Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Yeah, I'm a little confused, too - is that a prototype?
    Yes

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's beautiful!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

definitely!

Any plans to publish it?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That would be cool. You should man. There would be some buyers here.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess he needs the authorization first...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I guess he needs the authorization first...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, but that prototype looks awesome!!

Post more pictures, tell us more about it!!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Well, but that prototype looks awesome!!

Post more pictures, tell us more about it!!!
    As mentioned earlier I think the limited of 'Salem's Lot is awesome but would have been even better had it included the original manuscript rather than the deleted scenes and related short stories from Night Shift. That said when I found out Doubleday planned to release a trade edition of the Centipede SL I approached them about including the original manuscript but, according to the editor, they were too far along with production to consider a change.
    I wasn't surprised and decided to take matters into my own hands. I have some small press publishing experience and figured it couldn't hurt to put together a proposal for a limited edition of Second Coming . I submitted a sample chapter along with images and explained the reasoning as best I could. The reality is SL is my favorite book, period, and accordingly I have a strong interest in how it originated. I was less interested in a limited edition per se and more interested in the possibility of making the original manuscript available to SL enthusiasts like myself to read. Based on comments I've read from SK about limited editions and signatures I was careful with my approach and indicated to him that it wouldn't be necessary for him to sign any copies. I didn't care about the signature, I just wanted the story published.
    Alas it wasn't meant to be. I received a polite thanks but no thanks from SK's mananger and that was it. From an objective standpoint it is easy to see why. The Centipede limited was published in 2004 followed by the Douleday trade edition a year later so it really didn't make sense to do anything else with the story. Of course that's the point!
    Anyway it was an interesting and enjoyable experience. As I was working on design and trying to decide what I wanted to do with images I contacted Glenn Chadbourne about the possibility of doing illustrations. SL is one of his favorite SK books and Glenn is very familiar with the landscape around Cumberland where Jerusalem's Lot is supposed to be located. I also contacted the Durham Historical Society about getting a picture of the real Marsten House (named after its last occupants) that was located on The Deep Cut Road. It overlooked a section of town called Methodist Corners and it is this house, along with the Shiloh Church in Durham, that was the basis for the Marsten House in SL. In the end I went a different direction with images. For posterity I've a attached a picture of the real Marsten House (circa 1920s) along with the painting by Robert Addison that I had planned to use for the Marsten House part opener in Second Coming ...
    Attached Images

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thats a great story! Too bad that after all your work it was rejected. Still shows a lot about your character and enthusiasm though!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ben, I really like your prototype. Thanks for sharing the story of your efforts - and the photos.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool prototype

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Impressive! Congratulations!!

Did Bob already bought one?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

It's a shame that you did all the work for nothing.. that's really impressive!

And.. i was wondering the same thing as Ari lol

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Although I was disappointed in the final decision I don't regret the effort. The unfortunate thing is that 'Salem's Lot enthusiasts won't have a chance to read the story as it was originally written. Unless, of course, you are willing and able to visit Fogler Library. It is impressive how well written the first draft was. It is also interesting to see the changes that were made and how it impacted the flow of the story. The published version is a much better book but there are a few scenes and threads from the original manuscript that should have remained.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting info, thanks.
    Geoff

Attached is the Second Coming dust jacket image that I had planned to use. I think it captures the mood of the book and foretells the story to come. The original idea was 300 casebound with dust jacket and slip case along with 15 bound in black leather. I was vascillating between case bound or flexible softcover for the leather edition. The softbound version has a really nice feel to it.
    Attached Images

Country
    Country Flag

Just wondering : how many prototypes were made?

(and minus the one that Bob will buy you lol)

And... may I ask how you got the original manuscript? You dont have to answer if you dont want to ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Just wondering : how many prototypes were made?
    Four numbered prototypes were made.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a sweet book. I like the dustjacket too.

Do the prototypes have only certain sample pages to show what the interior would look like? Or were you able to include the complete text?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It's a sweet book. I like the dustjacket too.

were you able to include the complete text?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wo wo wo...hold your horses, man...

The complete text of the edition we read or the one that is in the Foggler library?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Wo wo wo...hold your horses, man...

The complete text of the edition we read or the one that is in the Foggler library?

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I may have (inadvertently) answered this in my 'wanted" post, but I would create a S/L of The Dark Half. I see a wooden case with sparrows carved into it...black leather binding. And I'm no good at talking about paper types, but those very rough, uneven,thick, pages would do me just fine.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How the f*** did you manage to get the text of the foggler library???

That's pretty amazing!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Not directed at you, Ari, but just in general I think it's probably imprudent for us to ask "How" on a public message board. I'm just glad we got a glimpse of that wonderful, alas, "lost" edition. Ben, when you're ready to donate one of the four- you can pm me here

I think it's a beautiful production, but the Centipede ltds. and trades (and possibly King's reaction to their publication) probably doomed it from the start. Bummer. Would've LOVED to have read this.

Would love to know what any of the Super Collectors would pay for one of these. Hard to put a market "worth" on something that doesn't officially exist. It's more a case of whatever someone's willing to pay.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast