Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I believe The Library Poilceman's idea is better suited than most realize. I've got two young adults, in their mid-20's, and when asked who would prefer the collection, I got shrugs from both. Books, and collecting in general, don't seem to be of much concern to this generation, at least from what I see, and I think it's more because of the digital age. My daughter, however, specificallly requested my pistols.

If I don't make it around to selling my small, modest collection, I'll probably leave it to Betts.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I don't have much of a specialty collection; a few signed limiteds (Centipede 'Salem's Lot limited & deluxe, Christine, Skeleton Crew, Dan Simmons' Summer Of Night lettered & limited and Centipede lettered The Haunting Of Hill House) and some gift editions (Cemetery Doubleday through Night Shift + FDNS and Secretary of Dreams 1&2, Misery, Insomnia, The Shining and Desperation). I have all (mostly first edition) SK hardcovers up through 11/22/63 when I stopped buying books (unless compelling). All books are on a spreadsheet with approximate values for my wife along with Betts contact info. My Centipede deluxe 'Salem's will be going to Jared Walters so, if he chooses, he can finally reap the well deserved financial reward beyond the $900 he received from me in 2004 for that exceptional production. A little pay if forward for something that has given me so much pleasure.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

An interesting topic and one I've had on my mind for some time lately. As I now have three rooms of my house dedicated to King and general horror collections and have been going through home appraisals, home refinancing and updates, it's been suggested by family and housing financers that I should probably look into creating a will and estate plan for my collection considering I'm not married to my partner and I have no children.

I also had thought about adding "Just call David at Betts!" in my will, but I understand I need to do more then that. There are certain parts of my collection that I don't wish to be separated. I'm not an "investor collector" and don't wish for it to be sold by someone upon my demise. I would rather see my King promo and magazine collection as a part of an archives, as it's rather unique and most items are next to impossible to find (sorry Ari!). I'm already in the process of formulating a plan for my horror zine archives to remain intact as it's probably one of the world's largest collections. Would like to see some of this stuff as a collection in a library or something similar at some point as it needs to be SEEN, not stored away on shelves collecting dust. Anyone who has tips and suggestions, I would love to hear from you. My current plan is that my entire SK collection is to remain in an "archives" collection, and to not ever be sold.
    ~Jonathan

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    An interesting topic and one I've had on my mind for some time lately. As I now have three rooms of my house dedicated to King and general horror collections and have been going through home appraisals, home refinancing and updates, it's been suggested by family and housing financers that I should probably look into creating a will and estate plan for my collection considering I'm not married to my partner and I have no children.

I also had thought about adding "Just call David at Betts!" in my will, but I understand I need to do more then that. There are certain parts of my collection that I don't wish to be separated. I'm not an "investor collector" and don't wish for it to be sold by someone upon my demise. I would rather see my King promo and magazine collection as a part of an archives, as it's rather unique and most items are next to impossible to find (sorry Ari!). I'm already in the process of formulating a plan for my horror zine archives to remain intact as it's probably one of the world's largest collections. Would like to see some of this stuff as a collection in a library or something similar at some point as it needs to be SEEN, not stored away on shelves collecting dust. Anyone who has tips and suggestions, I would love to hear from you. My current plan is that my entire SK collection is to remain in an "archives" collection, and to not ever be sold.
    I think this is a great idea!

If you are serious about getting this done, I would start the process of finding an institution who will take your collection into their archives. Archival space is not unlimited and it comes with costs, so many university and public libraries don't just accept all comers re: adding material to their archives. That said, what you have is definitely distinct and not just "man wills room full of old newspapers to local library"-type stuff so I imagine you would have some institutional takers, maybe even a place that has some King papers (not sure how widely distributed they are), or a place that has an extensive zine collection, or something similar. You might even find an institution who wants to add breadth to their collection and likes the idea of adding a complete or near-complete archive of material of something different! But they would want to choose this, not have it dropped on them out of the blue.

As I said to start: I think this is a neat idea and I have no doubt that you will ultimately find a taker!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Last year, the university of Pittsburgh acquired George Romero's archives
    Maybe they'd be interested in your general horror / King collection?

Just a random thought

And well, maybe King's office would be interested in their part of your collection, for their archives?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think a few pieces of my collection/artwork will get claimed by my children (especially my daughter). At some point, not any time soon I think, I will sell my collection through Betts.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I will sell my collection through Betts.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think a few pieces of my collection/artwork will get claimed by my children (especially my daughter). At some point, not any time soon I think, I will sell my collection through Betts.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh. There is like two or three things that your brother here is claiming! LOL That Crimson King Whelan I need in my life. LOL
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Who’ll get the commission???

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

resurrecting the dead....

....I have told plenty of people that I would sell their collections upon their demise but now at 63 years of age I am starting to ask myself "Who sells my stuff if I pass?" Only in past year I gave my wife a list of who to contact if I should pass before I "sell my collection."

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

I’ve thought of that lately too. Do I sell now or give to kids to sell? Have been debating that in my head a lot lately…….
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I think about this too.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Retired a couple of years ago and living on a fixed income, teacher's pension, and still wanting to buy the occasional limited that comes by - simply not doable. Plus the fact I wouldn't know who would sell my books once I'm gone - well, I decided to sell now (now being about five years ago), generating a bit of extra income and making sure my books find a new appreciative home. Does it hurt, selling my almost 45 years of collecting? Nah, not half as much as I thought it would.

sk

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've been dispensing with mine a bit at a time over the past several years. I now see it as a burden to those left behind to figure out what to do with them, and I think there are other people who would appreciate those books now more than I do.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

When I’m 65 (God willing) my daughter will be 21. Selling up then and giving her the cash.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

MAKE NO MISTAKE.. unless I die suddenly I want to see HAPPY collectors get some of my coveted prizes. I know many here have passed on to me thiers... Other than no burdens to whom we leave behind... thats what I am most looking forward to. Seeing a thrilled younger generation of collector.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

resurrecting the dead....

....I have told plenty of people that I would sell their collections upon their demise but now at 63 years of age I am starting to ask myself "Who sells my stuff if I pass?" Only in past year I gave my wife a list of who to contact if I should pass before I "sell my collection."
    I hear you David, I gave my wife your name! Don't be exiting early!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9