Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 971 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Eric - Best of Luck on all exams and essays! We'll be here when you get back...

.... looking forward to seeing your next "Pride and Joy" !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good luck, Eric!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Everyone,

I've been silent this past week due to two very cool surprises by my oldest daughter.

First: Attending a local benefit art auction with my daughter, they announce a piece by a surprise local artist who will sign the piece during the auction. The canvas painted piece was lovely. It came time for the bidding to start, right in the middle of the auction they stop it and announce for the artist to come forward and sign the piece. My jaw dropped when my daughter stood up to a huge applause, walked forward and signed the piece. A local collector bought it. I cried for an hour after that. (I'm a softy for my ladies)

To top off the night over a cup of coffee:

My daughter said, "I've always enjoyed watching you collect your books and artwork and hearing your travel stories looking for books. I would love to take a few days, travel around and look for Harry Potter books. I want to collect first edition Harry Potter books".

I had some time available, she was between college classes, so we hit the road searching for Harry Potter 1st editions.

We had soooooo much fun digging through bookstores, stacks of musty books, etc. looking for 1st editions. She found all but two in very nice condition. I purchased one of the two she couldn't find from Ebay.

So, this is probably a long shot here, but I would love to find her the hardest of the set, an American first edition Sorcerers Stone. I thought it would be a cool Christmas present. I'll trade some books for one. Anyone here have a true first or know of one?

MOD's...if you need me to place this somewhere else let me know. Thanks.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How cool - the collecting gene kicked in! I'll keep my eyes open for a copy, Ralph. And hugs to the proud father of the artist!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a very sweet story, Ralph. Sounds like your daughter has real talent, and you're a great dad. Good luck with your search.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ralph, do you have a picture of the painting your daughter did? I think we'd all love to see it!

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Ralph, do you have a picture of the painting your daughter did? I think we'd all love to see it!

John
    Yep....on my daughters camera. I'll post pictures from the auction and the painting when I get them from her

I was not prepared for the evening because it was a surprise.

If anyone can help me find the book for her it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll give up King books to see her face light up

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    So, this is probably a long shot here, but I would love to find her the hardest of the set, an American first edition Sorcerers Stone. I thought it would be a cool Christmas present. I'll trade some books for one. Anyone here have a true first or know of one?

MOD's...if you need me to place this somewhere else let me know. Thanks.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I am touched. This is the perfect place for the comment.
    Here is info on how to discern a first edition Sorcerers Stone

he copyright page has the full number line "1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 8 9/9 0/0 01 02". Below the number line is "Printed in the U.S.A. 23", and below that is "First American edition, October 1998." Boards are purple with an embossed diamond pattern, and a red cloth spine. The dust jacket has a $16.95 price on the upper corner of the front flap. The dust jacket back has a white bar code field with two bar codes in it, and the smaller bar code says "51695". The dust jacket back also has a single quote from the Guardian saying "Harry Potter could assume the near-legendary status of Ronald Dahl's Charlie, of chocolate factory fame." Later issue dust jackets have a substitute quote from Publishers Weekly. The top spine of both the book and the dust jacket lists "J.K. ROWLING" and lacks the "YEAR 1" badge, and the gold lettering is raised on the spine of the dust jacket.

Note: There are book club editions that have the same full number line as the true first U.S. edition. But they lack the embossed diamond pattern on the book boards. A book club edition is far less valuable than the true first U.S. edition.
    Link

Edit: ABE has some stunning prices for this book!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ralph...the proud papa!! Thanks for sharing that heart-warming story.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Wiz. And thank you RF for the links and info.

It's amazing how communications open up between two people on a trip like this. I mean, my two daughters and I have always been close but to see her face light up when I show how to look for the correct print, do research to learn, etc. and the joy of watching her study the book before she buys it. Priceless.

I think that's what makes this place so special. We all share the same excitement of the search, find, buy & share syndrome.

I love this place.

Now back to research to find a first before Christmas. I have:

282 Days
    18 Hours
    30 Minutes

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Gay

Ralph - Ah, that is so sweet! And congrats to your daughter on the auction. Very impressive. Good luck with the HP books. It's so cool that your collecting has influenced her in such a positive way that she'd want to share it with you. And I love that you treasure the moments with her.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

As promised. The picture.

The lady sitting at the desk is the local art collector who bought the picture. Sharon had no problem hanging the picture up the very next day. That's it behind her desk. I know it doesn't look like much and I'll get better pictures. But I can say this. The night of the auction I kept walking by the painting and just kept looking at it. No name or anything on it. The picture doesn't do the raised oil type painting or all the little things happening in the painting justice.

OK.....I'm BIOS

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Edit: I should have posted the following: I do have permission from Sharon to post the picture with her in it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Room 217 Caretaker; 03-17-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Formality

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That is so cool, Ralph!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Daughter's

Hey Ralph,
    I kind of know how you feel. My college daughter was home last week on spring break and went with me to pick up the latest Stand comic American Nightmares #1 at a local comic store. When we got back she asked to read them all, starting with Captain Tripps then....Sunday before she left she asked
    to take The Stand (A reading copy of course) back to college with her!!!! Another King addict born!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool painting, Ralph, but you must get a closer picture.

Way to go, sentinel! Indoctrinating the next generation!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, everyone. Today is my last day in the office after spending nearly 18 years with Credit Suisse. I am both excited and scared as hell. This will be a wonderful opportunity to spend a whole lot of time with my family, but in the back of my mind I fight off the panic and weight of knowing that I am the sole provider for them, and I will need to find a new job out there somewhere. I'm confident that I will eventually find a job that I will like, but at my current pay scale....that is what frightens me. Still, I am optimistic at present and aim to make the most of this gift of time.

Still, its a pretty creepy feeling. I've never been out of work before, and it's been 18 years since I've had to interview and all that. Even that is going to be a challenge because to get my current job, I traveled from Hartford (where I was working at the time) to NYC, spent 3 hours with the people at Credit Suisse and when I got back to Hartford, I had a job offer waiting! Twasn't hard, but things are way way different now.

Another upside is that I haven't lost any of you! I will still be around....maybe less so as strange as that may seem, but we'll see. I spend an inordinate amount of time at work on this site. Now that I will be at home, I fear I will be working harder than I have ever done in my life...my wife's honey-do list is ginormous!

Thank you for all of your support over these last few weeks as I have processed my being told I was laid off and winding down the operations here in the office.

Do know that I cannot be reached anymore on my work e-mail, and my PayPal address and stuff had to change as well. PM me if you need my personal contact info, or just get ahold of me through PMs.

I love this place....

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Cool painting, Ralph, but you must get a closer picture.

Way to go, sentinel! Indoctrinating the next generation!
    Yep, working on a closer picture. My daughter took that photo so I could post a quick picture here. The collector that owns the picture now is thinking about moving it to her dining room. She's going to get a better picture for me.

She has some amazing stuff in her house.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Gay

David -

Sending tons of :goodmind: to you, my friend. Both for getting a new position which favors you and for working your way through that Honey-Do List !

Most importantly though, it looks like you're approaching this whole situation with the best possible attitude. I'm confident you'll come out on the other side in a better job. There's no way someone like you won't catch on.

We're all here for you.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

As I start this new chapter in my life, I wonder what book I am in. Hopefully not Misery or Salem's Lot!

My Mood
    Gay

David - You're a Gunslinger, man, no doubt about it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As I've said before, David, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Best of luck!

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

David. It's not so scary out there. Just be confident and you will be fine.

I am actually very sorry for you. Not for losing your job after all this time, but
    your wife's honey-do list is awaiting you!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

David, I can't see how any company wouldn't fall all over themselves to hire you.

Enjoy the time you have with your family, and I'm sure the right opportunity will come along.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

David, you are wonderful and smart and a good person. This will all work out for you, I'm sure of it. The future is yours. Take it and enjoy it.

....and have fun with the honey-do-list Mwhahahahaha

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to give a shout out to Brice for a Random Act of Kindness (hey, that's a pretty good thread topic):

Brice knows I'm looking for a 1st/1st Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone for my daughter. He thought he might have one so he took time out of his schedule to go to his storage unit and look. He didn't have one but he noticed some other cool Harry Potter items in his collection and is sending them to my daughter.

What an incredible act of kindness. Kudos to Brice. Thanks man.

I love this place and the family we've become.

I hope to return the favor one day.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 971 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast