Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How Do You Rank Duma Key Overall?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • I loved it - 5

41 43.62%
  • It was good - 4

17 18.09%
  • Average - 3

2 2.13%
  • Only so-so - 2

1 1.06%
  • I didnt like it - 1

3 3.19%
  • Never Read

30 31.91%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Duma Key--Bracket 12 Winner!!

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let me tell ya somethin', brother!

Whatcha gonna do when Perse runs wild on you, dude!?

I can change your vote, obscurejude, if you are absolutely sure that you want me to. Just let me know.

I didn't find Wireman's lingo to be overdone at all. I saw it as part of the language that develops amongst friends, and that often is used ad nauseum. Remember that Edgar began doing it himself, and did it throughout his narration of the story as well. So rather than being annoying, it illustrated to me the depth of their relationship as friends. Wireman never really used it when he spoke to Miss Eastlake--at least not in the interactions that were detailed in the narrative--so one would assume that it was part of his way of breaking the ice with Edgar initially (he didnt really have any other friends to use it with) and it just developed from there into something that was special for them both, I think. Close friends have their own language the same way that long-married couples do. Really it is no different from the language of Lisey's Story in practice, but it comes across different with close friends than it does for spouses/lovers, because finding the love of a good friend--the best of friends--is rarer than finding romantic love.
    Heng Dai

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So true honey monkey

^ friends talk.

Seriously though, I totally agree with the above comment.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler Drumblebum is on a distinguished road

I'm still trying to get my teeth into this one... I'm not making the effort to put the time in I guess. I'm glad to see that so many really liked it - I likely will just start over from the beginning and go for it.

Damn I'm glad I found this board!

Hey y'all...

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked this book but I found it hard to get into at first but the more you read, it draws you in so i gave this one a 4

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    I really liked this book but I found it hard to get into at first but the more you read, it draws you in so i gave this one a 4
    Most (long) King books are like that. I personally enjoy the slow build-up, especially if it's done right, like in Insomnia.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Drumblebum View Post
    I'm still trying to get my teeth into this one... I'm not making the effort to put the time in I guess. I'm glad to see that so many really liked it - I likely will just start over from the beginning and go for it.

Damn I'm glad I found this board!

Hey y'all...
    We're glad you found us too man, welcome
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I literally JUST finished this book and had to give it a 5. I'd give it a 10 if I could - I really loved it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

woulda been a 4 for me if I had voted in time

Traveler lgkurt is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It was good but not excellant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3