Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 971 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for your support everyone. Forgive me if I've posted this elsewhere already...I am being kept on for up to 3 months to help shut down our unit and transition our effort to either the home office or elsewhere overseas. My severance kicks in after that, and given my 17 1/2 years of service, I will get nearly a full paycheck for the better part of a year. This will give me time to find a new job and hopefully the economy and my industry will improve during that time. My industry is presently flooded with people and more cuts are coming to be sure.

So, bottom line is I'm shaken but still standing for the time being.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's great news, David. I hope you'll find something soon. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

David - your best asset will always be yourself. I'm sure you'll find something sooner than later. Sending positive thoughts!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bob : i remember this picture! It have been published in Stephen King by George Beahm

David : What a shock and a lot of bad news/ good (if can call it good) news all of sudden.. Best wishes in those hard times for everyone!

And i will going on the job market... My girlfriend will try to enter (the fashion industry) by june : it's gonna be tough....
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

David I am sorry to hear about you job loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

David, sorry to hear the news. Looks like you have some breathing room for a little while though. All the best. I guess we'll have ample opportunity to get together now :p

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

David,

So sorry to hear your news. I have been where you are at, and I know it sucks.

I have no doubt that a nice guy like yourself will find something in no time at all.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'm so sorry to hear about your job, David. But I'm glad you'll be getting the severance package - that should really help. Good luck to you in your job search.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Awful news...I know too many people in the same situation...just sucks...

This is not meant lightly AT ALL, but what does this do for your collecting? I know you had a bunch of LSOE orders. Are you still all set with them? I hope you're in good enough shape to not need a big sell off or anything!

It's a cliche, but as long as you have your health, all things pass.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Ok, here is a real shocker! I just found out 2 minutes ago that my whole team has been laid off from Credit Suisse. I find out my package in 2 more minutes.

I'll take any good will anybody wants to send me.

17 1/2 years....
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Thank you for your support everyone. Forgive me if I've posted this elsewhere already...I am being kept on for up to 3 months to help shut down our unit and transition our effort to either the home office or elsewhere overseas. My severance kicks in after that, and given my 17 1/2 years of service, I will get nearly a full paycheck for the better part of a year. This will give me time to find a new job and hopefully the economy and my industry will improve during that time. My industry is presently flooded with people and more cuts are coming to be sure.

So, bottom line is I'm shaken but still standing for the time being.
    Holy crap. I am so sorry to hear this, Wiz. Am I doing the math correctly, you'll be paid through 2009? I hope so. That should give you and the family plenty of time to move out here to California.

Best to you during this time of change. I'm glad that you have a decent cushion of time to re-establish yourself elsewhere. I have no doubt that you'll land on your feet.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

We are all glad to hear of the severance you got. At least they were decent enough to give you that. We have no doubt you'll recover from this in good time.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

*stamps foot*

Now Patrick, we ALL know the best place to live is Colorado.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Lots of positive thoughts go out to wizardsrainbow.
    Tough times indeed, but soon there will only be one way forward - up
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Wow, sorry to hear that David. Did you have any suspicions that this was coming? That severence pack is pretty good though, and the additional 3 months of prep work will help stretch it out. I'll be sure to send good thoughts your way in the coming months.

Our company (Georgia Pacific) just annouced cuts in the corporate IT staff, but nothing has been announced at the manufacturing mill level yet. There's always the chance in an economy like this, but I still feel pretty safe at this point. We are primarily making retail consumer products and are currently striving to increase our capacity to meet orders. No matter how shitty the economy does, everyone still needs toilet paper

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Georgia Pacific...know anyone at Packaging Corporation of America?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Awful news...I know too many people in the same situation...just sucks...

This is not meant lightly AT ALL, but what does this do for your collecting? I know you had a bunch of LSOE orders. Are you still all set with them? I hope you're in good enough shape to not need a big sell off or anything!

It's a cliche, but as long as you have your health, all things pass.
    My collection for the most part will remain intact for the present. As some of you know, I have sold off some extra copies or some anthologies that just didn't hold my collector's interest. I have more of that to do, but only because I had already made the decision to do it.

My LSOE order of 7 AEs and 6 S/L stands and I expect to receive those books within the next month, now that the traycases are at Grant. I have 4 complete same-number sets that I am keeping and 2 partial sets that I may try to sell (#32 and #363). If my $$ situation got so bad that I needed to sell books, my core DT collection and remarques would be the last to go. I have many signed 1st trade editions of other King books that I would sell first. I think I could raise considerable $$ just by selling off some of my non-DT stuff.

As for a continuation of collecting, for the past year and a half, I have done a good job of being "collecting neutral," meaning that all my acquisitions have been paid for by sales of other books. It is my intention to continue that strategy.

And to answer Patrick's question (I think it was him...too lazy to look as I type this), my severance package was far better than anyone elses due to my years of dedicated service. I am paid regular way until April 22, then my severance kicks in which works out to virtually a year's salary (although because it comes in a lump sum will be taxed at the highest possible rate ). So, net net, I am paid until April 22, 2010. The only major nearer-term concern I have is that my healthcare coverage on my family will expire in October of this year.

Other answer to "Did I suspect this was coming.": I was not totally taken by surprise. When you see so many announcements within my industry (Banking/Finance) of massive job layoffs, and indeed within my own company, you begin to mentally prepare for such an event. So while I WAS surprised that they actually let go my entire unit, I have been talking with my wife about what I would do if I ever got laid off for at least 4 months.

Sorry for the long-winded answers. Never in my mind did I think I would be dominating this thread when I started it yesterday morning.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was correct then - I'm glad to hear that you've got such a long period, although the health care component may be the limiting factor in the timeline. We'll be rooting for you, Wiz.

If you're tired of "dominating this thread" and want to change the subject, I've got some news.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Spill it!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well???????????
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick? Calling Patrick. Oh, Patrick.....

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

That stinks Wiz, 17 1/2 years, change is going to be tough. I longest I've stayed at one job is seven years. But it sounds like they were fair and you'll be paid for a year which should be plenty of time to pick and choose where you want to work next. Wish you good luck, and I'm sure you'll have it!

btw, if you are looking to unload a LSOE, I would be very appreciative. My number was over 1250 and I wasn't able to get a book.
    Geoff

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

You are all NOT takin David away from me!! He's staying on the east coast! SO BACK OFF!!! Dammit!

Anyway, I will repeat what I said on the phone. Keep your chin up. You got a better deal than most lately who have lost their jobs and you get ALL THAT TIME with your family! OOOOOO I am off in April...counts three months ahead...Wiz will be home, I am coming to visit!!!! WOO HOO!! And if you need help packing all the books from your office, I can help. You won't mind if #32 goes missing, would you?

And Bob, I am sending you a PM about that project....
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Hey guys !

I am going to CHINA for the Chinese New Year! Yay!!!

So I will be gone until next week - so look for me then!

x

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Have fun Kenny!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Have a great time, Kenny! I was in China last October, I look forward to hearing about your trip and where there you went.

Sorry about that, guys. I posted above, then had to get offline because of work.

My personal news:

As many of you know, we have two kids. Come the end of June, we'll have three.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 971 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast