    Sorry to hear this. Wish I was back home as I could/would help you pack. We talked on the phone once maybe 5 years ago. I'm hoping for the best for you.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John
    Hello John, sorry to hear that you have to sell your collection.
    Good luck with it
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just wanted to add my belated condolences to Mae and Bill. I too lost my Father recently, on July 30. My 2 sisters and I got to be by his side for a good part of his last 2 weeks. I hope you both have the family and friends support like I had during this time. I also hope you had the time and opportunity to share memories with your family and parent's friends.
    My very sincere condoleances
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

My mother passed 13 years ago, and she hated the idea of being buried in the ground, didn't want to be worm food. So she and my Dad bought a vault in a mausoleum back in the 80's or 90's. They were to be entombed head to head in a shared vault. So when my mom was put in, she was supposed to be pushed all the way to the back to make room for my Dad when it came time to entomb him.

The mausoleum has been a complete eye sore since she was entombed. She was entombed on the inside. For years there were bricks falling and holes on the outside. The inside was musty and mildewy with wet carpets. Originally we all had keys to get in, then they changed the lock and required to only visit during office hours. They eventually installed a keypad, which I understand didn't always work. The cemetery offices which are in the same building as the mausoleum is currently closed due to mold in the air!

After the funeral of my father about 20mins after we left for a family meal, we get a call from the funeral home director. He told us he was still at the mausoleum and there was an issue. He said that when the originally entombed my Mom they did not push her all the way back, and there was no way to put my Dad in the same vault because my Mom couldn't go any further back. We talked to the manager of the cemetary (under new owners since my Mom was entombed), he said they would pay to upgrade my parents to a vault on the outside of the mausoleum, here my parents would be side by side rather then head to head. They would also update the lettering and include emblem of a Cardinal for my Mom and a army emblem for my Father.

Today my sister has been forwarding me texts from the funeral home director with updates. It appears the asshole who put my Mom in just wedged her in there so they could just barley get the plate back up. The casket is dented and can't be budge in either direction. The funeral home is going to make them buy my mom a new casket. It sounds like they will have to cut the end of the casket off and move my mother into a new casket, and then fold in the sides of the casket to remove it. The cemetery tried to blame the funeral home for providing an oversized casket, but the funeral home manager measured and proved them wrong.

Sounds like the cemetery's insurance will pay for everything. Why the fuck weren't we told of this 13 yrs ago and given the option to relocate the vault location (still only about half filled)?

heres a picture

Spoiler:
    A few years ago, when my dad passed away I found out something that stuck with me about cemeteries : in France, graves are not necessarily paid for an infinite time.
    If I recall correctly, there are different time periods you can buy, depending of the policies of the cemeteries. But basically it's like 5 years, 15, 30 or 50. The one my dad went to, the local one, don't do in perpetuity anymore.

In theory, after that period, the local city council will send a bill to renew that period, otherwise they are allowed to dig out the graves and reuse that space...

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

heres a picture

Spoiler:
    A few years ago, when my dad passed away I found out something that stuck with me about cemeteries : in France, graves are not necessarily paid for an infinite time.
    If I recall correctly, there are different time periods you can buy, depending of the policies of the cemeteries. But basically it's like 5 years, 15, 30 or 50. The one my dad went to, the local one, don't do in perpetuity anymore.

In theory, after that period, the local city council will send a bill to renew that period, otherwise they are allowed to dig out the graves and reuse that space...
    I'm an American with dual citizenship and live in the US in the summer and Europe in the winter and that fact defies the logic of Americans. We're just not used to a body not being there forever.

Because I know that to be true (about the body not being able to stay buried for eternity), where does the body go when the time is up?

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    this is very sad to hear. It is never easy to sell your collection. Believe me, I know.
    Good luck with the sales!

Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree with you. To me, it sounds like a business reason, trying to get more money from people.
    I guess that the dug out the tomb. Irrespectful.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

We had a pretty bad storm roll through on Monday afternoon. A couple of small tornadoes even touched down doing some minor damage to a few buildings around town. Lots of trees and tree branches down and a quite a few downed power lines.

We have a power pole with a transformer literally in our backyard. It serves about a dozen houses in our neighborhood. It blew about 3:30 on Monday afternoon. It's now 8:00 on Wednesday morning and we still don't have power restored.

Both of our refrigerators and freezers are empty. Most of the freezer stuff we were able to take to my daughter's house. The rest we threw away. All the stuff from the fridge is in a large cooler of ice in our kitchen.

We can cook food on our stove top but our oven requires electricity. It's not super hot outside during the day so we are able to open the windows but it's still a little stuffy with no fans to move the air around.

Latest update from the electric company is that they'll hopefully have it back on by Saturday.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

heres a picture

Spoiler:

I'm an American with dual citizenship and live in the US in the summer and Europe in the winter and that fact defies the logic of Americans. We're just not used to a body not being there forever.

Because I know that to be true (about the body not being able to stay buried for eternity), where does the body go when the time is up?
    We have a similar policy as in Europe but for public cemeteries you don't have to pay the "renewal", you just have to aknowledge you want to keep the space where your relative is buried. If no acknowledgment is given, after a while the remains go to a common grave.

John
    I'm very sorry to read this, John. Good luck with your sales.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Quick question regarding King's very first Signed Limited edition. I know Firestarter is considered the very first King limited, but I'm wondering about the Danse Macabre S/L. The copyright of the DM S/L says 1981, but TDT catalogue states it was "available for sale from 1980". Do we know exactly when in 1980, and could it possibly before the July Firestarter dates?
    Hi Antoni, I'm quite confident the S/L of Danse Macabre was only ready to ship in 1981, and not in 1980. I was at King's archive last summer and there I looked at proofs of DM. According to my notes, Abe Lerner from Everest house was still asking for additional proofs of the index at the back of DM in January 1981, so unless the S/L doesn't have the index at the back, it could not have been ready to ship before February 1981 at the earliest.

I also found this announcement for DM in the archives of Publishers Weekly in an issue from February 1981:

I'm also curious to know where the info came from that the limited edition was available in 1980.

I do think at one point the plan was to publish in 1980. The contract was signed in 1979. And in the issue of January 18, 1980 of Publishers Weekly, there's this announcement:

(link to the PW archive page)

I believe the publication may have been postponed by a year because King wanted to do an extensive rewrite of his first draft, which he did in the first half of 1980, adding many references to books and movies that came out in the first half of 1980.

In short: these are my reasons to believe that the S/L of DM was only available in April 1981.
    Somehow I missed this post. Excellent info! Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It's the same in Italy; it's about space limitations versus money. In my wife's village of San Giovanni di Polcenigo the cemetery is very small (a kid could run around the entire perimeter wall probably in less than a minute) and old, built in the 1700's. With that you're talking 300+ years of family burials in a tiny space.

There is a time limit on initial burials, I think it's 40 years. At the end of that time a notice is sent to the last known residence asking if they'd like to have the body remain interred or not. If yes they stay, if not they are exhumed and moved to common unmarked "county" grave.

My mother-in-law received one of those notices somewhat recently for a relative of my father-in-law that had lived in his house a looooong time ago, one of his mother's brothers or something like that. She didn't even know the person, and my father-in-law has passed, but she still got the notice and did the paperwork to keep that person interred.

It's kinda like the movie "Coco", where their spirits live on until they are no longer remembered by anyone alive.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 863 of 971 FirstFirst ... 363 763 813 853 861 862 863 864 865 873 913 963 ... LastLast