Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Seriously. Wolves of the Calla ends with one of the biggest cliff hangers in the whole series.
    I'll agree with ya on that one

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

It's so strange that people don't like long books.
    My favourite type of book:
    - incredibly long
    - very heavy
    - itty-bitty letters
    - very thin pieces of paper
    - lots of descriptions

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree, though it is getting harder to read those little bitty words

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    It's so strange that people don't like long books.
    My favourite type of book:
    - incredibly long
    - very heavy
    - itty-bitty letters
    - very thin pieces of paper
    - lots of descriptions
    Sounds incredibly similiar to ANY James A. Mitchener book. Oy vay, those are long.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot stand those books that seem to be long because of the damn big letters and they can be sold for more money, too. Because they seem long.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot stand those books that seem to be long because of the damn big letters and they can be sold for more money, too. Because they seem long.
    Yes! and that thick paper, too! You think, oh what a big book, it will last me at least a few wonderful days - and then you're cheated.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

On this note, I was shocked by how big a hardcover version of From a Buick 8 became. What a waste

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have personal reasons for hating hardcovers, and big formats. I always bring books from abroad, and I can't cram my suitcase full of those huge monsters, or I'll get such overweight they won't let me into the plane.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yes! and that thick paper, too! You think, oh what a big book, it will last me at least a few wonderful days - and then you're cheated.
    *drums*

And we agree again. (incredible)
    You speak from my heart.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And if they do let you on the plane, they'll probably charge you absurd amounts of dollars for every pound that's over the limit you're allowed to carry.

*Directed at Jean's Post*

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    And if they do let you on the plane, they'll probably charge you absurd amounts of dollars for every pound that's over the limit you're allowed to carry.

*Directed at Jean's Post*
    Precisely. And I don't even have these dollars, because every time I would have already spent every one of them on books.

To bring the thread back to topic: all my students read King, and some of them become truly converted!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So when can we expect to be inundated with Jean's students?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    So when can we expect to be inundated with Jean's students?
    any day now... no, alas, they are all burdened with jobs and families and stuff... but I don't lose hope

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

they should get their priorities in order.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm close to turning another friend of mine over to the dark side, the following conversation is between him and myself:

Friend : "I got a hold of one of those dark tower comics the other day, pretty good shit"

Me: "I told you! You should check out the novels as well, I like them even better."

Friend: "Good?"

Me : "Fuck yeah!"

Friend: "Fuck it, you convinced me"

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty good shit... and it means something positive... sometimes English language has some nice surprises for me.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I must admit, it is a pretty unorthodox way of praising something, but it seems to get the job done.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright, so this past Thursday a lady co worker of mine saw me reading The Hobbit and she told me how much she loved the book. She asked me if I had read the Narnia novels, I told her I hadn't but was planning to, and she offered to lend me the complete volumes (which I gladly accepted); Immediately, I thought of returning the favor and I asked her if she would be interested in starting The Dark Tower At first she declined, stating that King was too scary for her. I quickly dispersed her doubts, telling her that the series was about a long journey/quest , and was heavily influenced by the Lord of The Rings. She gave in, and I let her borrow the Gunslinger and The Drawing of The Three friday afternoon. Let's hope that her interest was piqued enough to want to keep reading the series!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Alright, so this past Thursday a lady co worker of mine saw me reading The Hobbit and she told me how much she loved the book. She asked me if I had read the Narnia novels, I told her I hadn't but was planning to, and she offered to lend me the complete volumes (which I gladly accepted); Immediately, I thought of returning the favor and I asked her if she would be interested in starting The Dark Tower At first she declined, stating that King was too scary for her. I quickly dispersed her doubts, telling her that the series was about a long journey/quest , and was heavily influenced by the Lord of The Rings. She gave in, and I let her borrow the Gunslinger and The Drawing of The Three friday afternoon. Let's hope that her interest was piqued enough to want to keep reading the series!
    Thats great to see.. My only wondering about it, is that I hope she doesn't think stylistically it will be anything like LOTR, because she will be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't say the Dark Tower saga is "heavily" influenced by LOTR. Its more heavily influenced by a combination of speghetti westerns and Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came than anything else.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

She told me that she didn't have much time to read this weekend but that she did get a good 30 pages in. She also brought it with her today to read during one of her breaks.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

SHWEET!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing Fever.

One of my friends has mentioned that she would like to read the series (she has been seeing the books in my hands for 10 years now) but somehow I have a feeling... she wouldn't finish it. If she borrows them I will lend them with pleasure but I have such a strong feeling that she won't finish the journey. She wouldn't finish the first book, either.
    Have you ever felt something like this?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! My boyfriend read the first three books and then just....quit. I have no possible idea how you can just quit reading at the end of The Wastelands. Anyways, I keep asking him to read Wizard and Glass, but he keeps putting it off. I have a feeling he'll never finish reading the series, but he said if I get them in audiobook, he'll listen to them.

I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Yes! My boyfriend read the first three books and then just....quit. I have no possible idea how you can just quit reading at the end of The Wastelands.

must be some specific type of people. A student of mine did exactly the same. It's a mystery.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes it was so strange. Especially because he read the first three books back to back in the span of just a few days.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast