Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

All I've ever had to do is hand my copy of The Gunslinger to whomever I want to read it and say, "Trust me."

This has been 100% effective.

Along the Path of the Beam dr shottie is on a distinguished road dr shottie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have to try handing my copy of gunslinger to my mates

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, know what you mean shottie. cant persuade any one i know to read these, even King fans are unsure of it. i have leant a copy out and it was never read, tried the trust me route - nothing

its one of the reasons i was so excited to find this site

Along the Path of the Beam dr shottie is on a distinguished road dr shottie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah well as long as i know how good it is it kinda dont matter lol

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    All I've ever had to do is hand my copy of The Gunslinger to whomever I want to read it and say, "Trust me."

This has been 100% effective.
    i'll just buy a copy for someone if i think they'll actually read it.

i did that for my friend martha, and then read the others to her during our commute to work. yes, we had a long drive. but then we'd get to work and call in late so i could keep reading to her.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I knew how. I've failed so far - my brother fell asleep The Gunslinger in his hand and complained afterwards it was too complicated. Which is a fail, as we usually read the same books. sigh.

So far I know only one in my circle of friends who reads DT books, and he was the one who got me here. Maybe I've chosen wrong friends?

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dr shottie View Post
    have to try handing my copy of gunslinger to my mates
    Very brave thing to do.
    Whenever I lend a book to one of my friends in my head I say goodbye to it forever. (yeah, I am a bit insane)

Roland would have understood.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, not insane at all, Letti. I think some of my friends have had my books for a couple of years now. :sigh:

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cry your pardon dr shottie, but I had to merge this thread with an old one which is about a very similar topic.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Cry your pardon dr shottie, but I had to merge this thread with an old one which is about a very similar topic.
    hmmm, I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread just before (as?) you moved it, but the reply seem to have gone Todash
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    hmmm, I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread just before (as?) you moved it, but the reply seem to have gone Todash
    Are you sure? I am really sorry. I have no idea how it could have happened. I didn't delete an posts.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

yep, completely sure, but it doesn't matter. I didn't contribute too much anyway :p

No harm done

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    yep, completely sure, but it doesn't matter. I didn't contribute too much anyway :p

No harm done
    you always contribute chap
    tell me what you wanted to say
    **shuffles bum to make self comfortable**

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

well the title of the thread I was replying to was "how to get friends to read the dark tower", or something like that.
    and my reply was, quoting from memory:
    If we could make a thread titled "how to make friends" first, then maybe I could contribute to this one later

On a more serious note: I've gotten two people to read the series. But everyone else have been a little indifferent, specially since not all of it is translated to Norwegian yet. and the translations take forever. Plus we have to wait 7-8 months after release to get the paperback version (hardcover in Norway = ridiculously expensive)

Country
    Country Flag

its ok about joining threads together its all for the greater good anyway
    ive just lent my brother the gunslinger. ive said to him put that shit down that your reading at the moment and start with the dark tower, itll take time and patience but in the end it will be worth the read.

Traveler Spawn is on a distinguished road Spawn's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes I have! I converted my best friend not so long ago. We both like to read, and I always keep on talking about TDT this and TDT that...so she began to interest herself and decided to check it out to see what all the fuzz was about.

However, she could not find The Gunslinger (in english) in any store, so I sacrificed myself and sent her my copy. This was done by mail because now we live in different countries.

Country
    Country Flag

ive handed my copy of the gunslinger to my younger brother and said to him you have to read this it will change you forever

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Yes I have! I converted my best friend not so long ago. We both like to read, and I always keep on talking about TDT this and TDT that...so she began to interest herself and decided to check it out to see what all the fuzz was about.

However, she could not find The Gunslinger (in english) in any store, so I sacrificed myself and sent her my copy. This was done by mail because now we live in different countries.
    Weren't you a bit worried that it wouldn't arrive?

Traveler Spawn is on a distinguished road Spawn's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but I had to take that chance

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Yeah, but I had to take that chance
    I got to like you very quickly.

Traveler uncle_whoopass is on a distinguished road uncle_whoopass's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've tried to convert so many people! I've even brought the first 4 in a box-set for 2 friends and one of them still hasn't started reading them, where as the other did last week and is on the 90th page of 'The Gunslinger' but he 'thinks It's rubbish'. I've told him to stick with it but not sure If he will! My Mother's the only person I know who's read the hole series.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a stockpile of Plume trades of The Gunslinger to infect people's minds with. Whenever I see these at used bookstores or yard sales I buy them no matter how many I have. They are to gift.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

ive snatched the gunslinger off my lil brother because he wasent reading it and lent it to lady at work who loves books

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_whoopass View Post
    I've tried to convert so many people! I've even brought the first 4 in a box-set for 2 friends and one of them still hasn't started reading them, where as the other did last week and is on the 90th page of 'The Gunslinger' but he 'thinks It's rubbish'. I've told him to stick with it but not sure If he will! My Mother's the only person I know who's read the hole series.
    he got further than my 2 friends and dad, who all happily took the book off me but none of them (so I believe) even started it,

One friend, even asked me what the DarK Tower was last week, after borrowing the book

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I have a stockpile of Plume trades of The Gunslinger to infect people's minds with. Whenever I see these at used bookstores or yard sales I buy them no matter how many I have. They are to gift.
    This is great. All I have extra lying around is a mass market copy of Wizard and Glass...which might not be a great starter. (now I'm curious though, what someone would think after attempting to read DT4 first!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast