Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Second that

Along the Path of the Beam Rolands_Father is on a distinguished road Rolands_Father's Avatar

I agree with that also!

However when it comes to getting people to read this series, it is difficult, since the novels were written over such a long period of time, which causes the writing style to greatly vary between books.
    The first book is probably the most different of all, and is therefore the most difficult to get people to read. But Once they get about 10 pages into the book, I can pretty much guarantee...

THEY WILL BE HOOKED!!!!
    The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

Roland Rocks Mid-World!!!
    And all other Worlds!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rolands_Father View Post
    I agree with that also!

However when it comes to getting people to read this series, it is difficult, since the novels were written over such a long period of time, which causes the writing style to greatly vary between books.
    The first book is probably the most different of all, and is therefore the most difficult to get people to read. But Once they get about 10 pages into the book, I can pretty much guarantee...

THEY WILL BE HOOKED!!!!
    Well done.
    They can only win.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

just got Lauren to read The Gunslinger after 3 years of convincing my life goal is complete

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two friends, two teachers, one brother, one cousin, one neighbor, 3 co-workers....

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Two friends, two teachers, one brother, one cousin, one neighbor, 3 co-workers....
    That's a nice list above.

Along the Path of the Beam Rolands_Father is on a distinguished road Rolands_Father's Avatar

Wow!!!

Thats Very impressive! How did you do it!!!!
    The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

And all other Worlds!!!

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow!!!

I bought one of the friends DT1 as a birthday present. The other friend was in the hospital with an eating disorder so I gave her the whole series to read, she read it in two and a half weeks.

Mostly just bugging them until they read it. I havent had my complete set in a year and a half because I lend them out as fast as I get them back. One of the teachers was an ex-university literature teacher who had never touched SK because it was popular fiction. I wrote an essay for his class (he now teaches high school) about the series and instead of handing it too him in class I put it in his inbox wih DT1 and he's been hooked since.

THe three coworkers were huge HP fans that I always argued with about which series was better, my argument being that they had no way to compare until they read the series, since I had read both.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very impressive strategy

Have them sign up and its all kinds of money towards poker

(500 per referral)
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Wow!!!

I bought one of the friends DT1 as a birthday present. The other friend was in the hospital with an eating disorder so I gave her the whole series to read, she read it in two and a half weeks.

Mostly just bugging them until they read it. I havent had my complete set in a year and a half because I lend them out as fast as I get them back. One of the teachers was an ex-university literature teacher who had never touched SK because it was popular fiction. I wrote an essay for his class (he now teaches high school) about the series and instead of handing it too him in class I put it in his inbox wih DT1 and he's been hooked since.

THe three coworkers were huge HP fans that I always argued with about which series was better, my argument being that they had no way to compare until they read the series, since I had read both.
    You are a professional DT junkie maker.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

that should really be a member title.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

that should really be a member title.
    Good idea.

Wow!!!

Let's see, the birthday present is a great idea! Why havent I thaught about that.
    And your ex-university literature teacher sounds alot like my uncle! He is a retired school teacher and used to tell his kids that when they did a report on american authors they could do it on any author...EXCEPT STEPHEN KING!!!!!!!
    Such evil!You have no idea what my face looked like when I heard this news!
    As a matter of fact I'll show you...

Yeah! You could see the smoke bellowing out of my ears! So, fuming, I storm off to my bookshelf and picked up the stand! I went back to my living room and put that novel x10 into his hands. After he summoned the strength to lift it up, he started looking through the pages. I'll show you his face at the time...

Needless to say he could not believe that this was popular fiction! He could not believe it was written by Stephen King!
    I got him to read it and he soon changed his mind!(not IT, i mean The Stand!)

Well anyway that's my story. My face at the time...

The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

And all other Worlds!!!

Country
    Country Flag

And my face at the moment:

Thanks so much!
    The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

And all other Worlds!!!

John F. Kennedy flair is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flair View Post
    My girlfriend asked me to put a few audio books on her ipod the other day. She said she wanted to listen to whatever I was listening too which happened to be stephen king. Surprisingly she really like it, and blazes through them as fast as I do. My next step is to throw the gunslinger on it, and hope she gets passed that and into TDoTT. If she isn't hooked by then...
    She made it to drawing, and was thrown off at first. I think she is now officially hooked now that she is about 100 pages in.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Way to go flair

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My daughter got through the first 4 before she kind of lost interest but I think that had to do more with life changes (baby, marriage) than not liking the story.

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

I have gotten one and a half. My two best friends. One got instantly hooked and read the whole series twice. The other finished Wolves of the Calla over a year a ago and stopped. I asked him if he didn't like them, he said he loved them, but he just had other things to read. He is a high school english teacher, but I still think he was just placating me. He says he is going to finish the books, when he gets time to read contempary literature. He also says the same thing about Harry Potter which he stopped after The Goblet of Fire, but I am pretty sure he wasn't impressed by Harry Potter.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How could anyone not be able to pick up the next book after The Goblet of Fire or Wolves of the Calla?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Seriously. Wolves of the Calla ends with one of the biggest cliff hangers in the whole series.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had similar problems convincing friends to try out The Dark Tower

When I casually mentioned the length of the series to a friend during an IM conversation I could almost envision her eyes popping out of her head.

I can't say that I've convinced anyone to become a Tower junkie through personal contact, but there have been people online who started reading it. I can't claim credit for them, but I'm sure that my promotion of this work-in my every day discussions on various message boards-was a contributing factor.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Thank you for spreading the word Ruthful my man.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

It's my pleasure.

The funny thing is that juxtaposed against other Tower junkies-my confreres on this board-I would place myself somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, but it's a bit different when we're speaking of non-King fans, or people who haven't touched upon any part of The Dark Tower.

I recall an encounter I had in a bar in Chinatown a few years ago. There was a cute blond waitress there who I thought was named Cort. It turns out that was a diminutive for her name, Courtney. But the first thing that jumped into mind was The Gunslinger, notwithstanding the fact that finding a woman in her mid-20s who was named after an ancillary character in one of King's more obscure works tending bar in NYC would be an extremely bizarre coincidence.

I guess it just demonstrated that I was more of a junkie than I had previously assumed.

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    How could anyone not be able to pick up the next book after The Goblet of Fire or Wolves of the Calla?
    Believe me I can't even begin to imagine. I think he actually liked The Dark Tower, but I don't think he ever loved it on the level of people like us. As for Harry Potter I have the sneaking suspicion that he didn't care for the books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast