Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 909 of 971 FirstFirst ... 409 809 859 899 907 908 909 910 911 919 959 ... LastLast
Results 22,701 to 22,725 of 24268

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    She has some interesting and insightful things to say about movies. She used to be the “nostalgia chick” On channel awesome, before parting ways with them and doing her own independent reviews. I think she went to film school, or journalism, I’m not sure. But her YouTube presence and subject matter dovetails with her “other” professional life in some way.

Her videos are intelligent and thoughtful, I find. But the political incorrectness of films has become more of a prominent subject in her work lately, I think. It was always there, but usually mentioned in passing. And while it isn’t the majority of her content, it is becoming more of an underlying theme.

In the recent JK Rowling debacle, she was very critical of Rowling’s statements, and rightly so. But she also came down fairly firmly on the “death of the author” side of interpreting Rawlings work. That is, that interpretations independent of Rowling’s intent are just as valid as Rowling’s own interpretation.

That’s quite ironic given the subject of this latest video, where she spends the second half responding to peoples criticism of political incorrectness in her own videos, by describing what she intended by them.
    I enjoyed it more as a quick history on the practice of cancelling people as well as an exploration of how bad-faith that effort is inherently. Her personal stuff was the least interesting stuff, but I understand why she did it. So even if you have no idea who she is and what this is even about, I think it's a really well-made video on that online phenomenon itself, especially on Twitter, but bad-faith comments are posted all over the internet, they just tend to blow up on Twitter for some reason.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Oh, I enjoyed the video, and agreed with her analysis. I think her comments near the end of the video were particularly on point - how the internets villain of the day is subject to anonymous people trolling through their past posts to take individual statements out of context which “prove“ what a terrible person they are in some socially unacceptable way.

And while some of that can be ascribed in Lindsey’s case to right wing detractors acting in bad faith, most of it is done by progressives turning against their own, with 100% sincerity. When people take statements out of context and interpret them to support their own narrative, it only seems like “bad faith” when it’s happening to you. When they do it against someone you disagree with it feels like a righteous crusade.

I’ve voiced my concern about exactly this topic on this board. Cancel culture doesn’t exist… Until you are the one being canceled. The left will eat itself if we don’t understand and control this impulse in the progressive movement to take down anyone whose past or present life can be interpreted as less than perfect.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    "Twitter is garbage"

Recap? almost 2 hours is a long watch.
    No kidding!
    .....also...had to google her...
    I was going to google her too, but decided not to bother.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Oh, I enjoyed the video, and agreed with her analysis. I think her comments near the end of the video were particularly on point - how the internets villain of the day is subject to anonymous people trolling through their past posts to take individual statements out of context which “prove“ what a terrible person they are in some socially unacceptable way.

And while some of that can be ascribed in Lindsey’s case to right wing detractors acting in bad faith, most of it is done by progressives turning against their own, with 100% sincerity. When people take statements out of context and interpret them to support their own narrative, it only seems like “bad faith” when it’s happening to you. When they do it against someone you disagree with it feels like a righteous crusade.

I’ve voiced my concern about exactly this topic on this board. Cancel culture doesn’t exist… Until you are the one being canceled. The left will eat itself if we don’t understand and control this impulse in the progressive movement to take down anyone whose past or present life can be interpreted as less than perfect.

HBJ
    There are “valid criticisms” levied from the left, such as with the JKR situation. And yes, the purity testing she talks about on the left comes mainly from other left-leaning people. However, a lot of the bad-faith piling on comes from right-wing, such as with James Gunn being probably the most famous example. They’re in bad faith because they’re not done out of true social convictions. After all, no right-leaning person would willingly admit to being an actual social justice warrior, would they? Basically, the quote I used at the top, “Twitter is garbage”, is an apt recap of this video and a lot of online discourse in general.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I was going to google her too, but decided not to bother.
    Nor care.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Finally read Red Dragon. What a great book.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Honestly, I see the JKR situation and Lindsey’s own to be pretty much the same actions perpetrated by the same people. Once the target is considered to be “evil“, their Internet history is scoured for evidence to “prove“ it.

You can certainly argue that JKRs statements were clearly more reprehensible, but the people who characterized Lindsay’s statements as anti-Asian hate speech feel just as strongly - and as justified. The motivations and MO of those who attacked JKR are the same as those who attacked Lindsay. Neither was justified, and neither target deserved what they got.

Yes, there are “bad faith” actors that get involved in these situations, who argue just to attack a person they don’t like, rather than for some deeper purpose. But there are also plenty who believe they are doing good in the name of a cause they believe in. Lindsay feels they are acting in “bad faith” because they are placing their own interpretation on her statements, independent of what she intended. And they see her attempts to clarify her position as her doubling down on the interpretation they’ve attributed to her.

Eta: I’m not drawing an equivalence between JKR’s and Lindsay’s statements, incidentally. I’m drawing an equivalence between the motivations and actions of those who responded to those statements. Online vilification always seems justified when you only accept the point of view of those most outraged.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Finally read Red Dragon. What a great book.
    Agreed. Awesome book.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

If we have any lighting experts in the room; the lighting is terrible in my library. It's the standard light fixture on the ceiling in the center of the room and cast shadows everywhere. Really difficult when trying to take photos without the use of a lightbox. There is a certain bulb type I should try using or do I need to replace the fixture all together to provide better lighting. I guess lamps could be an option as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    If we have any lighting experts in the room; the lighting is terrible in my library. It's the standard light fixture on the ceiling in the center of the room and cast shadows everywhere. Really difficult when trying to take photos without the use of a lightbox. There is a certain bulb type I should try using or do I need to replace the fixture all together to provide better lighting. I guess lamps could be an option as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If you own the place, you could easily add ceiling mounted LED lights. It could be like daylight in there without any UV light. If you're handy at all, I can walk you through it.

Otherwise, you could replace the fixture and/or add lamps.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    If you own the place, you could easily add ceiling mounted LED lights. It could be like daylight in there without any UV light. If you're handy at all, I can walk you through it.

Otherwise, you could replace the fixture and/or add lamps.
    Sounds like a great idea, Brian. I'll probably hit you up soon regarding it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari, congrats on the job offers! Very happy for you!

O+

I read Red Dragon in 2020 for the first time when Suntup announced their production. Fantastic book as was the sequel which I read this year. Haven’t read the later books.

Apparently George has a more exciting life than I do.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Patrick!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

3 Guilty verdicts for Chauvin.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    So just asking from a legal point of view, is there any difference with him being guilty of all 3 then just being found quilty of the most sever? Are the sentences cumulative or consecutive? Does this make it harder for him to appeal (i.e. he has to appeal all three verdicts?)
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

So just asking from a legal point of view, is there any difference with him being guilty of all 3 then just being found quilty of the most sever? Are the sentences cumulative or consecutive? Does this make it harder for him to appeal (i.e. he has to appeal all three verdicts?)
    I don't think they've entered the sentencing phase but you'll want to ask someone who knows more about law than I. Sorry.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think they've entered the sentencing phase but you'll want to ask someone who knows more about law than I. Sorry.
    No need to apologize, asking the community at large.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We'll have to see how the sentencing goes to know exactly what they'll do. Most likely there will be three sentences to be served concurrently. They could also suspend the two extra sentences pending successful completion of the first sentence. It's possible that one charge might be overturned. Three charges are less likely to be. The two additional charges are a kind of insurance and a definitive verdict of guilty.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Yes. Being guilty on all three charges increases the time of his sentencing. i.e. if one charge is 10 years and second charge is 20 years, both charges together could equate 30 years.

That said, some states have laws that dictate sentencing so it may change the maximums.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    We'll have to see how the sentencing goes to know exactly what they'll do. Most likely there will be three sentences to be served concurrently. They could also suspend the two extra sentences pending successful completion of the first sentence. It's possible that one charge might be overturned. Three charges are less likely to be. The two additional charges are a kind of insurance and a definitive verdict of guilty.
    also this ^

Country
    Country Flag

The two additional charges could be considered to be lesser included offenses, since they are for the same crime.

A lot of this comes down to state law. I'm not familiar with that state.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a friend who is an investigative journalist. This is what she said... Chauvin was convicted on charges of 2nd-degree murder, which has a maximum sentence of 40 years; 3rd-degree murder, which has a maximum sentence of 25 years; and 2nd-degree manslaughter, which has a maximum sentence of 10 years.

The verdict means he will face a maximum penalty that matches the most serious count, which is 40 years

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I have a friend who is an investigative journalist. This is what she said... Chauvin was convicted on charges of 2nd-degree murder, which has a maximum sentence of 40 years; 3rd-degree murder, which has a maximum sentence of 25 years; and 2nd-degree manslaughter, which has a maximum sentence of 10 years.

The verdict means he will face a maximum penalty that matches the most serious count, which is 40 years
    That was my understanding too. Also, since he has no prior record, the judge could reduce that 40 yr sentence as low as 12 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 909 of 971 FirstFirst ... 409 809 859 899 907 908 909 910 911 919 959 ... LastLast