Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Ever since I finished the final book in the Dark Tower series, I've been on a mission to convert as many of my friends and strangers as possible into fellow fans.

So far I've gotten 4 friends (including Chris, the manager on this site) into the series, several strangers I've met at work who were Stephen King fans, but not Dark Tower fans and I just recently got my 16 year old cousin to read The Gunslinger and he's hooked!

Who have you convinced to read the Dark Tower and what are your stories?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Just one person, one of my ex-classmates but he is deep in love with the series.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My friends' son (who is GORGEOUS, but alas only 20 ...) He hadn't read a book since leaving school. I lent him EotD, and once I'd hooked him that way I sent him directly to The Gunslinger...he just started DotT last week

I got my sister into DT around the release of Wolves...I just couldn't bear not having someone to obsess with

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

My nephew and my son. My son is only six and although he can't really read we listen to them on audio in the car. Whenever a bad word comes across he makes sure by asking me "Daddy was that a bad word"? Of course I answer yes
    But it amazes me that he actually listens to the story and follows it very well. He'll even ask me questions about it!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    My friends' son (who is GORGEOUS, but alas only 20 ...)

I bet..cradle robber. What else did you "hook" him on? Hmmmmmmm?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no idea what you're talking about!...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I push it on everyone of my kids and people at work.

I think only a few have really enjoyed it enough to go total fan crazy like I am.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Have any of your kids read them Matt?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Dawn got through the first couple I believe and then life stepped in with the baby and marriage. I feel like she will finish them one day. Kate is my next target.

They come by here and look around every now and then from what I hear, which is very cool.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got my sister to read the series. She is a fast reader (even faster than me!) and read the whole series in like five days I think. She is an absolute Harry Potter psycho and in her mind DT doesn't even come close to being as good a series. Don't get me wrong, she liked it but we won't see her joining the site or anything.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could convince more people to read it but when they hear it has 7 parts... *sigh*

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd get DBF to read it but he's such a nitpicky PITA about books sometimes that I would probably end up defending all the actions of the ka-tet to him.

I think I'll let him stick to sci-fi.

Besides, it's no fun to give your boyfriend a smackdown when he tries to tell you he can edit the wiki better than you can.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I wish I could convince more people to read it but when they hear it has 7 parts... *sigh*
    This is exactly the problem I have. Also, the dread question from folk I talk to about it.."So, whats it about?"...."uhhhh uhhh it's kind of about uhhhh"
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    This is exactly the problem I have. Also, the dread question from folk I talk to about it.."So, whats it about?"...."uhhhh uhhh it's kind of about uhhhh"
    Oh so familiar!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Oh so familiar!
    I've had this problem too. It's kind of hard to explain to someone how different elements such as gunslingers, light sabers glowing sticks, insane trains and 80 foot bears come together to make an excellent story.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a fantastic griping quest that involes things that creak pound crack race die live hot cold thirst starvation mountains and so on and so on and so on and so on

well that at least is what I tell people. But really, it makes me sad when they say "that sounds cool" and then never read it. My friend actaully owns the gunslinger and hasn't read it yet. It has now been well over two years now.

I've found that you can't force the love of the tower on anyone. they just have to discover it themselves.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I just had a user on another board I frequent go "SEVEN? SEVEN? Holy cow

We'll see. My mother is convinced I've lost it. LOL.

But, she IS happy I'm OCCUPIED.

You figure it out

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    My mother is convinced I've lost it. LOL.
    She's right. But "having it" isn't that great anyway...

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got a new idea for a thread.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've converted my boss. I'm trying to convert my mom right now. She's on book #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I've converted my boss. I'm trying to convert my mom right now. She's on book #3.
    Well if shes gone that far it sounds like you've already got a convert.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Good job.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I've converted two of my friends, my boss, and a bum of the street

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How did you convince the bum?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

wet willy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast