Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by thecollector View Post
    I haven't, although the pics look nice. But that's a prime example of

a) It's just to cost prohibitive to do an elaborate case
    If I couldn't make a case for under $100 I wouldn't consider it economically viable. I'll be holding a survey soon on what cases people like to see. If enough people express interest in the other doubleday books I'll make those slipcases as well at a similar price point to The Stand.
    What about a traycase instead?. Just because some of those books are prone to fading from the sun. I would love a set if you make it available for all the Doubleday books.

Also, Camelot books had a set for sale. 4 traycase for $350. Rather plain looking, IMO.

http://www.camelotbooks.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2259

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

All I know is that every time Tomas decides to make a new traycase, I end up buying another book for my collection to justify the purchase.

... 'Salem's Lot gift edition... The Stand 1st Edition...

You're good for the book market, Tomas!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thecollector View Post
    I haven't, although the pics look nice. But that's a prime example of

a) It's just to cost prohibitive to do an elaborate case
    If I couldn't make a case for under $100 I wouldn't consider it economically viable. I'll be holding a survey soon on what cases people like to see. If enough people express interest in the other doubleday books I'll make those slipcases as well at a similar price point to The Stand.
    What about a traycase instead?. Just because some of those books are prone to fading from the sun. I would love a set if you make it available for all the Doubleday books.

Also, Camelot books had a set for sale. 4 traycase for $350. Rather plain looking, IMO.

http://www.camelotbooks.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2259
    I purchased one of the sets you mentioned but my purchase consisted of 5 to cover the first 5 Doubleday releases. Really not a bad case at all and it completely clam shells around the book protecting it.

One picture shows the set as a whole, the other picture shows my Carrie and the case behind it.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Attached Images

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Time to create a "dream" slipcase/traycase for the upcoming S/L of 'Under The Dome'.
    Thoughts?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Time to create a "dream" slipcase/traycase for the upcoming S/L of 'Under The Dome'.
    Thoughts?
    I think it will be a traycase

The dome on the front of the case will be a beveled cutout showing the dome on the cover of the dust jacket (depending what the cover has on it)

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Attached Images

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The book housed in the base of an oversized snowglobe depicting scenes from the book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

well.... since i already did this, ie. designed one.... i guess it'd be this one.... (most of you have already seen the pics... but for those newer people that may have not)...

imported italian kidskin leather, raised embossed spin, custom hand made endpapers, silk book mark. very high dollar acid free 100% rag paper, custom matching traycase, CD with original PDF file - custom CD label and jewel box cover....

traycase:

traycase spine:

size comparison next to the stand limited:

traycase opened to the book and builtin CD holder with silk ribbon pull

traycase endpapers:

book's endpapers:

book's spine

btw... the endpapers were made specifically for me.... i figured green for the plant....red for blood....
    and since the original version of the plant was given by king as a christmas cards to friends, i really tried to play up the "christmas paper" look in it.
    i wanted it to resemble blood splattered on holly leaves - or holly leaves floating in blood- different, but the same for the book verses the traycase.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Thoughts?

The dome on the front of the case will be a beveled cutout showing the dome on the cover of the dust jacket (depending what the cover has on it)

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    This is the first I've seen of that.
    Thanks.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts?

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    This is the first I've seen of that.
    Thanks.
    Don't get excited. That was my design I created.

I was just creating what I thought would be the dream tray case.

Ralph Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    well.... since i already did this, ie. designed one.... i guess it'd be this one.... (most of you have already seen the pics... but for those newer people that may have not)...

imported italian kidskin leather, raised embossed spin, custom hand made endpapers, silk book mark. very high dollar acid free 100% rag paper, custom matching traycase, CD with original PDF file - custom CD label and jewel box cover....

traycase:

traycase spine:

size comparison next to the stand limited:

traycase opened to the book and builtin CD holder with silk ribbon pull

traycase endpapers:

book's endpapers:

book's spine

btw... the endpapers were made specifically for me.... i figured green for the plant....red for blood....
    and since the original version of the plant was given by king as a christmas cards to friends, i really tried to play up the "christmas paper" look in it.
    i wanted it to resemble blood splattered on holly leaves - or holly leaves floating in blood- different, but the same for the book verses the traycase.
    Well done!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't get excited. That was my design I created.

I was just creating what I thought would be the dream tray case.

Ralph Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I still like.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The book housed in the base of an oversized snowglobe depicting scenes from the book.
    Although it would present storage issues due to the space needed, this could be very cool... unless one day the snowdome starts leaking onto the book below.

Ralph, nice traycase idea.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like a limited edition of Duma Key. I would have it in three states. The gift edition would have a slipcase with a beach design on it. This edition would have lots of artwork (especially of all the different paintings and drawings) The artwork would be done by Michael Whelan. This edition would have Michael Whelens signature. I would change $75.00 for the gift edition.

Then I would have a signed/limited edition that would be signed by both Stephen King and Michael Whelan. This edition would have a tray-case. The tray-case would have the picture of the beach and Big Pink on it. The colors would be very bright and bold. I would charge $100 to $150.00 for this edition.

The lettered edition would come in a case shaped like a picnic basket. This edition would also be signed by both Michael Whelan and Stephen King. The book would come with full-size paintings of the Elizabeth Lake and Edgar Freemantle paintings from Duma Key. (Artwork done by Michael Whelan of course!) I would charge $300.00 for this edition.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice ideas, pixie. I'd buy the S/L. You'd probably want to charge slightly higher prices on the numbered and lettered editions.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking probably $250 for the S/L and $800 (maybe even more depending on cost) for the Lettered because of the paintings.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to have a traycase for my New Lieutenant's Rap, with maybe a place opposite to hold the peace sign necklace, and a spot for the quiz.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright...I'm positive I saw somewhere around here a thing like the one you're talking about, Wiz.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm thinking probably $250 for the S/L and $800 (maybe even more depending on cost) for the Lettered because of the paintings.
    I was thinking mostly from a buyer's standpoint. I was charging so low because I wanted to be able to afford to buy the editions!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now's your chance to design a traycase for real! This was in my recent Gauntlet Press newsletter:
    Help Us Decide on Design for Upcoming Traycase

We’d like the input of our Gauntlet Press customers. When we mentioned in our last newsletter the possibility of a wooden traycase for Richard Matheson’s Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (the lettered edition) we received an interesting suggestion. Why not use a facsimile of a airplane “black box” instead? Well, we did a Google search and not only isn’t the “black box” black, it’s not really a box, which might make something like this impossible to replicate. However . . . we asked ourselves Are there other possibilities? So, this is your chance to give your input. What would you like to see the lettered edition housed in? Please keep in mind that the cost of some items would be prohibitive. But, we’re open to suggestions. If you have a suggestion please send it to info@gauntletpress.com. In the subject mention “Traycase for Nightmare...” If we choose your idea (and you are the first to suggest it) you’ll get a galley (ARC) of the book when available.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Country
    Country Flag

Sent in my ideas.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As did I. I suggested the cover of the traycase look like the airspeed, altitude etc. displays in an airplane cockpit.

Example:

Instead of the normal silk ribbon marker used to open/mark the book or traycase, have a yellow tape "Caution" ribbon.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool idea, Jerome!

Country
    Country Flag

I gave them a couple of ideas. The first is to go ahead with the flight recorder idea and use a black box design that I found online that is little more than a rectangular box with two or three add-ons on the top end. I think it would look really cool. This is the picture.

My other idea was to have the front look like an airplane window with the creature looking in the window and the back would look like the other side of the plane wall, either with the back of the creature's head or simply the window of the plane looking into the craft, giving the feeling that WE are the creature.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like those ideas.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, those are good ideas too, Sam.

What a creative bunch of members we have here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast