Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nanowrimo

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember when I went on a writing kick, last spring. Wrote about 60,000 words in about two months. My right hand (I'm right handed) was broken and I type a majority of it with my left hand. Wasn't much I could do with a broken hand so I just wrote and wrote and wrote.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

My son is absolutely consumed by this every year!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

How's that working out for him, Jon?

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Anyone participating this year?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Not officially -- I've done it twice officially over the past few years. I'm just embarking on a new novel, but I expect some things to come along that will keep me from setting that kind of pace, so I didn't sign up and I'm not keeping tally.

It's a neat experience, though.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'm going to try to do it this year. If the other two years I participated are any example though, I usually only get half - two thirds of the 50,000 word goal.

I'm at 547 words right now!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I find it helps a lot if you have an outline. That way you know day by day where you're headed and don't spend a lot of time dithering over the plot. I don't write to an outline normally, but for NaNoWriMo I make an exception.

My Mood
    Amused

That's a good idea. I haven't tried it with an outline yet.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been getting nano emails, I might give it another bash...I did abysmally last year

My Mood
    Amused

If you do decide to do it - do you want to put your word count in your sig? I'll be doing the same and it's kind of a motivating factor.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a cool idea...is there somewhere you can generate one of those cool count-y banner type things?

My Mood
    Amused

Maybe at the nanowrimo site? I think they might have had one there ...

Here's the one I usually use

My Mood
    Amused

Bev do you have a link for the counter?

Code:
    http://picometer.writertopia.com/words=1000&target=72000

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

I'm actually competing this year... and I've been writing something that looks like William Faulkner on a crank binge. I'm up to 17,000 words... come on come on come ON!

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Traveler RolandStageDive is on a distinguished road RolandStageDive's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only won this competition once, but you can bet I'll keep trying every year. I look forward to seeing some of you folks there. I have good friends in the NaNo chat, who accept me back every year XP
    My first thought was
    He Lied in every word
    That hoary cripple
    With malicious eye
    Askance to watch the workings of his lie

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2010

Hey,

Just curious who here is going to be taking part this year (November?).

I just signed up for it (my first time!) and am excited! i have a decent story outline worked out (i think...) so hopefully i'll be able to complete it in the 30 days!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

hi aarawyn, i probabley will do this again I did it last year, but was not happy with the final draft or story line, so will probabley try again with a new story

Its hard work, i had to get hubbie behind me as i literally came home, ate, wrote and went to bed - but the sense of achievement was fantastic

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    hi aarawyn, i probabley will do this again I did it last year, but was not happy with the final draft or story line, so will probabley try again with a new story

Its hard work, i had to get hubbie behind me as i literally came home, ate, wrote and went to bed - but the sense of achievement was fantastic
    wow that's great! so you completed it? that's awesome! (even though you didn't think the story line wasn't great). if you don't mind me asking...what was your story about last year?

the good thing about it being in November is hubby is going to be away for a week and a bit so i'll get time to myself to write (and i'm also thinking of taking some vacation time too) but i will still have to walk the dog and stuff... (when hubby's away). i've worked out i'll only have to write about at least 1,700 a day if i write every day, so that doesn't seem TOO daunting!

Well, if you do do it this year we can support each other on here! (and if more people on here are going to take part this thread can be a support/ranting thread to help get us through!)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

it was about morals of time travel and whether it was right to change anything even bad things. It started ok but then couldnt decide if it was a sci fi, a spy book or a murder mystery.

its still there ready to be edited, but i need some motivation to get back to it

The way i looked at it, was i made myself do 5000 words saturday and sunday and then made the rest up in the week. There was a thread for last years and a few people got behind it. I shall see if i can hunt it down

Country
    Country Flag

that sounds like a really cool/interesting idea for a story! you should try and get back to editing it sounds like it has great potential!

i only work a 4 day week so I have 3 day weekends, which would be great for just sitting down and writing all day. However, i'm planning on taking an online course in the fall (sept to Dec) that requires assignments to be done with the use of a computer lab downtown tha has a special application required to do the assignments so i'd be spending probably one my weekend days down there working on the course work .

so it might be a bit more challenging with doing a course, and work but... i guess that's the fun of it?

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by arrawyn View Post
    Hey,

Just curious who here is going to be taking part this year (November?).

I just signed up for it (my first time!) and am excited! i have a decent story outline worked out (i think...) so hopefully i'll be able to complete it in the 30 days!
    I did something similar to this a year or so ago. I still have the calender.
    It was quite an experience, and a great way to write a novel. What helped me with it was a week or so before I started this, I went through my days as normal except I narrated everything I did and things that I observed. It helped me get in the mindset of writing a novel and guided me through parts of the novel where you needed to have filler material.

I wish you all the best luck. You will not regret it.
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Country
    Country Flag

Hi Jack,

Thanks for this advice! it does sound like a great way to get your brain working in novel-writing mode!

thanks for the good luck too

My Mood
    Amused

I've done it every year since 2006, so this'll be my fifth year doing it. I've never finished it. It seems like I always start out really strong and then peter off towards the last two weeks of the month. Every year I tell myself I'm going to finish it, and every year I don't. I have four half-finished novels laying around on my hard drive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast