Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Movies Based On Books

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry Razz, I want to talk about it but I'm not sure what you are saying. You mean that they mentioned it in the movie, but kind of forgot about it after Grant and the kids saw the eggs? Or do you mean something else?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

yeah that's exactly what i mean. They set it up, like it's important in the movie, then they never mention it again. I think they were gonna pursue it, btu didn't have the budget, so they added the corny "saved by the Big-Badass T-Rex" bit instead

Yeah, that was a bit jarring. Do you think it was explained better in the later movies when the animals were clearly breeding elsewhere?

I think one of the reasons it was more important in the book was the chaos theory philosophy and Malcom's insistence that life finds a way. To try to harness that kind of power is absurd and in the book Hammond was presented as a madman. In the movie, they toned his character down quite a bit and so I wonder if that's why it was only a peripheral development in the movie? Does that make sense?

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Something else I recall they left out of the movie: In the book when the cars had stopped near the Rex enclosure, I think either the kids or Grant noticed some velociraptors sneaking onto one of the mainland-bound boats.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

yup. they left that out of the movie as well. the urgency to return in the book was to stop the boat before it reached mainland.

They left the whole epilogue out of the movie as well as the junior T Rex, the river chase, and a ton of other things. It was still a good movie though and caught the tone of the book very well. I can understand how switching the ages of Lex and Tim and the characters of Genarro and Muldanno for cinematic purposes.

Visually, the island just looked amazing.

I'm still waiting for news of JP IV, which is supposedly in production as we speak. I'm sure our good man's death will delay it a while, as it should, but it better be a good fucking film. or people will be hurt. badly.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I'm still waiting for news of JP IV, which is supposedly in production as we speak. I'm sure our good man's death will delay it a while, as it should, but it better be a good fucking film. or people will be hurt. badly.
    Don't hold your breath amigo. I just read an article last week saying that Universal has no plans for a JP IV anytime in the near future. As a matter of fact, the producer for the first three films, Kathleen Kennedy, believes that a fourth installment might never see the light of day due to the death of Crichton.

I'll PM you the link as soon as I find it.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Watchmen's about to be on my shit list of worst adaption ever, right up there with The Firm.
    Spoiler:
    The squid thing, right?
    Not just that, but what they've apparently put in the place of it.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by glm View Post

Hannibal - Hannibal - Thomas Harris
    Now THERE'S a total 180 from the ending of the book, right up there with the aforementioned The Firm. The change was SO drastic that if Harris ever writes a sequel, they'll have to retroactively change the ending of the Hannibal movie and make that revised ending the first scene of the new film in order for ANYTHING to make sense to someone who has never read the books. Are you confused? The rest of the audience will be, too.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

An interesting topic, though a full list would be about impossible. Many, many films have their origins in literature, whether people realize it or not. (Right now, I'm trying to find a copy of Gone to Texas by Forrest Carter, which I noticed was the basis for The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976, Clint Eastwood) upon recently re-watching it.)

Not long ago, I saw The Cider House Rules (1999, Lasse Hallström) and found it to be a rare example of the Hollywood ideal: adapting the novel to the medium really refined the story greatly, IMO. Getting the original author for the screenplay like they did is a big help; moviemakers would like to believe that books are often improved upon in this way, but, usually, the film versions fall short.

My favorite example may be the classic movie The Good Earth (1937, Sidney Franklin) from the even better novel of the same title by Pearl Buck. The different endings graphically show an over-emphasis on a good, though secondary, theme of the novel at the cost of its real main message.

Original films can be truly wonderful, and demonstrate the younger art-form's unique powers. Alan Dean Foster, who's written many "novelizations" of popular films, once joked that "If you make a book into a movie, they call you a genius. If you make a movie into a book, they call you an idiot."

Anyway, all of this makes fantastic food for thought.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

hey, let's update this list!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The firm, funny thing, i actually like the ending to the film better than the book. which i don't always say. i dunno if this one has been mentioned but the perfect film and the perfect book of "To Kill a Mockingbird' where both are pure masterpieces in itself.

also 'The Godfather' the film i liked better than the book. for me i thought the book wasn't very good actually. and yes i did see the film 1st. but the book wasn't terrible. i just liked the film better. there are some films i can say that about actually. like Carrie i love the original film. it's another perfect film. yet the book is a piece of shit. i thought it was an awful book but many love it and to each their own.

though i am grateful for it cause it gave SK a career. and i have many wonderful childhood memories of SK films and tv show etc.. because he got that published and it was such a hit. so am grateful he wrote it. i just didn't like the book that's all.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    hey, let's update this list!
    Where do you want to start? This book has over 2,800 titles (Just paperbacks)

This one around 700

OF COURSE THEY HAVE BOTH MOVIES BASED ON BOOKS & BOOKS BASED ON MOVIES.

JUST A SMALL PART OF MY SCI-FI,HORROR FANTASY PAPERBACK COLLECTION. PART OF K & L.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    ... BOTH MOVIES BASED ON BOOKS & BOOKS BASED ON MOVIES
    = EVERY MOVIE EVER.

Well, maybe not quite. But if there are any movies with no books, that would probably be the shortest list.
    We could try to track them all down, but I bet that before we got many, somebody would see it and create another one to sell.

welcome to the world of collecting.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Oh wow, I love this image. That's a creepy ass looking cover.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed, Fernando. I especially love how the eyes of everyone stick out. Very effective, imo.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

BOOK TO FILM

FILM TO BOOK

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like The Thing was already on the list; just added Village of the Damned.

The Who Goes There? I posted was for the 1951 film The Thing from Another World.
    there is also The Thing aka John Carpenter's The Thing 1982 & The Thing 2011 also based on Who Goes There?
    Spoiler:

How about Thorne Smith novels?
    TOPPER 1937
    Spoiler:

TOPPER TAKES A TRIP 1938
    Spoiler:

TURNABOUT 1940
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread