Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

With this being the collector's corner I have a question for you that I'm sure many have thought about.

What if you could design and publish a King book or story as a S/L? What would the book look like, which book/story would you pick, how many would you publish, any idea how much you would charge for it? What sort of paper would you use, what type of binding, slipcase or traycase, how would the lettered edition differ from the numbered, would there even be a lettered edition?

You can chose any existing published book OR story. You can even create a new collection if you'd like, but please limit your work to published material. I'm interested to see what people would come up with.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

If I was designing and publishing a limited edition it would be:

THE SHINING

Stored in a red velvet lined Traycase that resembles an elevator

Leather black goat kidskin imprinted spine

Marbled End sheets

Bernie Wrightson to do the DJ and Interior work

Limited to 217

Signed by King & Wrightson

Special added features of this rare edition:

Interview with King (If he would want to change one thing about The Shining, what would it be?)

Before the Play added

Price: $425

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Country
    Country Flag

That's a really good idea dude. I think the price is off for such a small print run, but I like the print run idea of only 217 copies. Whoever got #217 would be the luckiest of all.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That's a really good idea dude. I think the price is off for such a small print run, but I like the print run idea of only 217 copies. Whoever got #217 would be the luckiest of all.
    Well it would have to be reserved for Ralph himself, no?

Edit: Sidenote - Ralph, I sent you a PM!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I would design a copy of the gunslinger with a special swirly page in the middle that worked as portal to whisk u off into the multiverse (like the books from Myst)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hearts in Atlantis.

999 S/L Copies
    1999 Artist copies.

Illustrated by Michael Whelan (his favourite King book).

Including "Lt. rap" as apendix and the metal peace sign (I don't know how to call it in english).

S/L: Traycased (like From a Buick 8 S/L).
    Artist: Slipcased.

The same paper used in From a Buick 8 S/L
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice Earth's Militant Mind is on a distinguished road Earth's Militant Mind's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well since I am all about The Dark Tower and want to make a S/L of all the connected books as well I have multiple answers:

Hearts in Atlantis (first on the list by far)
    Cell
    The Shining

These would be on the list if we are talking US limited only:
    Bag of Bones (UK has one)
    Rose Madder(UK has one)
    It (German boot leg available, do you think SK would sign mine for me? Really I wouldn't even try...)

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't listed my choice because I've been thinking very hard about what I would do. Which book to choose and how would I do it.

MISERY

Limited Edition:

Slipcased similar to Insomnia and bound in Black leather. On the cover of the slipcase would be the title in red and a two tone capsule of Novril in red and white below the title.

The dustjacket would not be of Misery; it would be of Fast Cars, the book Annie forced Paul to burn. The binding itself would have artwork similar to the art in the first printing of the US paperback if possible (Rather than King holding a woman, perhaps Annie holding an unconscious Paul in the snow with the wrecked car in the background), if not then simply bound in black leather with the title Misery in red and white spots to look like snow.

Japanese endpapers.

Normal typeface.

Interior artwork would be Michael Whelan (six panels).

Edition size: 750 numbered 1-750 and signed in black.

Price: $300

Lettered Edition:

Handmade wooden traycase made to resemble an axe head (even having some red to look like blood on the axe head and using different woods to get the colors desired) with the hinge in the blade of the axe. No two traycases alike. Same woods, but each one made by hand.

No dustjacket. Bound in true parchment/leather meant to resemble the volume that Annie was sure to make from Paul's skin after he finished her special novel.

Parchment endpapers with a skin-like texture to match the binding.

Interior paper would be high quality acid free paper, but would resemble the feel of the typing paper Paul used in the book. The book would be printed so the text would be the similar to the typed manuscript inside the story itself, with the manuscript retaining a different type face from the rest of the story.

Interior artwork would be by Michael Whelan (same as Limited) and Bernie Wrightson (three panels just for Lettered).

Edition size: 26 Lettered (in bold via manuel typewriter) A-Z and signed in blood red ink.

Price: $700 (maybe more depending on cost, price would be set closer to publication and no charges made until priced)

How does that sound?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

As 'Salem's Lot is my personal favorite SK novel I was esctatic when Centipede published its limited edition. I was especially intrigued by the addition of scenes deleted from the original manuscript. But, as much as I liked the way the scenes were presented, I had always thought it would have been even better had the limited contained the published version of SL followed by the original manucript; kind of like a remastered classic album with the demo version included as bonus tracks.
    To that end, knowing there would likely be a very small universe of SL enthusiasts interested, I think it would be cool to publish a limited of Second Coming. Print run would be 300 slip cased black leather bound copies with the title foil stamped in purple on the front and spine and author name blind stamped on the front. End papers and bookmark would match foil stamping. Trim size would be 9 1/4" x 6 1/4". Images for title page and part openers by artist Robert Addison and photographer Simon Marsden. Paper stock would be Mohawk Superfine 70# for text and 100# for images. Font would be Chiller for cover, title page, and part openers; Bookman Old Style for text.
    Attached below are some examples of what Second Coming might look like...
    Attached Images

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it!

John

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is nice. A very good idea.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

All great ideas so far.

What I would like is a book set of the Bachman books. I would like them all, but since Rage isn't an option I would like other six books in a slipcase. If anyone has seen one of the Ray Bradbury Book sets from PS Publishing, then you know what I mean. Small book sizes, pictured book covers (like Joe Hill's Gunpowder), sewn bindings (which PS doesn't do), and two new separate introductions for each book: One by King and one by another author.

Basically what I am getting at is a gift set, nothing fancy, just sharp looking hardcovers in a book set that would look very cool on a book shelf. no King signature, and limited to 1,000 copies. This would keep the cost down to around $150 to $200.

This would be an opportunity to get single hardcovers of the first books like the Long Walk, and they would be a uniformed set, which would look very cool.
    Geoff

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

As 'Salem's Lot is my personal favorite SK novel I was esctatic when Centipede published its limited edition. I was especially intrigued by the addition of scenes deleted from the original manuscript. But, as much as I liked the way the scenes were presented, I had always thought it would have been even better had the limited contained the published version of SL followed by the original manucript; kind of like a remastered classic album with the demo version included as bonus tracks.
    To that end, knowing there would likely be a very small universe of SL enthusiasts interested, I think it would be cool to publish a limited of Second Coming. Print run would be 300 slip cased black leather bound copies with the title foil stamped in purple on the front and spine and author name blind stamped on the front. End papers and bookmark would match foil stamping. Trim size would be 9 1/4" x 6 1/4". Images for title page and part openers by artist Robert Addison and photographer Simon Marsden. Paper stock would be Mohawk Superfine 70# for text and 100# for images. Font would be Chiller for cover, title page, and part openers; Bookman Old Style for text.
    Ok, curiosity kills me. That book you posted EXISTS?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I would buy Ralph's THE SHINING, Ari's HIA, Sam's MISERY, Ben's SECOND COMING, and Geoff's BACHMAN BOOKS. Just don't release them all in the same year.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    All great ideas so far.

What I would like is a book set of the Bachman books. I would like them all, but since Rage isn't an option I would like other six books in a slipcase. If anyone has seen one of the Ray Bradbury Book sets from PS Publishing, then you know what I mean. Small book sizes, pictured book covers (like Joe Hill's Gunpowder), sewn bindings (which PS doesn't do), and two new separate introductions for each book: One by King and one by another author.

Basically what I am getting at is a gift set, nothing fancy, just sharp looking hardcovers in a book set that would look very cool on a book shelf. no King signature, and limited to 1,000 copies. This would keep the cost down to around $150 to $200.

This would be an opportunity to get single hardcovers of the first books like the Long Walk, and they would be a uniformed set, which would look very cool.
    I would like to see the same treatment for Different Seasons:four individual slip cased books that would fit into a larger slip case box. Each individual slip case would have the corresponding "season" illustration from the original hard cover dust jacket. The box slip case would have all 4 seasons on each sides and back.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

All great ideas so far.

I doubt you'll ever see this, mainly because King has pulled Rage and it just wouldn't be the same without that one. It IS a nice concept, though.

John

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    All great ideas so far.

I doubt you'll ever see this, mainly because King has pulled Rage and it just wouldn't be the same without that one. It IS a nice concept, though.

John
    Yep Rage would be the problem
    Geoff

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    +1
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    +1
    +4

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Spanish, please!
    Or english, actually.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like up to 4 of those books actually exist.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Below is what the Second Coming limited table of contents and epilogue part opener might look like...
    Attached Images

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So, did you already make yourself this book?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'm a little confused, too - is that a prototype?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here we are fantasizing about making a S/L and he's doing it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast