Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanowrimo

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

:coffee: Nanowrimo

Has anyone done this? Heard of this? I think the forums open in October.
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/
    Its not fanfiction, its an annual writing challenge where for the month of November only, you have to try and write a novel - anything you like, 50,000 words long. I think they pick winners and stuff and theres a chance to read people's finished entries. I'd not heard of it until early this year, but I think I might give it a go.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

I have heard of it, but I haven't ever entered. Good luck with it.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

our boy shannon used to be into this shiz. i always get excited to try it and then i don't ever write anything. sucks. i'd like to try again, though.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    i always get excited to try it and then i don't ever write anything.
    That could be me to the letter, but between now and then I'm pretending to get motivated

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

i'll work on it too.

i hate trying to find motivation.

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bad luck I only write on spanish, anyway my novel is 85.346 words until the moment...and it's only the first draft!
    At least that's what Micrisoft Word says...
    Maybe he could be cheating me.
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think blake is all over this

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That I am.

I've done it twice, and "won" both times. In fact, I posted my 2005 NaNoNovel as my annual Christmas story at my website. If anyone's interested...

Long November Part One
    Long November Part Two
    Long November Part Three

I originally was serializing the 2006 novel, The Book of Lisimba, but I never finished posting it, and now I realize that I'm going to go back and do a major revision of the whole thing, as the "novel" I wrote for NaNoWriMo is actually going to be the first part of a longer novel, probably with a different title.

I have every intention of participating again this year, incumbent upon me coming up with an idea.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I've done this for a couple of years. I never actually finished it though. I got close to 30,000 words each time. I really like the challenge though. I'm planning on doing it again this year.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! I'll read those when I get a moment...do you have any problems with plagiarism?

Hannah - was it a case of losing your flow, or not having enough time to get to 50,000 words?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PedroPáramo View Post
    Bad luck I only write on spanish, anyway my novel is 85.346 words until the moment...and it's only the first draft!
    At least that's what Micrisoft Word says...
    Maybe he could be cheating me.
    My first draft is at 116, 258. I'd like to do NaNoWriMo but it's very time consuming. 50,000 words is approximately 100 pages. I suppose if I'm done my current project I can participate in it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Cool! I'll read those when I get a moment...do you have any problems with plagiarism?
    Morally, yes.

But if you're asking if anyone has tried to plagarize my stuff, not to my knowledge. Between the copyrights on the page and the number of witnesses (including about half the people on this website) who could testify to when my stuff was posted, it'd be tough for anyone to get away with it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I meant people plagiarizing you.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

Hannah - was it a case of losing your flow, or not having enough time to get to 50,000 words?
    I'm lame, I just saw this.

It really was a case of it kind of puttering out around the end - like the last week or two. I'd go strong and then lose interest. I think part of my problem was not knowing where my story was going. I never planned anything out I just started writing and let the story take me and then it just ... stopped coming to me. Do you know what I mean?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally know what you mean - I'm the Queen of unfinished projects I once read that Douglas Adams had to literally be locked in his office in order for him to meet deadlines/finish manuscripts...hes my idol

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I never planned anything out I just started writing and let the story take me and then it just ... stopped coming to me. Do you know what I mean?

Happened to me. Wrote 60 pages, left it for nine months. Then I wrote 150 in three months and have wrote 3 pages in the last 1 1/2. I need the last bit to be very intense. Not sure how to do it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

There's always opium.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    There's always opium.
    I think Acid or Mushrooms would be much more apropos. Sleeping during my trip won't help me at all

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe acid, mushrooms, and a little heroin?
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::cough cough::

maybe a different thread could be more appropriate for this new unexpected turn the conversation is taking

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

maybe a different thread could be more appropriate for this new unexpected turn the conversation is taking

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication." - Friedrich Nietzsche

:laugh:
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've tried writing on coke like Stephen King, it isn't that great. I find I can write best with a nice joint and a couple of beers.

Fruno, are you trying to kill me? May as well ask me to speedball.

Country
    Country Flag

Got my idea.

Despite having a two night classes and a major portfolio project due in November, I'm giving it the ol' college try.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I'm on there too - I'm "Shadowself" if anyone wants to nanomail me

I have a vague idea of what I'm going to do. My character has been floating around in my head for years, along with a loose plotline. I don't want to brain storm on it too much yet, just to see if it all starts to flow once I get going in November.

I'm glad you bumped this thread Blake - I was meaning to post in here but kept forgetting. Just to say really, that if anyone is nano-ing we can always brain storm and ask advice etc in here...the nano board is still a little slow at times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast