Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 810 of 972 FirstFirst ... 310 710 760 800 808 809 810 811 812 820 860 910 ... LastLast
Results 20,226 to 20,250 of 24288

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill -- glad you are with us!

Stealing signs is part of baseball and always will be. Billy Martin was a great sign-stealer! But using anything other than your god-given ability to steal signs is terrible and every single Astro or Red Sox player who benefitted individually from the sign-stealing should be punished in some way, IMO. From a team perspective, the titles are tainted but they can't be given to another club because the other American League beaten by the Astros and Red Sox in the playoffs could say that they were better than the National League (I think the Dodgers in both years) representative. So maybe just vacate the titles in 2017 and 2018.

A funny story about signs. I was a catcher when I played baseball. I couldn't flash the signs fast enough with my fingers so I'd nod to the right for a fastball, nod to the left for a curve, and look straight ahead for a change-up. That worked well in HS because no pitcher we had threw anything else. It also worked pretty well in college. I'd touch my chest protector or shin guard along with a left/right nod for a pitcher with a slider, forkball, knuckleball, etc. I would also flash a number with my fingers as a complete decoy. So things went well in college, too.

But playing for my home town in a summer league, I had an veteran pitcher (34-38, I guess) who had 5 pitches. Fastball, curve, slider, change, and an occasional knuckleball. I regularly got pissed with him because he would call off my signs. That was a no-no for me -- even for a veteran pitcher. So I'm 20 and in my third year with my home town team and we were playing a huge rival -- a team from a town 4 miles away. The score was close in the late innings and we were leading but the other team had a man on second base. Their best hitter was at the plate when my pitcher called me to come to the mound. He was concerned that my fake finger signs would somehow tip the runner on 2nd base and he'd relay the sign to the batter. I said that's bullshit and told him not to be so paranoid. So we continued as normal and the first 2 pitches were swinging strikes on curveballs. He called me to the mound again still worried that somehow the man on 2nd base was stealing my FAKE fingers signs. I assured him that wasn't the case. I get back behind the plate and I call for a fastball and flash 2 fingers. He calls me off. I call for another fastball and flash 1 finger, then 2. He calls me off again. This happened 2 more times and I was fuming. So after about the 5th time call for a fastball, I changed my fake finger sign to just giving him the finger. When he saw that he started laughing, laughing so hard that the ball fell out of his hand, hit his foot and rolled about 10 feet away from the mound. The runner on 2nd easily ran to third before my pitcher retrieved the ball and we called time out. Our manager ran out to the mound and asked what was so damn funny and why the hell did he drop the ball and let the runner get to third base. My pitcher gave the manager a quick recap of the signs, thought for a few seconds before asking the pitcher "Well, if you don't understand that sign, I'll get someone in who does understand it." The fastball was thrown and the batter flied out easily. We held on to win the game. That was the only time I ever gave my pitchers the finger for a sign.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post

Stealing signs is part of baseball and always will be. Billy Martin was a great sign-stealer! But using anything other than your god-given ability to steal signs is terrible and every single Astro or Red Sox player who benefitted individually from the sign-stealing should be punished in some way, IMO. From a team perspective, the titles are tainted but they can't be given to another club because the other American League beaten by the Astros and Red Sox in the playoffs could say that they were better than the National League (I think the Dodgers in both years) representative. So maybe just vacate the titles in 2017 and 2018.

A funny story about signs. I was a catcher when I played baseball. I couldn't flash the signs fast enough with my fingers so I'd nod to the right for a fastball, nod to the left for a curve, and look straight ahead for a change-up. That worked well in HS because no pitcher we had threw anything else. It also worked pretty well in college. I'd touch my chest protector or shin guard along with a left/right nod for a pitcher with a slider, forkball, knuckleball, etc. I would also flash a number with my fingers as a complete decoy. So things went well in college, too.

But playing for my home town in a summer league, I had an veteran pitcher (34-38, I guess) who had 5 pitches. Fastball, curve, slider, change, and an occasional knuckleball. I regularly got pissed with him because he would call off my signs. That was a no-no for me -- even for a veteran pitcher. So I'm 20 and in my third year with my home town team and we were playing a huge rival -- a team from a town 4 miles away. The score was close in the late innings and we were leading but the other team had a man on second base. Their best hitter was at the plate when my pitcher called me to come to the mound. He was concerned that my fake finger signs would somehow tip the runner on 2nd base and he'd relay the sign to the batter. I said that's bullshit and told him not to be so paranoid. So we continued as normal and the first 2 pitches were swinging strikes on curveballs. He called me to the mound again still worried that somehow the man on 2nd base was stealing my FAKE fingers signs. I assured him that wasn't the case. I get back behind the plate and I call for a fastball and flash 2 fingers. He calls me off. I call for another fastball and flash 1 finger, then 2. He calls me off again. This happened 2 more times and I was fuming. So after about the 5th time call for a fastball, I changed my fake finger sign to just giving him the finger. When he saw that he started laughing, laughing so hard that the ball fell out of his hand, hit his foot and rolled about 10 feet away from the mound. The runner on 2nd easily ran to third before my pitcher retrieved the ball and we called time out. Our manager ran out to the mound and asked what was so damn funny and why the hell did he drop the ball and let the runner get to third base. My pitcher gave the manager a quick recap of the signs, thought for a few seconds before asking the pitcher "Well, if you don't understand that sign, I'll get someone in who does understand it." The fastball was thrown and the batter flied out easily. We held on to win the game. That was the only time I ever gave my pitchers the finger for a sign.

John
    The catcher is usually the most intelligent, level-headed player on the team. Pitchers on the other hand...something not quite right in the head.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

But it is the best postal system in the world, bar none.
    Apart from all the dozens of non USA ones who are better.

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    But it is the best postal system in the world, bar none.
    Apart from all the dozens of non USA ones who are better.

I have to say I've sold 100's of Items through Ebay and I've almost never had any problems with the USPS. I prefer to have item's I've bought shipped by them.

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I also never had any problem's with items shipped to me from the UK.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A hearty shout-out to the much-maligned USPS. I recently sent an item overseas via Priority Express Mail. Guaranteed delivery date was within a week (5 business days). Delivered on the 4th day. Another item sent the same way and it was delivered as advertised. I sent a 3rd item (same place each time) and it got stuck in overseas Customs for 3 days. And, as a result of that delay, the item was delivered a day late.

Today I went to my Post Office hoping they'd tell me just what I needed to do to get a refund -- or if I'd even get a refund since it sat in another country's Customs office for 3 days. Not only did they tell me that I would get a refund, they filled out the form needed to process a refund and gave me a refund on the spot. There were a dozen people in line ahead of me when I arrived yet I was there less than 15 minutes.

The USPS delivers to every city in the country six days a week and does a pretty amazing job getting the work done. Do they make mistakes? Yes, they are human and there are some bad actors. But it is the best postal system in the world, bar none, and I think they do a pretty damn good job day in and day out.

John
    I gotta chime in with props for the USPS as I recently sent a good sized box to, Israel. While it arrived 5 days later than advertised, it arrived in a battle torn area, with no damaged and the contents intact.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    I agree with everything you have said with the added caveat that not only should the title be vacated and the trophy returned, but the winner's shares as well and in turn be given to a worthy charity. You know, something that no one has yet to mention is that MLB enjoys an exemption from the Sherman Anti-Trust laws due to it's status as the "National Past time" among other things. The exemption is fact a very pecariously held advantage to MLB that was established many years ago and is widely held as one of the Supreme courts worst decisions https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29...ust-exemption/ . One could even argue that the Commissioner's acts with regard to the sign stealing scandal represents a form of collusion between the Astro's and MLB to determine the champion. Given that the commissioner so kindly pointed out that the cheating took place in 2017/18 and possibly 19 it could be considered an ongoing act. No other sport or business of any kind enjoys the exemption MLB does and if it were challenged would likely fall.

It's something that perhaps fans should consider as a motive for forming a collective to challenge the Commissioners ruling. That and the fact that MLB owes all of it's revenue stream, ultimately, to the fans. It's another reason for the fans to band together and take back the game from the greedy, cheating and overall lack of character Owners, Commissioners office and the offending players. Of course that's just my humble opinion.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    A hearty shout-out to the much-maligned USPS. I recently sent an item overseas via Priority Express Mail. Guaranteed delivery date was within a week (5 business days). Delivered on the 4th day. Another item sent the same way and it was delivered as advertised. I sent a 3rd item (same place each time) and it got stuck in overseas Customs for 3 days. And, as a result of that delay, the item was delivered a day late.

Today I went to my Post Office hoping they'd tell me just what I needed to do to get a refund -- or if I'd even get a refund since it sat in another country's Customs office for 3 days. Not only did they tell me that I would get a refund, they filled out the form needed to process a refund and gave me a refund on the spot. There were a dozen people in line ahead of me when I arrived yet I was there less than 15 minutes.

The USPS delivers to every city in the country six days a week and does a pretty amazing job getting the work done. Do they make mistakes? Yes, they are human and there are some bad actors. But it is the best postal system in the world, bar none, and I think they do a pretty damn good job day in and day out.

John
    I gotta chime in with props for the USPS as I recently sent a good sized box to, Israel. While it arrived 5 days later than advertised, it arrived in a battle torn area, with no damaged and the contents intact.
    Was the Israel package for Moshe? I miss seeing him around here.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

There are no battle torn areas of Israel.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post

John
    I havent heard about Moshe since a couple of years or so. Is he ok?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Yes, in fact it was. A spring training package. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Well, you would know being in Fla, right? According to him they are still dodging rockets once a month. To me that's battle torn. You're entitled to your definition of course.

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

John
    I havent heard about Moshe since a couple of years or so. Is he ok?
    Yes, he's fine. They have this very cool umbrella defense system which I forget the name of at the moment that keeps them relatively safe. He recently moved to a new, nicer house that has kept him kinda busy for the last few months with construction, legal and moving. We talk all the time and I can pass your best wishes on if you all like.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, you would know being in Fla, right? According to him they are still dodging rockets once a month. To me that's battle torn. You're entitled to your definition of course.
    I'll just stick with the actual definition.

Country
    Country Flag

You can spout your BS here. You don't have to hide by leaving negative rep. As if that actually mattered.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am going to see Brooks and Dunn in Jersey this year... its labour day weekend. WHEN I LOOKED AT FLIGHTS about a month ago... they wanted $1150CAD return to go there for that weekend... today? They were $345.58CAD all in. Man that virus is really affecting travel rates. WOW.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I am going to see Brooks and Dunn in Jersey this year... its labour day weekend. WHEN I LOOKED AT FLIGHTS about a month ago... they wanted $1150CAD return to go there for that weekend... today? They were $345.58CAD all in. Man that virus is really affecting travel rates. WOW.
    You should be okay heading south. From what I hear the road virus heads north.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John

You can spout your BS here. You don't have to hide by leaving negative rep. As if that actually mattered.

I DID NO SUCH THING!!! And fuck you very much for making a presumption without the benefit of fact. You can also take your high minded definitions and shove them right where the sun don't shine!!! I suppose it would never occur to someone like you that there might be other folks in the world that don't appreciate your smug ass, huh?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

John

I DID NO SUCH THING!!! And fuck you very much for making a presumption without the benefit of fact. You can also take your high minded definitions and shove them right where the sun don't shine!!! I suppose it would never occur to someone like you that there might be other folks in the world that don't appreciate your smug ass, huh?
    I didn't accuse you. My post was directed to the coward who gave me negative rep. You sure do seem to be owning it though.

The appreciation of ignorant fucks is not something I aspire to.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

So, Brian...you're saying your comment wasnt towards Bill? I sure read it that way myself.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post

So, Brian...you're saying your comment wasnt towards Bill? I sure read it that way myself.

Mulleins
    I made sure that my comment wasn't specific to Bill, since I realized that it could have been someone else.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John

John

I didn't accuse you. My post was directed to the coward who gave me negative rep. You sure do seem to be owning it though.

Yet, an intelligent person would not quote someone and then claim to be non-specific.

BTW, "Battle Torn" actually comes up as "War Torn". I either case I would say it's open to ones' interpretation of the situation:

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently I have 3 weeks of holidays to be taken before the end of may.

I will probably take 1 week per month... but given that we plan on going to iceland over the summer, which is going to be very expensive, that means, that I probably be doing much those 3 weeks of holidays :-(
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

John

John

Yet, an intelligent person would not quote someone and then claim to be non-specific.

BTW, "Battle Torn" actually comes up as "War Torn". I either case I would say it's open to ones' interpretation of the situation:

I wasn't quoting you.

Do you really want to compare your intellect with mine? You are even dumber than I thought.

English doesn't need to be "translated" into English. Your "war torn" definition isn't descriptive of Israel either. Perhaps you meant warmongers. Is English your second language? That would explain a lot, pendejo.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Meanwhile...

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Meanwhile...

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Mulleins
    In some states today, it’s going to be a Super Tuesday.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John

John

John

I wasn't quoting you.

Do you really want to compare your intellect with mine? You are even dumber than I thought.

English doesn't need to be "translated" into English. Your "war torn" definition isn't descriptive of Israel either. Perhaps you meant warmongers. Is English your second language? That would explain a lot, pendejo.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 810 of 972 FirstFirst ... 310 710 760 800 808 809 810 811 812 820 860 910 ... LastLast