Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Books VS. Movies

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Books VS. Movies

Usually when I read a book I can't stand the move which was made from it. I think it's damn hard to make a really good movie from an incredibly good book.
    But if I watch a movie which was made from a book and I like it.. when I read its book I often feel.. I don't really know.. I often feel confused but still I usually prefer the book.

And it happens that I like the movie better but it's rare. For example I loved Narnia but I liked the film more somehow.

What about you? Which do you prefer?

Roland would have understood.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I agree, in general. For instance, I understand why the movies are different than the book, but sometimes I think the director themselves might miss the point. I think there's tons of things that should have been different about the Harry Potter films. I think that they focused on some of the wrong issues and left out valuable information for the entire plot. But, I will say that I thought Peter Jackson did a beautiful job with Lord of the Rings. If someone was not a book reader, they would get Tolkien's vision thru the movies.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, its pretty much up to the screenplay adaption writers and director as to whether the film will do the book justice or not... but i think films have to be judged seperately from the books as someone's different interpretation or vision of a story can still be very good, even if its not exactly true to the book.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

That's what my arguments with Dune fans are. The book Awesome, the movie and mini-series are alright, but you have to look at the interpretation.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with Letti on this one. I'm picky about this stuff anyway, and when the movie deviates too far from the book, it ticks me right off. I do think the Harry Potter films are some of the better ones I've seen when it comes to following the general story, but probably 75% of the movies they've made from King's books are not "accurate" enough for my tastes.

And it really, really ticks me off when a character is described in the book as a blond, and they hire a brunette actor. Come on, you couldn't find a blond actor in Hollywood? Seriously. If you're not even going to try to be accurate, don't try at all.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    And it really, really ticks me off when a character is described in the book as a blond, and they hire a brunette actor. Come on, you couldn't find a blond actor in Hollywood? Seriously. If you're not even going to try to be accurate, don't try at all.
    I agree with this part Daghain. Well said!
    The absolute least a director can do is to hire people that resemble their descriptions in the book.

My Mood
    Amused

I'm with Letti on this one. I'm picky about this stuff anyway, and when the movie deviates too far from the book, it ticks me right off. I do think the Harry Potter films are some of the better ones I've seen when it comes to following the general story, but probably 75% of the movies they've made from King's books are not "accurate" enough for my tastes.

Please!! The Harry Potter movies are missing so much of the main point it's unbelievable! I mean, come one, they centralize on Harry, but they don't even dive into "why". I have had alot of friends ask me "what the f'n is going on?" after watching the HP movies and not reading the book.

I do agree with the second part, only if it really matters. Blond, Brunnette, red head. There aim is on the personality.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I know they cut a LOT from HP, but it's still possible to follow the storyline, IMHO. Some movies based on books I've seen appear to only have used the title and the names of the characters they're so far off.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Amused

By gan...I know what you mean, I'm trying to think of a really good example.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Lawnmower Man?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

in What Are You Currently Reading there's been talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which reminded me - that's one of the (very few indeed) movies that I personally find much better than the books they were made after.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    in What Are You Currently Reading there's been talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which reminded me - that's one of the (very few indeed) movies that I personally find much better than the books they were made after.
    Wow, really Jean? I'm about half-way through the book right now, it is good. I will have to watch the movie again afterwards. I do remember liking it though. Interesting.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Lawnmower Man?
    Ya, that's one of em. and the funny thing is, aren't some the King movies like that to.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that is a King movie. Based on a very short story. It was the first one that sprang to mind because I have King on the brain.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well, that is a King movie. Based on a very short story. It was the first one that sprang to mind because I have King on the brain.
    I know. what I ment is, aren't there other King movies like that?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think most were very good adaptations. I would consider The Running Man a complete failure.

I saw the movie before I read the story and the movie was nothing like it.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure everyone is going to pick on me for this (because I'm going against everyone), but honestly I usually don't care how much they deviate from the book, just as long as it has the same theme and the movie is good. The reason being, the movies are never like the book, and I don't treat them, that way. If I want the book, then I'll read the book.

An example of my personal thoughts on the subject is The Talisman is now going to be a mini-series. That's enough for me, I know Spielberg is the executive producer, and it will be long enough to explain the story. If it sucks, oh well, or if they remove a scene from the book, oh well. The real point to me is at least it's getting made. That's the important thing for me, not if they stay true to the book, I just want to see a movie adaptation. (everyone feel free to berate me, lol). Now if were are talking about the Lawnmower Man then I strongly say stay true to the book!

As you can see I'm pretty easy to please

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I'm sure everyone is going to pick on me for this (because I'm going against everyone), but honestly I usually don't care how much they deviate from the book, just as long as it has the same theme and the movie is good. The reason being, the movies are never like the book, and I don't treat them, that way. If I want the book, then I'll read the book.
    No, not against everyone. I think exactly the same. For example, the only passable Dickens adaptation was Oliver!, - a musical, which had hardly anything in common with text, but captured the very spirit; likewise, Fagin there was a very, very Dickensian character although he was nothing like in the book. All adaptations that tried to be true to the text were just boring, because you can't put some writers to the screen verbatim, or you'll lose everything. Precisely because movies and books are so very different.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I LOVE that musical! I saw it when I was younger and didn't read Dickens until much later, but for some reason I don't equate musicals with the books they're based on. I have no idea why.

But yeah, that movie was great!

Country
    Country Flag

oh Irish Dawn , you've made my day!

On the general subject of movies and musicals, though, I often thought the opposite way, - that musicals may be the only way to render a really good book into the language of cinema. For example, I can see a TDT musical very well in my mind... or Gone With The Wind musical, if that silly goose Mitchell hadn't explicitly forbidden to make one. Look at Jesus Christ Superstar, and then at all those dull and drab movies made by evangelists!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if I could handle a TDT musical. There's something about a singing Roland that just seems too weird.

GWTW, however....that would have been interesting.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

An example of my personal thoughts on the subject is The Talisman is now going to be a mini-series. That's enough for me, I know Spielberg is the executive producer, and it will be long enough to explain the story. If it sucks, oh well, or if they remove a scene from the book, oh well. The real point to me is at least it's getting made. That's the important thing for me, not if they stay true to the book, I just want to see a movie adaptation. (everyone feel free to berate me, lol). Now if were are talking about the Lawnmower Man then I strongly say stay true to the book!

As you can see I'm pretty easy to please
    I generally agree. I just hate when they really mess it up.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't put too much stock in it but it does kind of irritate me when they blatantly lose the story thread.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if I could handle a TDT musical. There's something about a singing Roland that just seems too weird.

And dancing with an umbrella in his hand? Does it sound better?

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL nope, don't think so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast