Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My wife and kids joke that ten minutes after I am lowered into the gorund that all my colleciton will go up on ebay! I insist that will not be the case, that if no one in the family wants them to throw everything inthe coffin and I'lll take 'em with me whereever I go! :-) I jokje that my will states this case explicitely!

Actually, I hope that one of my children wants them to keep! I have 4 children and one daughter and one son are into reading so there is hope!

And I do not have any high dollar items like worth $5K as stated above. I think the most expensive item in my collection is my Six Stories in the trey case. Maybe my First Edition Carrie signed at The Three Kings Event comes in second! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I think mine all go to Nerak. Isn't that right Karen?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure she isn't gonna' dispute that.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have anything nearly that expensive, but the couple of things I do have I definitely don't want to go to my relatives, who don't know/care what they are worth and wouldn't take care of or appreciate them.

Damn. I think I need to draw up a will now. Maybe I'll donate it to the ASPCA and let them sell it for cash. Hmmm.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think mine all go to Nerak. Isn't that right Karen?
    what a suckup.... guess you think that'll get you a sister's remarq...huh?

(it's a lie karen... i know for a fact he has bequethed everything to me.... so send me the remarq... not him)

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I too have everything on a detailed spreadsheet in case I enter the clearing at the end of the path.

I have a list of super collectors and key bookstores as a reference for my family. They know who to contact (and that includes a few members from this site). As wonderful as these people are, I know that they would all help my family in time of need, just as I would be willing to give my best advice to someone else's family.

In the end, I think my family would keep a few items as a rememberance of me, but the bulk would be sold.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Since given my age and health this seems appropriate, they will go to my son. I've kept detailed logs and receipts of all purchases and have told him where to go to value them (SKcollector.com, Hutch and Betts) but, most of all (and I realize this is morbid) I told him NEVER to sell them until AFTER SK moves on to the clearing at the end of the path.

I also collect art by Ronnie Wood of the Stones and Roger Dean and have told my kids never to sell them until after they pass.

Truth be told, I like to think they will more than likely hold onto the stuff for a while as they grew up knowing their respective collectibility. The Disney Cells (Yeah Cells) go to my Grand kids. First in their nursery's then........who knows? lol lol

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My wife will get all of my collection if I go first and knowing her, she won't part with a single item. Talk to my brother after we're both gone. He gets it from there and will do with it what he pleases. I should probably have a discussion with him about the value of my collections. Not that they're worth that much, but all together they're worth a small sum. Under ten grand for sure, but over five I'd say when you add in the artwork.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I think I have already said that I plan on my sons sending everything to you guys here @ dt.com. After all who would appriciate it more?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Unless I kick off first, your family/loved ones can always come to me at Betts Books now that I am a business owner.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

That's quite an attractive proposition,
    but I wonder if we could sell them for beam bucks
    or something here online...or if sold for real
    all procedes to haven or something

The answer is within

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...my girlfriend knows she has to contact you if something happens to me
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

After thinking long and hard on the matter I've decided NOT to die so I can continue collecting.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Well...my girlfriend knows she has to contact you if something happens to me
    Ari, your girlfriend is going to contact me personally?

The answer is within

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If I can't take it with me, I'm not going!!

John

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Life is a garden...dig it!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget to consider the possibility that you and your spouse/partner might "peg it" at the same time.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that's a happy thought...
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Don't forget to consider the possibility that you and your spouse/partner might "peg it" at the same time.
    This is an important point. Because this thread was recently bumped, I reviewed my original posts and realized that I still have not let anyone other than my wife know who to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If I keel over tomorrow, my wife will probably sell them on eBay.

If I live long, then I'll leave them to my kids - if they have interest when they're older.
    If she wanted to sell them, my wife would either come here and find this forum, as I've mentioned she should do (I've even mentioned a few people by real name to look for - if she remembers). Or she'd simply trust eBay bidders to set the market price. She knows enough not to donate them to Goodwill or sell them in a garage sale.

Now that I'm thinking about it... If we were both to go out at the same time while the boys are still young, I don't know if anyone else (the grandparents mainly) would realize the value. Maybe I better mention something to someone else in the family...
    Maybe I'll do what Rahfa did and store a note of instructions in my bookcase...
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    After thinking long and hard on the matter I've decided NOT to die so I can continue collecting.
    I am very sorry to hear that you have made that decision Brice because holy ground or not dammit you've just got to go sometime. I mean I love ya and all, but we both know there can be only one. And it ain't gonna be you dude.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep telling yourself that.

If you rescue me

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have any items worth more than a few hundred dollars a piece (yet), but even so--my books will go to my children, King books and other gems alike. I hope they grow a love for the King books as I have and keep them, but if not, I'd rather my children benefit from the sale of them than anyone else.

That being said--if any of you are unsure of who you might leave your books in care of...I will kindly volunteer my services.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Funny I found this thread when I did. Since my collection is hovering around the 5k mark, maybe even passed it by now, the wife and I had this talk a few days ago. I was making it clear that there were certain books that would never go up for sale regardless of the situation. I had been in the hospital that week, and "things" were a topic a few nights after I got out. She asked what would I do with the books if I passed. My response was an easy one. Hopefully some times goes by and I will be able to judge which of my kids would love the collection as I do. That would be the kid who gets them. She was floored. She thought for sure, I would automatically leave everything to her and let her sort things out later. That is not exactly the right choice in my life, as my first three kids are by my second wife. Atm, my 13 yr old daughter holds the most interest in reading, so she is my natural choice. This could change, but only if she takes a drastic change in direction.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My daughter announced to my family that she will assume ownership of my collection after I kick the bucket.

I don't know what she will do with it all though.
    In addition to my SK collection (meager as it is), I also have a massive comic collection that includes original art, statues, prints, lithographs, etc. that has been building since the early '70s.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully she intends to keep it all.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast