Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we need fantasy worlds or movies and things stuff like that?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Why do we need fantasy worlds or movies and things stuff like that?

I am listening to you.
    The question has popped.

I think fanasy movies and books are on the top these days. 100 years ago they were nowhere.
    Why are they so popular now? What has happen to us?

Roland would have understood.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

One word.

Drugs.

They had some fantasy stuff going on 100 years ago but not much. All I can think of is Wizard of Oz and Alic in Wonderland at the moment. All the things that have gone down in the last 100 years (film, animation, the space program, the sexual and drug revolutions, comic books, video games). These things have sparked the imagination over years and years, and the kids that were obsessed with tv/radio/comics when they were young grew up to be the ones making these films and writing these books. We also have technology and special effects that can do most of these ideas justice now. So things are just catching up to our imaginations.

Also, as a people, I think we're moving away from a realistic, materialistic and solid world into one that promotes imagination, the soul, and dreams. A gentle shift in consciousness that favors a more mystical world over a physical one.

/talking out his ass

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my. Where to begin.

Imagine what life would be like with no imagination. How boring! Humans have a need, I think, for imagination and fantasy as a way to escape the everyday boring and normal.

I'm no expert on this, (and too lazy to do research, so I'm going to pull what I can remember out of the ol' noggin) but I think fantasy and storytelling has been around as long as humans have been able to tell tales. Grimm's Fairy Tales, IIRC, were written-down versions of stories told from generation to generation, as are many other tales we grew up with as children. I would imagine even the earliest people, once developing an even rudimentary form of communication, would quickly figure out a way to come back to the cave and relate the tales of their latest hunt, sparking the imagination of the next generation to want to go out and do the same.

Storytelling can be a form of teaching. Some stories have morals, some are educational, and some are just plain fun, which still teaches us how to relax and enjoy ourselves.

Also, as a people, I think we're moving away from a realistic, materialistic and solid world into one that promotes imagination, the soul, and dreams. A gentle shift in consciousness that favors a more mystical world over a physical one.
    I really, really hope you're right about that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

answering the topic title question: I don't.

I have enough fantasy worlds in my own head not to have to read about anyone else's. I do not like fantasy as a genre, but I like good literature and that's the only reason why I sometimes read fantasy, too. Unfortunately, most often the author is so absorbed in creating new world that he sacrifices anything else - the plausibility of the plot and the characters, style, dialog, whatever.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    answering the topic title question: I don't.

I have enough fantasy worlds in my own head not to have to read about anyone else's. I do not like fantasy as a genre, but I like good literature and that's the only reason why I sometimes read fantasy, too. Unfortunately, most often the author is so absorbed in creating new world that he sacrifices anything else - the plausibility of the plot and the characters, style, dialog, whatever.

Is HP not a fantasy book??

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

as I said, I like good literature. If it is well written, with characters I can relate to, good dialog, sense of humor, and overall logical plausibility, I don't care what genre it is in.

Country
    Country Flag

as I said, I like good literature. If it is well written, with characters I can relate to, good dialog, sense of humor, and overall logical plausibility, I don't care what genre it is in.
    I see Jean. But here are your two favourites. Harry Potter and the Dark Tower. Both of them are quite.. fantasy books. I am sure you have tons of other favourites too because you read so many books but don't you think that a part in your soul needs some fantasy?
    Anyway I am not a fantasy-junkie either but it has a nice room in my soul.

Country
    Country Flag

Nikolett: back to my first post in this thread. That part of my soul that needs fantasy doesn't need outside sources to get it.

Harry Potter and the Dark Tower are only two examples of hundreds books I would call my very favorites, and the only fantasies. The fantasy aspect of both is something that interested me least in both sagas, and sometimes bored the hell out of me.

Country
    Country Flag

I see I see.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I need fantasy worlds because the real one sucks so much.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I need fantasy worlds because the real one sucks so much.

That statement is probably the best factual answer to the question. If someone did a survey (not just here), you would probably find that most people bury themselves in fantasy/fiction/science-fiction for no other reason than it's better than their real life.

I have an additional answer; if you were to look at the history of the world, you would find that the catholic church has had a strong hold on the world. The last hundred years the catholic church's hold has faultered and more people feel confident about what they wish to write about, and people have been able to release their creativity. Don't forget, when the first Harry Potter book was released, there was a huge religious uproar against the book and author. And their are still bands on the book. I'm sure any kids attending a catholic shool are not allowed to bring any of the HP books to school. And if their parents are devote and ingorant, they probably are not allowing their kids to read HP. Weird at this time and age, but there is still the thing called CENSORSHIP.

Jean, sorry for throwing religion out there, but it's a true statement of what this world has censored.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Country
    Country Flag

it's ok.

I only hope that this will not grow into other attacks on Catholics, or I will feel obliged to list books our Protestant friends have censored and banned (I am actually not sure it's "Catholic" you meant - I am a Catholic myself, and follow the developments in my church, and haven't seen any persecution of Harry Potter yet; probably "devote and ignorant" was the key-word of your post, not "Catholic"), and our Atheist friends in Communist countries actually put people in prison for very recently. Which is definitely for a different thread.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

On the HP site I goto a couple of the kids there attending Catholic schools have said that the school refuses to allow HP books in the school library. Similarly though, children at evangelical schools have said the same things. I guess the crux of it is that some religious school heads feel uncomfortable about the mention of wizardry and magic in the books if they're the sorts who read their bibles too literally.

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. Can we all agree on that and move on?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Indeed!

For me I think that theres almost something else to having a personal fantasy world than it just being a diversion to real life. I mean, its so powerful, the art of storytelling - which in a way is just sharing your personal fantasy - is so powerful, that I can totally be convinced at times of other worlds/whens existing outside of our imaginations.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

OH ya, let's move on. Like I said to you before, I don't mean to start a religous war on this forum, but when you want to talk about why things all of a sudden start popping up, just go back to the Spanish Inquisition, which is a catholic thing. I do agree about the things not just being catholic, but a lot of other christian religions still look at the vatican to make choices for them.

Okay, I'm done now.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I do enjoy a bit of religious D&D - is there anywhere we can start some here...or would you rather we didn't go there?

My Mood
    Amused

Jean's probably right, if we really start arguing and stuff, peeps are gona get pissed at eachother.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Jean's probably right, if we really start arguing and stuff, peeps are gona get pissed at eachother.
    We can argue about everything, but not in all threads at once. For example, I am sure your knowledge of Inquisition is very far from historical truth, and it is not your fault, because really very few people actually study history, as opposed to mythology, which, alas, is how most people form their ideas of the events of the past, - but it would bring us way too far from Fantasy in literature. (I wish someone started something like "History vs. Mythology" thread, although it is really very difficult to separate one from the other).

My Mood
    Amused

I majored in History. to be more specific Anthopology, with a minor in religous studies. I am a confirmed Roman Catholic of Irish and Italian heritage.
    And yes, I base my facts on Mel Brooks - History of the World pt1!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain
    I majored in History. to be more specific Anthopology, with a minor in religous studies. I am a confirmed Roman Catholic of Irish and Italian heritage.
    Great! As I said, there may be a very productive discussion, - in a proper thread.

So, how about those fantasy worlds, movies and things?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Poor Jean. They really are making it hard to stay on-topic, aren't they?

Actually, I wonder if the latest popularity of movies based on fantasy novels (as an example, The Lord of the Rings) has increased the popularity of fantasy novels, or if it's the other way around?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    For example, I am sure your knowledge of Inquisition is very far from historical truth, and it is not your fault, because really very few people actually study history, as opposed to mythology,

I'm sorry, but this was an ill statement. I may put my opinion down about how I feel about the world in general, but I also don't go blasting individuals that I do not know. Unless it's towards CK, then it's just fun and games.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Actually, I do enjoy a bit of religious D&D - is there anywhere we can start some here
    We can argue about everything, but not in all threads at once.
    By here I meant on the forum, not in this thread

Country
    Country Flag

I think we need fantasy worlds to have a place to escape. That's all.
    It doesn't mean (for me) that life sucks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast