Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did imagine Susan before you met her?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How did imagine Susan before you met her?

We had known Roland and we had met Susan's name time to time before we met her finally.
    I didn't imagine her this perfect and I was sure she was younger than Roland but for my part I wasn't disappointed.

Roland would have understood.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

tell you the truth i never thought about her until she actually became a supporting character in book four.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In physical appearance she is pretty much how I imagined (but I might have gotten that from a brief description in The Gunslinger.) Personality-wise, almost the same, although I didn't really think about her that much. She certainly proved to be a bit feistier than I'd imagine in the book, mostly in her reaction to her Aunt's* provocation.

*Aunt Cordelia. Another very interesting character. She inspired mixed feelings in me, irritation, annoyance, yet I felt sorry for her too. I could empathize with her too. (Not that I'm anything like her.) That's another thread though.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I see. It was only me who had had a Susan in her head before I met her. Don't think I kept thinking about her... the picture just appeared in my mind.
    Anyway I gave her nice brown hair and not blond.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well if i remember correctly the Oracle showed Roland an image of Susan cause he interrupted right?
    Well I imagined her as about a 23 year old, that Roland somehow couldn't save, or maybe she was still alive. I thought that it would be this Susan that book VI referred to "Song of Susannah"
    Though I was wrong in that part...

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess you would imagine her as whatever the perfect woman in your eyes would look like. I imagined her completely different than the books description. I pictured her as pale brunette with shoulder length hair. Something like this:

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't give her a whole lot of thought before Wizard and Glass. I was curious about Roland's past while reading book 1 and 2 but not about anything specific really. I wanted to know more but didn't contemplate about Susan specifically.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    In physical appearance she is pretty much how I imagined (but I might have gotten that from a brief description in The Gunslinger.) Personality-wise, almost the same, although I didn't really think about her that much. She certainly proved to be a bit feistier than I'd imagine in the book, mostly in her reaction to her Aunt's* provocation.

*Aunt Cordelia. Another very interesting character. She inspired mixed feelings in me, irritation, annoyance, yet I felt sorry for her too. I could empathize with her too. (Not that I'm anything like her.) That's another thread though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Precisely what I was thinking.

I was pretty eager to get to Wizard and Glass ever since Roland mentioned her in The Gunslinger. I was really curious as to what kind of girl Roland would fall in love with.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I pictured her a lot less whiny.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

Haven't gotten too far in the series yet, but I always picture her as my ex-girlfriend, named Susan. Blue eyes and red hair.

I guess that means I see myself in Roland when I read it?

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I didn't find her to be whiny in the book. I actually liked the character of Susan a lot. She had her emotional moments, but wouldn't you if you had to get molested by a crusty ass old man?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

When I read Wizard and Glass for the first time I was 13 and I don't remember being particularly shocked when I finally read about Susan. Now, at 26, there seems to be a huge disparity between the original Gunslinger and the Susan Delgado of DT 4. I agree about the whining, and I think some of it is that the Gunslinger doesn't really prepare you for an adolescent adventure.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In the original Gunslinger, he seems to think about Alieen more than the "lovely girl in the window."
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=1612

I suppose if one had started the series with the Revised Gunslinger, you may have given Susan more thought. *shrugs*

She is totally whiny.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I pictured her blonde, natural and beautiful before WAG. Not very different. But I had thought that she would be a very deep character. Maybe a marginal personality...

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recall an old television show, The Virginian maybe, anyway, there was a girl on there with long blond hair, narrow waist, a poofy butt (something under the dress, I believe), Max-Factor eye makeup, (maybe it's Mabelline) but not overdone, like Tammy Fay, skin pure and white, a rancher's daughter, able to ride and rope with the boys, ample cleavage...or are those the memories that developed later, after I turned whatever age it is when boys no longer think all girls have cooties...anyway, I kinda imagined Susan like her...still do, to an extent.
    Last edited by Whitey Appleseed; 01-04-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo, cry her pardon

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I pictured Susan with an innocently beautiful face and honey-colored hair. I don't remember being disappointed or surprised when I got to know her in Wizard and Glass.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Traveler r7an is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    tell you the truth i never thought about her until she actually became a supporting character in book four.
    Same.

I must say she is probably one of King's most beautiful characters.

I never thought King could do a love story that well, I guess he will continue to surprise me as I still haven't finished this series.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was really curious to know more about Susan when Roland mentioned her. Especially during the first books when we didn’t know much about his background I was thinking what a girl would be like. In general I liked how SK described her both the appearance and character. However, I thought maybe she would be a bit deeper and play bigger role. Like it was said above maybe she’d be involved in book 6 (but that was about Susannah…)...but I still hope there be something about her in the last book (haven't finished it yet).

Traveler Dan-Tete is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I see. It was only me who had had a Susan in her head before I met her. Don't think I kept thinking about her... the picture just appeared in my mind.
    I imagined her with dark hair too, before I read it. Either brown or black, I can't quite remember, now I see her with blond lol.

Traveler Dan-Tete is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Macbeth View Post
    I didn't find her to be whiny in the book. I actually liked the character of Susan a lot. She had her emotional moments, but wouldn't you if you had to get molested by a crusty ass old man?
    Amen to that! I just keep wondering what would have happened had her aunt not agreed to Thorin...

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought she would be a lot older, someone who Roland knew as an adult in a town he passed through but someone who he had to leave. I thought she would have brown hair for some reason but I didnt epect her story to be told. I didint expect it was an adolescent relationship but since that is what happended I guess it would have more resonance as a first love relaionship rather than something later on in life.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The image I had in my mind was a faceless blond woman/girl standing in a distant window...and for some reason she was wearing a light blue dress. Not sure why...

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by r7an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Same.
    Me too.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Tete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Macbeth View Post
    Amen to that! I just keep wondering what would have happened had her aunt not agreed to Thorin...
    Actually, having been sexually molested by a crusty old man, a slimy young man, a skuzzy young man, and a developmentally disabled young man (at different points in my life and starting at age 11), I'm pretty certain I know what she must have felt on that score. However, I am referring to her whining about Roland.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Along the Path of the Beam Susan Delgado is on a distinguished road Susan Delgado's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MacReady View Post
    haha i kinda see where you come from. having read dt4 first i cannot really post in merit but remembering back i wouldnt have minded if she was a bit more human and a bit less Mary-Sue. but then again this is not a 'what i hate about Susan thread'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast