Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Band Names - What Makes a Good One?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Default Band Names - What Makes a Good One?

I've been having an interesting conversation with turtlex about band names and what makes for good ones. I have to admit that it's a bit of an obsession of mine. A lot of it stems from one of my two as yet unfinished screenplays which focuses on the formation of a band (well, that's not the plot, but it's central to it). That fictitious band has had dozens of names.

As for actual music, obviously the music itself is more important to me than the name of the band, but that is not to discount names entirely.

I like names that are somewhat clever like Japancakes or The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

I like names that are just plain attention-getting like The Bambi Molesters.

I like names that indicate a love of another band I like - like Radiohead naming themselves after a Talking Heads' song, or Zony Mash naming themselves after a Meters' song.

So, what band names stand out to you?
    What makes a good band name?
    Do you care what a band's name is at all?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

"I Say I Here, It Comes Out There" - Albert Brooks / Broadcast News

I love this topic !

What band names stand out? Well, we were just talking about a band named Knots and Crosses. I have always, and will always, think this is just a real cool sounding name for a band.

I also like something clever and witty. Eek-A-Mouse, for instance.

I like something that shows a little of the flavor of the band. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. You can tell by the name that they're a fun band. At least I could. That's how I got into them. Just bought a CD based on the name.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, comes to mind, as well. Very cool name.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    "I Say I Here, It Comes Out There" - Albert Brooks / Broadcast News
    You have no idea how often I use that quote. Or maybe you do. We seem to share a brain sometimes.

A couple more that I enjoy...

Garage a Trois
    Crack Sabbath

My Mood
    Gay

I quote Broadcast News on a daily basis. Especially Albert Brooks. "Alot of alliteration from anxious anchors placed in power posts!"

Oh, and band names.... On ROCK BAND 2 - My band is called "Gunslingers of Gilead".

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I thought Dashboard Confessional was a great name. Chris Carraba originally thought of the band as just a side project in which he'd basically be writing songs taken from his diary. The name comes from a song that has the line, "This car hears my confessions." The Swiss Army Romance album remains one of the most genuine and honest things I've ever heard and came out long before emo became a parody of itself.

In this case, Dashboard Confessional sort of sums up the intent of the band and its a term I'd never heard before while also remaining imagistic.

I've been up for almost two days so someone feel free to check any of my subject/verb agreements this morning. I'm really having trouble with them.

Good one Ryan. I can say that while the music doesn't appeal to me at all, I always thought it was a good name, and definitely evokes a mental image.

I agree that names that attempt to exemplify something of the intent of the band can work quite well. I often come up with names for specific potential projects (most of which will probably never come to pass). For example, I had an idea to combine my love of John Zorn's Masada type new jewish music with some of the horn-heavy funk of The Budos Band (which always reminds me of music from Kung-Fu movies) into something called Jew-Jitsu. Actually, that was the second name I came up with, but I decided Jewicide Bombers was pushing it a little far even for me who doesn't believe comedy has a "too far".

"Gunslingers of Gilead" eh? Wherever did that one come from?

My Mood
    Gay

Dashboard Confessional - I like that. Sorry, my limited odd music tastes mean I'd never heard of them. ( and usually spend some time every day looking up bands / music I see Jayson post about )

Dashboard Confessional makes me think they'd be a great band to listen to on a road trip.

Gunslingers of Gilead....hmmmm, not sure.. Just came to me!

Dude, Jew Jitsu is tight.

Remember when I pitched Demons of the Prim?

I do like thematic names. The first band I was in while in high school was called The Rainy Day Poets because we got together in the fall when it was raining heavily and wrote a lot of bad poetry that ended up becoming bad songs.

In another life, I played in a praise band for church called Hefty Helpings. We were at a fellowship banquet and someone remarked: "that's some hefty helpings you got there." It stuck and I supposed that playing worship music was giving hefty helpings of God in a meta way. Sue me, I was 16.

Now, since I'm playing by myself and writing everything and playing all the instruments I think I'm just going to use my name. That could change, though, if I ever happen across an image that sort of sums up what I'm trying to do with my music.

Turtlex, Dashboard Confessional is basically Chris Carraba and its folk/ emo/ acoustic/ indy stuff. A lot of people don't particularly like the sound of his voice, but the lyrics are very impressive from a poetic point of view. He's a hell of writer in my opinion. I'm sure you could find some stuff on youtube without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I do like thematic names. The first band I was in while in high school was called The Rainy Day Poets because we got together in the fall when it was raining heavily and wrote a lot of bad poetry that ended up becoming bad songs.
    Reminds me of the original name of Radiohead which was On a Friday because Fridays were the only day they could all get together to rehearse and write.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Now, since I'm playing by myself and writing everything and playing all the instruments I think I'm just going to use my name. That could change, though, if I ever happen across an image that sort of sums up what I'm trying to do with my music.
    Individual names work well sometimes. There's certainly an honesty to it.

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, please, use your name, but don't call yours MY NAME BAND. I hate that. The Dave Matthews Band.... Please... it's Dave Matthews.

Actually, you should call yourself "obscurejude" - thats kinda a kick band name. But make sure you keep it lowercase... you know, edgy.

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Puscifer for a band name.

Plus they are a cool band too, maynard from Tool cant do any wrong lol
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    I like Puscifer for a band name.

Plus they are a cool band too, maynard from Tool cant do any wrong lol

Plus they showed up on Mr. Show With Bob and David in one of the Ronnie Dobbs bits, so they've got that going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex
    Okay, please, use your name, but don't call yours MY NAME BAND. I hate that.
    Exactly. I said it in Now Playing when we started this conversation but it bears repeating... Naming a band The Somebody's Name Band only works in a jazz setting. Otherwise it seems pretentious.

Now that I think about it, I kinda like the sound of "The Somebody's Name Band."

My Mood
    Gay

Oh.My.We totally should start a band called :"The Somebody's Name Band"

.. like in The Commitments... it's a "The" band.

Or maybe just "The Somebodys"

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've always liked the simple names that stand for much more. Like: Oasis or Self
    *shrugs

It works for me as "The Somebody's Name Band" because it sounds cool and it makes a satirical statement about other band names. "The Somebody's" doesn't quite do it for me.

My Mood
    Gay

I always thought Jack Black's line from High Fidelity was great "Kathleen Turner Overdrive".

Okay, so now we've formed a band called "The Somebody's Name Band". I can play RockBand Guitar or I can hum. Those are my musical talents. I could also bang a pot with a spoon, but I'd need practice time.

I could also bang a pot with a spoon, but I'd need practice time.
    Well as a fan of Tom Waits I am not opposed to non-traditional percussion instruments.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The trend for bands currently revolve around the words SEA, DEER, CRYSTAL, and WOLF.

Sea Wolf, Wolf Eyes, Wolf Parade, Deerhunter, Deerhoof, Crystal Castles, Crystal Stilts, Crystal Antlers, AIDS Wolf, etc. So maybe a band called Crystal Sea Deerwolf would be Pitchfork's ultimate boner and make the site explode with pure awesomeness. Or call the band Crystal Shit after the band in the song Bitchin' Camaro.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Or call the band Crystal Shit after the band in the song Bitchin' Camaro.
    Crystal Shit is what we used to call the Doors' song "Crystal Ship" when I was in high school. God how I hated that song.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Good name for a band: Tubular Luggage

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Or call the band Crystal Shit after the band in the song Bitchin' Camaro.
    Crystal Shit is what we used to call the Doors' song "Crystal Ship" when I was in high school. God how I hated that song.
    So did Dead Milkmen. Crystal Shit is a Doors cover band.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Didn't Manzarek and Kreiger become a Doors cover band a few years ago? At least Densmore had the good sense to stay out of that project.

Okay, please, use your name, but don't call yours MY NAME BAND. I hate that. The Dave Matthews Band.... Please... it's Dave Matthews.

Actually, you should call yourself "obscurejude" - thats kinda a kick band name. But make sure you keep it lowercase... you know, edgy.
    I promise not to use "band" after my name. "obscurejude" sounds pretentious to me because few know the name comes from a Thomas Hardy book. I often regret picking it as my handle on this site. I'll probably stick to my real name, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast