Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Band Names - What Makes a Good One?

Along the Path of the Beam Tank is on a distinguished road Tank's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I named my old band Push Off from the term Marion used for getting high in Requiem For A Dream. Other bands I've been in were Pavlov's Dogs named after the drummers dog and Perforated Prophylactic which was an old school punk cover band.

I've always liked the band name Me First and the Gimme Gimmes for some reason.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I do too, though their name is more creative than their music. Don't get me wrong, I like what they do, but after a few songs the novelty wears off and then I tend to refer to them as the Gimmick Gimmicks.

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My uncles band was called "The Muppet Magnets" from the sheer amount of weird people the drew lol. There a beatles style band that play in the Cavern weekly.

My music "project", just me and a friend making Trans/Industrial music, was called Narcissus - not very smart i know, but it suited the membership lol
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Okay, please, use your name, but don't call yours MY NAME BAND. I hate that. The Dave Matthews Band.... Please... it's Dave Matthews.

Actually, you should call yourself "obscurejude" - thats kinda a kick band name. But make sure you keep it lowercase... you know, edgy.
    I promise not to use "band" after my name. "obscurejude" sounds pretentious to me because few know the name comes from a Thomas Hardy book. I often regret picking it as my handle on this site. I'll probably stick to my real name, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Actually, I like the literary reference, though. It's not pretentious. It's an inside nod to those who have read Hardy.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Okay, please, use your name, but don't call yours MY NAME BAND. I hate that. The Dave Matthews Band.... Please... it's Dave Matthews.
    I don't mind it at all. Although I probably am a bit biased considering they're my favorite band, or maybe I'm just used to it and can't imagine them as anything else. It's just something they got stuck with, and trust me, it's better than what they came up.

I much prefer simpler names, and nothing really crazy. But to be honest the name doesn't even matter to me, as long as the music is good I'll listen to them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

For the most part, I enjoy the simple names as well...Tool, Nirvana, Oasis, Thrice...but every now and then a random one will stick out that I enjoy, like A Global Threat, Portishead, Cinephile, and Bring Me The Horizon...but like most others, it's really the music that decides everything for me.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had a band name for years, just never a band

It'd be called "Lazybones And The Idle Wankers", which we'd just shorten to "Lazy" for tv and radio

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    It'd be called "Lazybones And The Idle Wankers"
    I wonder if people would be able to guess it was a British band.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hmmmm... I was just thinking that "darkthoughts" would be a cool band name. Goth band.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool, that would work quite well!

I'm disappointed if a band has a cool name, but doesn't live up to it. Do Me Bad Things is a cool name, but they're fairly mediocre. I also thought Polyphonic Spree was an ace name.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I do too, though their name is more creative than their music. Don't get me wrong, I like what they do, but after a few songs the novelty wears off and then I tend to refer to them as the Gimmick Gimmicks.
    I don't think I've ever heard their music. I just remember reading the name somewhere and getting a chuckle out of it.

I don't think I've ever heard their music. I just remember reading the name somewhere and getting a chuckle out of it.
    Interesting. They are a pop-punk band that exclusively performs covers of other people's songs. They are actually double-covers as most of their songs musical arrangements are actually classic punk songs and then they cover the lyrics of an older song. For instance, they cover "You've Got a Friend" and basically set it to the music of "Blitzkrieg Bop". Some of their covers are pretty good and they work best using them here and there in a mixed playlist. If you listen to too many of MF&TGG songs in a row it gets pretty old pretty fast.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Noise often finds interesting names.
    C.C.C.C, Merzbow (a reference to architecture), Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, etc. They all have something to do with either a harsh consonant sound or creation of some grotesque imagery.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Very good point Fruno.

I also like the naming of Sunn O))) after the Sunn brand of amplifier and it's logo...

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. They are a pop-punk band that exclusively performs covers of other people's songs. They are actually double-covers as most of their songs musical arrangements are actually classic punk songs and then they cover the lyrics of an older song. For instance, they cover "You've Got a Friend" and basically set it to the music of "Blitzkrieg Bop". Some of their covers are pretty good and they work best using them here and there in a mixed playlist. If you listen to too many of MF&TGG songs in a row it gets pretty old pretty fast.
    I think I just opened Pandora's Box. After reading your post I checked them out on Youtube and my wife loves them. I'm seeing a Me First show in my future.

It could be entertaining. I know when I first started to listen to them it was fun to pick out all of the riffs and chord progressions from all the classic punk songs. Like I said, they're not bad, they're just a novelty act. Seeing them once is probably fun.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure a few pints will help me have a good time.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very good point Fruno.

I also like the naming of Sunn O))) after the Sunn brand of amplifier and it's logo...

The only thing I don't like about Sunn O))) (and I'm a huge fan) is that they insist that you pronounce it "Sun." It gets old having to correct people as a fan to not say "Sun Oh."
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    The only thing I don't like about Sunn O))) (and I'm a huge fan) is that they insist that you pronounce it "Sun." It gets old having to correct people as a fan to not say "Sun Oh."
    I'm sure that could get rather annoying in a hurry.

Not the same thing, but probably similar to what I go through when I talk about The Heartbreakers and inevitably have to say "No, not Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Heartbreakers as in Richard Hell, Jerry Nolan and Johnny Thunders." Then I usually have to tell them that "no, they did not steal the name from Tom Petty, in fact they predate them by at least a year or two."

Country
    Country Flag

There is a band in the UK that are called "; )" yes there name is a smilie face lol

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Jimmy Eat World is a pretty cool name in my opinion. I also like their music, but I've got to be in the mood for it. Every album has a few mediocre tracks, but never bad ones, and always a few exceptional ones.

Is that what they are called when you speak their name "Smiley Face"? Very interesting. A kind of odd choice if you ask me, but I suppose it may speak to those for whom txt-speak is the primary language - I refer to them as Generation Text.

Country
    Country Flag

No there actual name is what the items are, so semi-colon(or whatever ; is) close bracket. Not as good imho.

I kinda like Semi-Colon Closed Bracket better than I do Smiley Face (or Winking Smiley Face). I don't really like either, but I prefer the former.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast