Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With something like what Ben has, "worth" is not an applicable word. The value of it is whatever Ben were to ascribe to them, not what someone would pay. They are extremely unique items, even if they are unauthorized, and do not hold to the same idea of "whatever someone would pay". It then becomes a matter of whatever the owner would take to part with it.

Ves'Ka, I like your idea of doing The Dark Half. What else would you do with it? Would you have pictures, who would do them if you did? Would you have a ribbon bookmark sewn into the book (never cared for them myself, but many like them)?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooh...I'll have to give this some thought! I would definitely love it to be an illustrated copy, as the description of millions upon millions of sparrows covering the roads and houses leading up to Thad's home have always given me chills. And you know, I'm a little of a traditionalist--I would love to see some good Michael Whelan paintings in there, he seems to have a great combination of class & horror that fit so many of King's works perfectly, I don't think my make-believe Dark Half would be any different. (Although, I do know a few unknown artists from my home-area that may do the book justice).

As for the ribbon--I don't care for them either, as they tend to fray and look poorly after time--but as this would obviously be a display piece, it might be cool to have a black ribbon book mark sewn in with "The Sparrows Are Flying Again" embroidered in a nice blood red.

If I had the ability to commission something like this, it would definitely be a project I could really get into, and I would love to add a million little details.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I wanted to know the story..just that
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It's Ves's imaginary book, but I could see Dave McKean doing illustrations for THE DARK HALF if Whelan were unavailable.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Single volume Dark Tower. 19 copies. Each copy in hand tooled (inside and out) morrocan leather boards, silk moire endpapers. Fully illustrated by all six artists with original (and unique to each copy) art bound in. No PCs, artist, or author copies..just the 19.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Single volume Dark Tower. 19 copies. Each copy in hand tooled (inside and out) morrocan leather boards, silk moire endpapers. Fully illustrated by all six artists with original (and unique to each copy) art bound in. No PCs, artist, or author copies..just the 19.
    That would be a big book. What would you estimate the dimensions on that? What size font for the text? Could you whip up some prototypes* for us to get a better idea?

* and send me one.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

IT, published by Necessary Evil Press, art by Caniglia, with a metal traycase that looks like a sewer gate and red eyes that glow when you open the traycase.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Would the grate be truly 3-D, as in would you see the book through the grate?

If so, would the glowing eyes be in the cover of the book?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post
    IT, published by Necessary Evil Press, art by Caniglia, with a metal traycase that looks like a sewer gate and red eyes that glow when you open the traycase.
    THAT would be kick-ass!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice Earth's Militant Mind is on a distinguished road Earth's Militant Mind's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Not directed at you, Ari, but just in general I think it's probably imprudent for us to ask "How" on a public message board. I'm just glad we got a glimpse of that wonderful, alas, "lost" edition. Ben, when you're ready to donate one of the four- you can pm me here

I think it's a beautiful production, but the Centipede ltds. and trades (and possibly King's reaction to their publication) probably doomed it from the start. Bummer. Would've LOVED to have read this.

Would love to know what any of the Super Collectors would pay for one of these. Hard to put a market "worth" on something that doesn't officially exist. It's more a case of whatever someone's willing to pay.

Ron
    Did someone say donate? I would love to see this as one of the auctions for the fundraiser. judging from ev1's reaction and the fact that I would want one it would certainly be an interesting item.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth's Militant Mind View Post
    Not directed at you, Ari, but just in general I think it's probably imprudent for us to ask "How" on a public message board. I'm just glad we got a glimpse of that wonderful, alas, "lost" edition. Ben, when you're ready to donate one of the four- you can pm me here

I think it's a beautiful production, but the Centipede ltds. and trades (and possibly King's reaction to their publication) probably doomed it from the start. Bummer. Would've LOVED to have read this.

Would love to know what any of the Super Collectors would pay for one of these. Hard to put a market "worth" on something that doesn't officially exist. It's more a case of whatever someone's willing to pay.

Ron
    Did someone say donate? I would love to see this as one of the auctions for the fundraiser. judging from ev1's reaction and the fact that I would want one it would certainly be an interesting item.
    If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foundation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

Ron
    If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foudation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.
    oOOO!

If it's as brilliant as the Second Coming you mentionned... MY GOD !!!
    And if the profits goes to Haven Foundation, I believe there are more chances that it sees daylight... let's wait and see :-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

Ron
    If approved my next project will directly benefit the Haven Foudation. I don't give it great odds but I'm not deterred by rejection.
    oOOO!

And if the profits goes to Haven Foundation, I believe there are more chances that it sees daylight... let's wait and see :-)

The plan is for all profits to go to the Haven Foundation. I'm not looking to make any money; just cover my expenses.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ron
    oOOO!

The plan is for all profits to go to the Haven Foundation. I'm not looking to make any money; just cover my expenses.
    Wonder if King would be more inclined under that format, or if you did the design and then Philtrum published it?

In anycase .... hints??

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    If I was designing and publishing a limited edition it would be:

THE SHINING

Stored in a red velvet lined Traycase that resembles an elevator

Leather black goat kidskin imprinted spine

Marbled End sheets

Bernie Wrightson to do the DJ and Interior work

Limited to 217

Signed by King & Wrightson

Special added features of this rare edition:

Interview with King (If he would want to change one thing about The Shining, what would it be?)

Before the Play added

Price: $425

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

I'd have to go with this a classic in a classic setting
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

Ron
    oOOO!

Wonder if King would be more inclined under that format, or if you did the design and then Philtrum published it?

In anycase .... hints??
    I can only hope that SK will find this approach more appealing. The priority is to get the story out so it wouldn't matter to me if I published it or Philtrum did. That said until I have submitted the proposal (later this year) and have a better feel for the situation it is best to retain details for now.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Tray case Discussion

From an email I sent Tomas, in regards to tray cases for the Bachman paperbacks:

In my mind I'm picturing individual tray cases for each book (I've seen generic ones to hold all four, but that doesn't accommodate people who wish to shelve their books in order of release, or by title). Also, these tray cases could be the size of a hardback book so as to allow uniformity of all King titles on a shelf. When opened the cases would have a spot cut out to place the book in. Using elements from the Stand traycase, it could close with magnets, and have an opening to view the full cover artwork (it would need some type of plastic insert to keep the book inside the case). Then add some foil stamping on the side to give the title and Bachman's name (it wouldn't seem right to put King's name on the case for a book that had no mention of him), and you've got a very nice way of protecting, displaying, and "spicing up" some important but relatively unimpressive (looks wise) early King work.

What are everybody's thoughts on such tray cases?

(Perhaps this can be merged into the Collecting Questions or Random Thoughts thread after a few days of discussion?)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a pretty hot topic these days, no reason not to have a discussion thread just for it for a while.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There is not enough of a market to justify the cost of making traycases for these magazines.

It simple to make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    There is not enough of a market to justify the cost of making traycases for these magazines.

It simple to make your own.

At the end of the day it comes down to market size. In order to justify a new case there needs to be a bare minium of 100 people willing to order. Otherwise
    a) It's just to cost prohibitive to do an elaborate case
    b) It would be possible to do a plain cardboard slipcase, no lettering and cloth covered chipboard.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of traycases, has anyone ever purchased one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-CAR...1%7C240%3A1318

I'd like to have something to protect my Carrie, but $165 seems awfully expensive. The seller also makes one for Night Shift. Just curious about the quality, etc.

I haven't, although the pics look nice. But that's a prime example of

a) It's just to cost prohibitive to do an elaborate case
    If I couldn't make a case for under $100 I wouldn't consider it economically viable. I'll be holding a survey soon on what cases people like to see. If enough people express interest in the other doubleday books I'll make those slipcases as well at a similar price point to The Stand.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by blg View Post
    Speaking of traycases, has anyone ever purchased one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-CAR...1%7C240%3A1318

I'd like to have something to protect my Carrie, but $165 seems awfully expensive. The seller also makes one for Night Shift. Just curious about the quality, etc.
    I bought a similar traycase from them for my copy of ATLAS SHRUGGED. It is very nice. I paid $140 for it in 2003. It is expensive but I think quality traycases are just darned expensive to make. I've considered buying one of the CARRIE traycases but just haven't gotten around to it. I don't think you would be disappointed but you might try making a lower offer and contacting them directly rather than through eBay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast