Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 864 of 971 FirstFirst ... 364 764 814 854 862 863 864 865 866 874 914 964 ... LastLast
Results 21,576 to 21,600 of 24268

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    A few years ago, when my dad passed away I found out something that stuck with me about cemeteries : in France, graves are not necessarily paid for an infinite time.
    If I recall correctly, there are different time periods you can buy, depending of the policies of the cemeteries. But basically it's like 5 years, 15, 30 or 50. The one my dad went to, the local one, don't do in perpetuity anymore.

In theory, after that period, the local city council will send a bill to renew that period, otherwise they are allowed to dig out the graves and reuse that space...
    It's the same in Italy; it's about space limitations versus money. In my wife's village of San Giovanni di Polcenigo the cemetery is very small (a kid could run around the entire perimeter wall probably in less than a minute) and old, built in the 1700's. With that you're talking 300+ years of family burials in a tiny space.

There is a time limit on initial burials, I think it's 40 years. At the end of that time a notice is sent to the last known residence asking if they'd like to have the body remain interred or not. If yes they stay, if not they are exhumed and moved to common unmarked "county" grave.

My mother-in-law received one of those notices somewhat recently for a relative of my father-in-law that had lived in his house a looooong time ago, one of his mother's brothers or something like that. She didn't even know the person, and my father-in-law has passed, but she still got the notice and did the paperwork to keep that person interred.

It's kinda like the movie "Coco", where their spirits live on until they are no longer remembered by anyone alive.
    Okay just because I'm genuinely curious on how this works: So if you get the notice and say "stay" they don't move the body? How long does that stay last?

if they move it -- what does this county grave look like? Just a mass burial?

Are there any conditions in which a person can spend eternity in a spot?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

To everyone who is asking for pricing of items in my collection--it will take a while for me to do this. I am not able to spend long hours determining the pricing--I'm just not physically or mentally capable of doing this quickly. I'm truly sorry.

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

A few years ago, when my dad passed away I found out something that stuck with me about cemeteries : in France, graves are not necessarily paid for an infinite time.
    If I recall correctly, there are different time periods you can buy, depending of the policies of the cemeteries. But basically it's like 5 years, 15, 30 or 50. The one my dad went to, the local one, don't do in perpetuity anymore.

In theory, after that period, the local city council will send a bill to renew that period, otherwise they are allowed to dig out the graves and reuse that space...
    It's the same in Italy; it's about space limitations versus money. In my wife's village of San Giovanni di Polcenigo the cemetery is very small (a kid could run around the entire perimeter wall probably in less than a minute) and old, built in the 1700's. With that you're talking 300+ years of family burials in a tiny space.

There is a time limit on initial burials, I think it's 40 years. At the end of that time a notice is sent to the last known residence asking if they'd like to have the body remain interred or not. If yes they stay, if not they are exhumed and moved to common unmarked "county" grave.

My mother-in-law received one of those notices somewhat recently for a relative of my father-in-law that had lived in his house a looooong time ago, one of his mother's brothers or something like that. She didn't even know the person, and my father-in-law has passed, but she still got the notice and did the paperwork to keep that person interred.

It's kinda like the movie "Coco", where their spirits live on until they are no longer remembered by anyone alive.
    Same in The Netherlands as well. My father passed away when I was 17 (almost 29 years ago) and when I was in my thirties I received a letter inquiring if my sister and I wished to pay for the next amount of time (I forgot the exact number but I guess it was 15 years). I did not know about that but it turned out my aunt (dad’s sister) had paid for it initially. So we paid for the next 15 years but now the graves of my father and his parents are gone... (which I am completely at peace with).

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    As some of you know, I’m a permanent resident of a nursing home where I have no access to my collection, which remains at home. My wife has decided to sell our house, so she has to pack up all my collection and put it into storage.

Does anyone have an idea where she would be able to purchase enough boxes to house everything? I probably have between 3000 and 4000 items.

I am willing to sell everything but I don’t think she or my daughter would take the required care to send the items through the mail. The buyer would have to pick up the items at my home.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with almost everything listed if anyone is interested. No pricings are listed. PM me with your email if interested.

John
    John,
    Also take a look at https://www.uline.com for boxes.
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay just because I'm genuinely curious on how this works: So if you get the notice and say "stay" they don't move the body? How long does that stay last?

It varies by cemetery, by village, by city. As long as someone is around to say "stay" and pay the fee then the body stays. Bear in mind for small villages this often isn't a big deal, as the same families have lived there for possibly hundreds of years and the folks who run the churches and cemeteries know all the families. I imagine it might be different in big cities and for 'modern' families that move often.

As far as staying in one place for eternity, the answer is no in the villages, for the common folks; the law is the law regarding those time requirements. Of course in places like Rome you'll see famous folks in grand tombs, that's different.

As far as the 'county' burial/gravesite, I'll have to ask my wife about that. I don't recall ever seeing one when I lived there; perhaps I'm mistaken and they exhume and cremate, that would also certainly save space. I'll ask.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    We had a pretty bad storm roll through on Monday afternoon. A couple of small tornadoes even touched down doing some minor damage to a few buildings around town. Lots of trees and tree branches down and a quite a few downed power lines.

We have a power pole with a transformer literally in our backyard. It serves about a dozen houses in our neighborhood. It blew about 3:30 on Monday afternoon. It's now 8:00 on Wednesday morning and we still don't have power restored.

Both of our refrigerators and freezers are empty. Most of the freezer stuff we were able to take to my daughter's house. The rest we threw away. All the stuff from the fridge is in a large cooler of ice in our kitchen.

We can cook food on our stove top but our oven requires electricity. It's not super hot outside during the day so we are able to open the windows but it's still a little stuffy with no fans to move the air around.

Latest update from the electric company is that they'll hopefully have it back on by Saturday.
    Ouch. At least you were able to save most of the food. Hopefully they get you back up sooner vs later.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

It varies by cemetery, by village, by city. As long as someone is around to say "stay" and pay the fee then the body stays. Bear in mind for small villages this often isn't a big deal, as the same families have lived there for possibly hundreds of years and the folks who run the churches and cemeteries know all the families. I imagine it might be different in big cities and for 'modern' families that move often.

As far as staying in one place for eternity, the answer is no in the villages, for the common folks; the law is the law regarding those time requirements. Of course in places like Rome you'll see famous folks in grand tombs, that's different.

As far as the 'county' burial/gravesite, I'll have to ask my wife about that. I don't recall ever seeing one when I lived there; perhaps I'm mistaken and they exhume and cremate, that would also certainly save space. I'll ask.
    This is fascinating. I knew it existed this way but the details are new. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This is fascinating. I knew it existed this way but the details are new. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
    My wife says the bones are removed from the gravesite and moved to an "Ossuario Commune", or Community Ossuary, and the caskets are disposed of. So this is as you'd see in the roman catacombs, church vaults, or the Douaumont memorial at Verdun, France is a good example as well. She also says that the "number of years" rule has changed over time for her village cemetery, and somewhat recently compared to the 300 years it's been around. Her paternal grandfather, who died in 1966, is there for good while her grandmother, who passed in the early 1970's, had a time limit. They've actually removed her bones and re-interred her with her husband since he's an eternity one.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just my own wishes, but I wish to be cremated and the cremains disposed of in the least expensive legal manner. I want my family to have my monies, not spend them on an expensive internment.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just my own wishes, but I wish to be cremated and the cremains disposed of in the least expensive legal manner. I want my family to have my monies, not spend them on an expensive internment.
    For you I'm thinking some sort of TDT.org special edition, craftfully designed and bound (I'm sure we know SOMEONE who could do that), with your cremains in a vial a la the oft-discussed The Stand edition with vial. I'd be honored to have you as a part of my collection Jerome.

Start planning it now and you could provide input to the book; perhaps a history of TDT.org (and it's predecessors if you're so inclined), favorite stories, favorite and non-favorite people, special memories from TDT.org (Haven Foundation Fundraisers, In Mint Condition, TMSG, etc.), get-togethers at King events, photos, your collection, etc. And because you planned ahead you could even write an introduction and sign signature pages that could be tipped in later following your (assumingly) untimely demise.

I also foresee a helluva book launch party, attended by many regulars here, where we all raise our glasses in toast to you for all you've done over the years. As the drinks flow and the stories come, at least one quasi-inebriated attendee will no doubt pop open that vial in their Lettered copy (damn the long-term impact to value) and, following a speech for the ages, sprinkle you into a glass of something at least 60 Proof and down you in one long swallow to the tears and cheers of an adoring crowd.

Or, yeah, you could just get cheaply cremated. Your choice.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    This for me as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Hope your family waits until your dead first!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    This for me as well.

Same. I'm always surprised at how much people spend on funerals and weddings.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    This for me as well.

The system is often set up to get people to spend money. Never mind the 500% mark-up on caskets. There are laws, in some places, requiring embalming and caskets even for cremation.

I don't want any frills. I'll take basic cremation. They can put my ashes in a Ziploc bag. My friends can have a little beach party and empty the ashes in the ocean. See ya.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    This for me as well.

The system is often set up to get people to spend money. Never mind the 500% mark-up on caskets. There are laws, in some places, requiring embalming and caskets even for cremation.

I don't want any frills. I'll take basic cremation. They can put my ashes in a Ziploc bag. My friends can have a little beach party and empty the ashes in the ocean. See ya.
    I'm thinking maybe a custom traycase for mine Not that it'll be my decision.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My wife says the bones are removed from the gravesite and moved to an "Ossuario Commune", or Community Ossuary, and the caskets are disposed of. So this is as you'd see in the roman catacombs, church vaults, or the Douaumont memorial at Verdun, France is a good example as well. She also says that the "number of years" rule has changed over time for her village cemetery, and somewhat recently compared to the 300 years it's been around. Her paternal grandfather, who died in 1966, is there for good while her grandmother, who passed in the early 1970's, had a time limit. They've actually removed her bones and re-interred her with her husband since he's an eternity one.
    https://ilsolofrano.blogspot.com/201...sottratto.html This is an article on one such facility in Italy... the Capuchin monks in Roma are famous for their catacombs...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quick question for uk citizens : do you know if any car rental companies can provide "french" cars?
    My wife and I are planning to visit her family. Near Glasgow. And do a roadtrip in Scotland.

BUT. British cars are very different from french ones (the driver is on the other side, I don't know about the feet...) and the only time I tried driving a british car, my stepmom's car, a good 5 years ago. I couldn't even move the car. I was so confused. Both with the gear and the feet, I couldnt move.
    And it would be crap to hire a car and not being able to actually use it.

So : any idea of a car rental company, around Glasgow, that may have some "french" cars? :s
    Good luck.
    Driving a car from the right isn't tough. The pedals are the same: L-R, clutch, brake, accelerator. The gearshift is on your left.
    The hard part is staying on the correct side of the road, and roundabouts can be confusing.

If possible. Rent an automatic transmission car.

Having a car would simplify a lot of things, especially given the covid. And would allow enjoying better the hols.
    So I decided to rent an automatic car for the first day. Test it on the parking of the airport and in the local area and if I am comfortable with it then extend it for the following 2 weeks.
    That way, if I can drive it fine. If not, well... I lose 150e, not 900

Well, seems like I won't be able to test drive a british car just now.

Long story short :
    I was supposed to go to Scotland next week, take a car rental and spend 2 weeks, traveling with my wife.
    Starting on saturday 4am, the UK will start forcing quarantine on people coming from France as there has been quite a surge of cases. There is no point for me to travel to Scotland to stay in quarantine, so I will stay in France.
    Where there will probably be more lockdown and I won't have any proper holidays \o/
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

If the hotel has a wide selection of fine whiskey available for room service it might not be so bad!
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Is the centipede thread down for anyone else? I am getting a 403 forbidden error.

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Is the centipede thread down for anyone else? I am getting a 403 forbidden error.
    Same here..Can't open that thread. 403 error

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am working on it. Might be a while.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thread should be open.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone. I’ve decided to sell my entire collection through David Williamson at Betts Books. I’m letting David to set pricing for everything. He will pick up my collection sometime in September and establish pricing afterwards. I am not setting any minimums.

I had thought about trying to do this myself but it was an overwhelming task and I’m just not capable of doing it. . My health and physical condition are not the greatest.

My apologies to everyone who contacted me regarding individual pieces. As I said, I’m just not up to doing it alone. Please feel free to contact David after he posts my collection.

Thanks to everyone who expressed an interest.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello John,
    It's probably for the best that way. You'll be able to reach his customers and trying to get the most for them, which will be useful for you given your situation.

Good luck for you and David on the sale.
    Your collection is amazing and I think that it would be difficult to find someone more suited than him for selling it
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Hi everyone. I’ve decided to sell my entire collection through David Williamson at Betts Books. I’m letting David to set pricing for everything. He will pick up my collection sometime in September and establish pricing afterwards. I am not setting any minimums.

I had thought about trying to do this myself but it was an overwhelming task and I’m just not capable of doing it. . My health and physical condition are not the greatest.

My apologies to everyone who contacted me regarding individual pieces. As I said, I’m just not up to doing it alone. Please feel free to contact David after he posts my collection.

Thanks to everyone who expressed an interest.

John
    Was my first comment to you I think! You cannot go wrong with him handling this for you and yours. I wish you the best John. Cheers man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 864 of 971 FirstFirst ... 364 764 814 854 862 863 864 865 866 874 914 964 ... LastLast