+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we like being scared?

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that was a little harrowing Daghain but
    Spoiler:
    I thought it was very improbable that he wouldnt feel any pain from just a pack of ice being placed on his nuts, I mean - c'mon. There's numb and then there's numb.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, I wasn't all on board with it either, but
    Spoiler:
    the video had me wondering.

I still think the setup was brilliant, however. And like I said, Bob had to leave the room for like a 1/2 hour. The squick factor was too much for him. You know, you don't have to really
    Spoiler:
    castrate someone for it to scare the crap out of most men. LOL.

I think what did it for him was when she said,
    Spoiler:
    Oh look, they bounce!

Yep, he was done after that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

So she will tear the puppets apart if they get alive.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

heheh, yeah it was hard .. but i could watch that alot easier than movies like saw etc where normal people are being tortured in horrific situations for pure sensation.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    How about things that are disturbing but not necessarily "real" whatever that word means...like the movie "Naked Lunch"? Or "Fire Walk With Me"? Have you ever seen those?
    Not seen the second one - but I love Naked Lunch...it affected me, but I didn't find it overly disturbing more plain old bizarre than anything.
    I'm trying to think of another example - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original), fr'instance. Know what disturbed me the most in that film? The bit where they're trying to get their dried up old grandad to hit the girl on the head with a hammer...all the screaming and the fact that it was almost comical...freaky as fuck and not good. And I guess that too was more realistic - compared to like Freddie Kruger and stuff. I mean, that kinda thing grosses me out, but its not real or likely to be real.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

You should try and find "Fire Walk With Me" when you get a chance...it's the "Twin Peaks" movie (remember that series?) and is neck and neck with Naked Lunch as the oddest, most hard to understand, movie I've ever seen.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have her strictly for the return of the Clown.

She is the fourth in the line of "Matt Guardians"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

answering the title question

we like being scared (among other reasons) because it is entertaining. Reading so-called "real literature" or some genre literature (like romance) may, and often does, prove boring, but being scared - if we really are scared - never is.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay... here is another answer but maybe it's just a fantasy.

We like beings cared by books and moves because when we fear mosnters and non-existing seriel killers we needn't face (at that very moment) our real fears in our real life.
    For example when my mom put me on the street I went to the ciname late in the evening and I watched a horror movie however I hardly ever watch them because I wanted to turn off my mind...

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah adrenaline rush = sign me up!!!!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Fire Walk With Me is what you want to watch if you dont want to sit through the whole twin peaks series

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I always wanted one of those "I killed Laura" bumper stickers

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I always wanted one of those "I killed Laura" bumper stickers
    Awesome, I've never seen those.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Fire Walk With Me is what you want to watch if you dont want to sit through the whole twin peaks series
    Right, or if you like watching acid-trips.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't Eraserhead like that too? As for the bumper stickers...you could probably get them on ebay, but back when Twin Peaks was on tv first time round I used to see loads of them. As cheesily cool as the "I shot JR" ones

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    What's so damn good about it? Why is it good to scream to tremble or to cry out and jump up as we are watching a movie?
    We like watching horror movies about crazy killers but I am sure we wouldn't like to meet them face to face in real life.
    So?
    Haven't watched a movie yet that got to me, well except when I was a little kid. Wes Craven's New Nightmare at the age of seven was a good christening I think lol. For years I anxiously awaited each new horror release and am always disappointed in not being scary at all. I still love them but want a real horror movie.

I hope one day to get a hack at my own horror movie.

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

well damn im stumped, there's little im afraid of, and that "little" is currently something i really can't figure out. come to think of it, the closest ive ever come to being scared is jumping when something comes out of nowhere and nails somebody. but that kinda doesn't happen alot, too easy to predict, you know? i find my self shouting "Awww Fuck! i didn't want her to die!" often rather than jumping at the scene which was what the director intended.

so ummmm................ yea..............

i supose i'll just say my worst fear, maybe that'll give someone some ideas; deep dark water where you cant see the bottom. frickin makes me cringe thinking about it.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pet Semetary... I literally had chills running up and down my spine while reading that book.

In the movie..The scene where the little boy says first I played with mommie, then I played with Mr. Johnson, and now I'm gonna play with youuuuuu Daddy. Again, chills up and down my spine.

REDRUM, REDRUM, that was freaky...

There's a scene in Billy Bathgate where they put one of the character's feet in cement, and then push him over the edge of a boat into the ocean, with his hands tied behind his back. The though of drowning, without even a chance to fight really screwes with my head.

The scene in Alien where the cat jumps out instead of the Alien you were expecting.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I agree, I wasn't all on board with it either, but
    Spoiler:
    the video had me wondering.

I still think the setup was brilliant, however. And like I said, Bob had to leave the room for like a 1/2 hour. The squick factor was too much for him. You know, you don't have to really
    Spoiler:
    castrate someone for it to scare the crap out of most men. LOL.

I think what did it for him was when she said,
    Spoiler:
    Oh look, they bounce!

Yep, he was done after that.
    That's just WRONG!!!!!!
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I do not have much to fear (naturally) but I've experienced a few things
    that give me pause ...but when they can get you with the "jump out' man,
    its silly but thats what gets me.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

I fear falling the most.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Literally or metaphortically?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've experienced night terrors before resulting in concious hallucinations. I've had many horrible nightmares. Whenever other people tell me their nightmares or dreams they all see plain. Or maybe it's that I remember many aspects of my dreams. I can recall dreams I had when I was four or five. I suppose my dreams have always been a key aspect to my life.\

Viruses scare me, though. Or when I think about a nuclear explosion and think of the thousands or millions of lifes that suddenly end, relationships, drama, joy, happiness just gone in an instant. That is scary. Something akin to Captain Trips or a horrible version of the Avian flu. 28 Days Later is also freaky for this reason.

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Literally.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandragoran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Literally.
    And how long have you had this fear? (Now, I am not a psychologist.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast