Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarest of the Rare

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

From an archive of the (at this time) defunct website for Hill House :

There's a side story to this book's publication of interest to collectors. The first edition of 'Salem's Lot was priced at $7.95. One of the points of a true first edition 'Salem's Lot dust jacket is the inclusion of an error in the flap copy—the character "Father Cody" is misprinted as "Father Callahan." For many years this was considered the absolute first issue—until 1983, that is. I was working at Doubleday at the time as a publicist and had just finished doing the publicity on Pet Sematary. One day I was walking by the art department and noticed that the designers were cleaning out their flat files, throwing out the thousands of old dust jackets that had accumulated over the years. I saw a few King jackets lying in the discard file and asked if I could take them. Once I returned to my office, I started leafing through the dust jackets and saw three covers for 'Salem's Lot. I noticed, however, that the retail price was wrong—$8.95 instead of $7.95. However, the "Father Cody" error was present. I called my friend Bill Thompson and asked how this could be. Bill replied that the book had been originally priced at $8.95; however, at the last minute the sales department had decided that it was priced too high and should be reduced by $1. The dust jackets had just been printed with the original price, but they were still at the printer, so Doubleday made the call to have the printer price-clip the $8.95 and run the jackets through the press with the new price of $7.95. I realized that I was holding the three dust jackets that had been sent to the art department before the repricing. Today these three dust jackets, mated with first edition books, reside in the collections of the three top Stephen King collectors in the world. A dealer sold the third one about two years ago for over $10,000.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The rarest King published book is, People, Places and Things - Volume 1". This is a collection of short stories just like Skeleton Crew or Just After Sunset. (It is number A1 in the SK Primary Bibliography)

Stephen King owns the only copy. Rarer than 'Salem's Lot, and worth a lot more than $50k.

Prototypes and proofs have not been published on the open market.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a Galley Proof of "Bag of Bones" which was an in-house publisher copy. According to Hutch there was only 20 printed and it was only distributed to employees. Hutch was kind enough to make me a deal on it but I still paid a handsome sum as you can imagine. I kinda look at it as the "Jewel" of my collection rarity-wise as I have other rare/signed and numbered books (especially those UK firsts, such cool DJ's!!!) especially "Regulators" UK first!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know what the absolute rarest thing is beyond a shadow of doubt?

Sai King in your upstairs Bedroom, hobbled and typing new chapters to the Dark Tower!!!!

LOL

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Sai King in your upstairs Bedroom, hobbled and typing new chapters to the Dark Tower!!!!

LOL
    isnt that just like a dirty-bird to say
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I have the s/l of The Plant, 2 of 3 w/same number...All 3 are inscribed to Chris Chesley, his childhood friend...not unique from The Plant perspective, but I think the prior ownership is very unique.

That "People, Places and Things" is a strange case...anything that unique is hard to judge valuewise, because it's not even a real collectible.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post

LOL
    Oh c'mon give me a break. It was just a joke!! lol lol Misery get it? lol lol

Just trying to "lighten things up" a bit. Seems I can't get a break on these boards lol lol lol

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL

Just trying to "lighten things up" a bit. Seems I can't get a break on these boards lol lol lol
    Dirty Bird is from Misery...

I'd like to see pics of your jewel Merlin, sounds nice.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post

LOL

I can arrange that. although I hate to take it out of its protection but I will for you guys. Just give me some time as I am old and technologically challenged (psst how do I attach Pics?)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

[IMG][/IMG]
    Did that do it? God I'm such a technological idiot. Hope this works

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

One more time

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

God Damn!!!! I did it!!!!!

Sorry for the profanity!!!

Thanks Chooch!!!! You Da Man!!!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

One more time

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Very cool Merlin.

Is that a slip or tray case with it?

Mulleins

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, Merlin. I have that one, but no slipcase/traycase.

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    One more time

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Very cool Merlin.

Is that a slip or tray case with it?

Mulleins
    Slipcase. I guess because it was intended as an internal document. nevertheless I just love it to death. Thanks for all your compliments. You know (I'm sure) us collectors LOVE to show off our acquisitions!!! lol lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post

LOL

Sorry about that. Didn't catch it at first but, you're right. Good one!!!

BTW now that you taught me how to do that I just may bore the living crap outta you all with some of my other favorites!!!! lol lol lol

J/K

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bore away! I'm always glad to see other people's treasures!

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Bore away! I'm always glad to see other people's treasures!

John
    Well now that I have a "go ahead' I just might. lol

But at the risk of getting in trouble, my Nephew Michael Bender, recently passed away. Monday (1/12), as a matter of fact after a long bour of CP (from birth) and CHF. He was 21 yrs old. He loved Stephen King books and was in fact, sadly, only in the middle of W&G when he passed. He was a "Shriner" child if you know what that entales.

Matt is running a charity auction for the benefit of the Haven Foundation. Matt being the good person that he is has agreed to include Michaels name in the donation and comemorate him in some way, I have personally agreed, as well as a few Ebay "freinds" to donate books and collectibles that we (I) can to the cause. Anything and everything that you can muster will I am sure be appreciated. Matt is a good man and "Mikey" was a big fan.

It just jazzes me up to know that he may be remembered in this way and on this forum. Whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated and for a good cause ......The Haven Foundation.

Thanks to all. Please no posted messages on the subject. I am not here for sympathy (don't mean to sound rude) if you can help, Great if not, that's great too.

Thanks to all for your time and consideration

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Now how rare is this set?
    Signed Carrie 1st edition
    Signed Carried US ARC/Proof
    Signed Carrie 1st UK edition
    No idea how rare the set is, but I have seen a bookseller with a Carrie 1st edition, 1st printing that he wanted $900 for about 10 years ago. It wasn't even in really great condition.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have one of the three!!

And it's signed "To Sam - With best wishes"

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Country
    Country Flag

Liar.
    It doesn't say that. Does it?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    I have a signed manuscript of the Green Mile #1 and an unsigned manuscript copy. Got both from Chris Cavalier's collection. Tough to get however-I got lucky with mine!

Country
    Country Flag

You know what that means right Gretchen? I'll PM my address so you can send my book to me. I think the courts would see it my way, after all it DOES have my name in it. Don't make me have to get them involved.

(I wish we could have had our books inscribed at the JAS event.)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm enjoying this discussion and these photos.

Merlin, please do post more photos here in the Corner. In fact, you might consider opening you very own collection thread in the Book Collections subforum.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast