Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 971 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 752 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 24268

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    Okay, let's make it obvious so nobody misses it:

Religion and hunting are types of brainwashing. If your parents had never taught you, and you weren't raised with it, you wouldn't believe in it. Parents have that power; if yours taught you that blue was actually pink and you were hatched from an egg found in a cave, you'd believe blue was pink and you came from a cave. Why wouldn't you? That's the power of brainwashing (and parenting).

So, if you weren't raised with hunting ... never had to do it to put food on the plate, never around weapons, no annual trips by dad for deer or turkey or whatever ... you probably have certain thoughts about hunting. If you were raised with it, it's the norm and people who don't do it are wierd.

Ditto for religion. If you weren't raised with it, it would sound pretty nuts to you. Not any certain religion either; all religions. It all depends on what your parents taught you. You may be a devout catholic, but it likely wasn't your choice ... the only reason you're not a devout islamist or judaist or buddhist or pagan is because you're parents didn't teach you that. If you were raised without any religion whatsoever but with science, the thought of people worshipping an unseen deity or believing anything but science would be pretty funny to you. It all depends on what you had drilled into your head as a kid.

Religion has caused more death and destruction of "civilized" man than anything else in history, so why do we keep it up? Because it's how we were raised and taught to believe, and everybody else is wrong. Best thing that could happen to humanity? Don't introduce your kids to religion until they're old enough to make up their own minds; no more of this 6 year old altar boy and going to church on Sundays crap.

Even better, go a couple of generations without religion being passed down to the kids at all; don't let it be taught, or even disussed, make it outlawed completely. Then watch and be amazed as peace broke out when we didn't have all that nonsense to argue over. Well, at least we wouldn't fight over religion ... I'm sure we'd find something else.

Discuss!

EDIT:
    Probably because this is an off topic thread, and politics, religion etc. have their own threads. Check them out. People write 2,000 word responses, proof, evidence etc. I try to stay away from that stuff.
    Didn't see this until I was done RF. I have no interest in politics or religion at all, so had no idea such threads existed here, and even if I did I wouldn't go to them. Feel free to merge, or let folks discuss as it was a random thought generated by the eating dogs and hunting discussion.
    OK George, on my first couple of reads, I really like your line of thinking. It mirrors my own philosophies, especially on religion. Some of your statements have sent mind my off exploring. I want to ponder this and post again. I am very interested in hearing more of what you have to say.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright, who went and got GOD into this?
    I don't know, but any group of deities carrying that much weaponry can pretty much throw their weight around as they desire, no? Which, I imagine, is the whole idea.

(I count two swords, two daggers, a bow, a whip, a spear, a battle axe, a shield, a cobra (I pity da fool dat screw wit my cobra!), a trident, one of 'ems breathing fire, and I think those are Wonder Woman's bracelets on the one up front.

On a purely unrelated note, one of the best movie quotes of all time:

Ron Burgundy: I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident!

Ron Burgundy: Brick, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you’re probably wanted for murder.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Always liked that poster Bob; let me guess, you've got a signed original, right?
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Movie quotes, how about that line by Ash from AOD when he is burying the "Evil-Ash" head. "What's that on your face"? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

OK George, on my first couple of reads, I really like your line of thinking. It mirrors my own philosophies, especially on religion. Some of your statements have sent mind my off exploring. I want to ponder this and post again. I am very interested in hearing more of what you have to say.
    I'm not sure, but I think there's an impending sense off deep sarcasm coming!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Always liked that poster Bob; let me guess, you've got a signed original, right?
    George is on a roll tonight!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure, but I think there's an impending sense off deep sarcasm coming!
    No sarcasm at all on my side George. I find your thoughts intriguing and genuinely want to discuss more with you.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No sarcasm at all on my side George. I find your thoughts intriguing and genuinely want to discuss more with you.
    Sweet.

Also surprised nobody latched on to my Homer Simpson quote, "Mmmmmmm ... bright shiny objects ........", thought that would have got a guffaw or at least a Homer gif.

You guys are letting me down!

Time for dinner, more deep spiritual discussion later. Bob, Jimi has been loaded and playing in the background (Alllll along the watchtower .....)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet.

Also surprised nobody latched on to my Homer Simpson quote, "Mmmmmmm ... bright shiny objects ........", thought that would have got a guffaw or at least a Homer gif.

Time for dinner, more deep spiritual discussion later. Bob, Jimi has been loaded and playing in the background (Alllll along the watchtower .....)
    Great Song!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks RF; my hope in humanity is restored. Well, at least here in the Corner.

On the flip side to that, did you see Bill's post over in the Picture Emporium thread? That's exactly what I'm talking about with brainwashing the kids; poor thing's going to grow up thinking that being a Yankees fan is normal!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks RF; my hope in humanity is restored. Well, at least here in the Corner.

On the flip side to that, did you see Bill's post over in the Picture Emporium thread? That's exactly what I'm talking about with brainwashing the kids; poor thing's going to grow up thinking that being a Yankees fan is normal!

It is!!! It's you guys that are "weird"!!! 27 championships and you're still not "on board"?? God love ya!!! LOL LOL

Spoiler:
    BTW, I'm sending Karl to your house!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very narrow minded thoughts there george at c springs.
    Ive always been a advocate of making your own mind up of ANY subject, as long as you open your mind to ALL arguments of ALL sides.
    On the contrary, not narrow-minded at all, quite the opposite ... fortunate enough to have been allowed to make my own decision based on individual study when I was old enough to understand. Have also had the opportuntiy in my travels to be exposed to many many cultures, religions, ways of life; all of that absolutely helped me form my opinions and beliefs. You actually made my point as well, "Ive always been a advocate of making your own mind up of ANY subject" ... unfortunately that's something most children are not allowed to do for themselves (hunting and religion only the tip of the iceberg!).

So as not to offend anyone in particular (I'll go for a group shot instead) I wasn't raised with religion at all, find it pretty far-fetched, and am stupefied that in this day and age it's still so prevelant. I don't care one way or another what anyone believes, to each his own ... I just wish more people believed in themselves and the people around them. Or at least that they'd quit fighting with everybody who believes differently.

But that's just me.

EDIT: God, PS ... you're avatar is a Hindu god/goddess, unless I'm mistaken. There's a lot of them, so I'm not sure which one. Sure looks like Lord Krishna though.
    I've always thought the same about religion, it's always been interesting to me, there's some interesting stories in the bible. But I've never considered that anything written in there actually happened. My Mam is a devout Catholic and goes to Church every week, but she let all of her kids make their own beliefs up, we didn't get brainwashed by anyone.

Same as my views on hunting are my own, I don't know that anyone in my family has any views on it (there's a big hunting fox and hounds painting in the hall but that's there because it's well painted) but of course no one I know has ever been involved in hunting so I'm hardly likely to grow up to be pro hunting. I don't believe that anyone in the west these days really has to go shoot things in the woods to put food in the table.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quick question :

What is more important for you? Earning the most money possible even if your job is ok but not great, or earning reasonnably (for not saying comfily.. -that's not a word... But tough cookie-) your life and doing a job on "products" or "services" that you really appreciate?

Even shorter :
    - More money and the job you like, even if it's not the best you could get (meaning more books of course!)
    - Doing a job that you would REALLY like, but earning less money
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

More money.
    Later you can do "what you like" for less or no money. That's called philanthropy.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It depends on the relative difference between the two salaries and the difference between the two job satisfaction levels.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I've ever had a job that I even remotely liked, but I do know I've never quit a full time job, there too scarce here to do that, I finished working at one place in Nov after 7 years when it closed down so I've been on benefits since then, I'm so sick of being on benefits that I start a 20 hour part time job this week which won't pay me any more than what I got when on benefits. I have my own place so I don't have rent/mortgage to pay, otherwise I couldn't make ends meet with this current job.

I would rather do a job I loved even if it was a LOT less money, that must be the most awesome thing ever to get paid to do something you like doing. As long as I had enough to get buy I don't need the luxuries the extra cash would buy.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a job that I even remotely liked, but I do know I've never quit a full time job, there too scarce here to do that, I finished working at one place in Nov after 7 years when it closed down so I've been on benefits since then, I'm so sick of being on benefits that I start a 20 hour part time job this week which won't pay me any more than what I got when on benefits. I have my own place so I don't have rent/mortgage to pay, otherwise I couldn't make ends meet with this current job.

I would rather do a job I loved even if it was a LOT less money, that must be the most awesome thing ever to get paid to do something you like doing. As long as I had enough to get buy I don't need the luxuries the extra cash would buy.

I totally understand. My girlfriend have been looking for a job in the fashion industry for about 3 years (working part time at H&M in order to get some cash)... and therefore i sort of feel bad as i am always contacted by companies with some job offers. I am very lucky for that : i can basically choose where i want to go... and not without a "significant" raise. Last week was simply crazy : about 7 job offers...

I am currently looking for another position (i had 3 job interviews : 1 for CBS and i wasnt available soon enough, + 2 others, recently, and maybe another one just now that is the reason why i am posting this thread).

@Patrick :
    - Money : on addition of what i call a significant raise, the difference between 2 job offers might be something between 320-740€ per month. Quite significant.
    - Satisfaction : a bit but not necessarily much difference. It's still my field & expertise... then it's basically the target/product/websites you are working on.
    - Then there are of course other things to take into account : location (40mins of metro, or 30mins walk)... etc

So far it's just food to thoughts.... but i know that i am extremely lucky (i am being regularly contacted since over a year), and i wish i could be extremely happy about it and not necessarily annoyed that i do get a lot of offers while my girlfriend do not get any...
    We're working on it, but fashion is difficult to enter...

So there are 2 ways of thinking :
    - Jerome : get as much money as you can (knowing that i want to stop renting a flat, and start buying whenever i will be able to... that goes towards that aim).
    - Cloysterpete : If you still get enough money to be happy, do whatever you prefer.

Anyone else's opinion??
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

If you have a particular goal you need the extra cash for then it could be worth doing the not so desirable but well paid job until you've met the goal (deposit for house etc) then try and look for a job you enjoy more when your more financially secure.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

If I understand this, you're saying:
    I could get paid a good amount for a job I like OR I could get paid a little less for a job I love.

It seems like neither position is going to make a drastic decrease in pay - you won't be starving in either situation, right? And it seems like you'd be content in either job, to some degree. If that's the case, it's really what's more important to you: money or happiness.

I consider it using these two scenarios for comparison.
    1. I am offered a job at a local school district as a librarian for $100 a day. I am also offered a job as a librarian at the school district I currently sub at for $80 a day. I would be happy as a librarian anywhere and I'd be making enough to survive in either position. BUT I choose $80 at a location where I am already comfortable, have friends and a support system, and will be happier in the long run. I already know I can do that job, work with the students and staff, and still be excited to go in every morning. I already know I love that job, even if the pay is less. I think this is the closest example of the scenario you described. Of course, I have not been offered any jobs... ugh.

2. I am offered a job as a customer service rep for two companies: the first sells Clive Barker books and I get paid $12 an hour, the second sells Stephen King books and I get paid $8. I would be doing the SAME job in both places, I would enjoy both jobs, I like both products... but I'd get paid more for the one I like less. If this is a job I plan to hold for an extended amount of time, I choose the $8 job selling products I am passionate about. In the long run, I will be happier making less money at a job I enjoy more. If this a job I need to hold me over until I find something else, I choose the $12 job selling products I like but don't love. In the long run, I will be happier making more money quickly at a job I can tolerate. Make sense?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is REALLY good advice.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I chose a job that paid less and I cared more for it. 12 years later I wish I had a better paying job that means sweet fuck all. My job does pay well but to say that I don't care for it anymore is being very generous.

Like RF said, go for the money, be a philantropist later.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    If I understand this, you're saying:
    I could get paid a good amount for a job I like OR I could get paid a little less for a job I love.

It seems like neither position is going to make a drastic decrease in pay - you won't be starving in either situation, right? And it seems like you'd be content in either job, to some degree. If that's the case, it's really what's more important to you: money or happiness.

I consider it using these two scenarios for comparison.
    1. I am offered a job at a local school district as a librarian for $100 a day. I am also offered a job as a librarian at the school district I currently sub at for $80 a day. I would be happy as a librarian anywhere and I'd be making enough to survive in either position. BUT I choose $80 at a location where I am already comfortable, have friends and a support system, and will be happier in the long run. I already know I can do that job, work with the students and staff, and still be excited to go in every morning. I already know I love that job, even if the pay is less. I think this is the closest example of the scenario you described. Of course, I have not been offered any jobs... ugh.

2. I am offered a job as a customer service rep for two companies: the first sells Clive Barker books and I get paid $12 an hour, the second sells Stephen King books and I get paid $8. I would be doing the SAME job in both places, I would enjoy both jobs, I like both products... but I'd get paid more for the one I like less. If this is a job I plan to hold for an extended amount of time, I choose the $8 job selling products I am passionate about. In the long run, I will be happier making less money at a job I enjoy more. If this a job I need to hold me over until I find something else, I choose the $12 job selling products I like but don't love. In the long run, I will be happier making more money quickly at a job I can tolerate. Make sense?
    This is an almost perfect explaination!
    The only thing is that it doesnt reflect an additional but important fact : walking 20-30mins to go to work, or taking the freaking busy metro everyday for 20-30mins.

So this dilemma might very well happen : the company just called me. interview next monday... and i might get an offer for one of the others company (major newspaper+website group) next week.

I think that i took my decision, but will wait and see what's going on next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 971 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 752 ... LastLast