Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    My problem with finding a nice bookcase is that the one's I find, shipping or freight only deliver to the front door... and I live up three flights of stairs at an apartment. The delivery stops at the front door of the aparment building - not at my apartment! So, I can never find exactly what I want and get it in my place.

I understand having to pay extra for something nice that is going to last, but there's no way I could get it up all those stairs, so literally, I can't get the bookcases I would like to.

Right now, I just have basic bookcases that I got at Staples - they deliver to the door. Yeah, they're the simple one's that you have to assemble yourself, but they do the job.

I am bookmarking some cool ones that oy-the-brave linked up above, because one day, I am going to have the library of my dreams...
    In looking at the link for the Hale barrister ones, delivery's free (to the street/door), but for an additional cost they WILL deliver in-house and unbox, etc. No clue what the price is, but it might be worth a phone call or email! I'm actually thinking about those myself - it's time for a change here!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob-

We caught a glipse of your set-up downstairs in your house in the Collectors magazine (I may have the name wrong), but I think we would all love for you to post pictures of the different walls in your Collections room, bookcases and artwork. That would be a rather nice holiday gift for us all.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    These are cheap ones from Ikea. you assemble yourself, but the price was nice.

Link

Jerome-

That is just a beautiful set-up and display. I wish mine was as attractive. My cases are simply functional and have closed lockable doors. They are not at all beautiful.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So it seems there are two similar Ikea cases:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49831464
    and
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89847632

But the second one doesn't have any dimensions.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The first link is the one (actually I have 3 side by side) I have, in a Birch Veneer.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like it's taller than the second Ikea bookcase, but by how much?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Bob-

We caught a glipse of your set-up downstairs in your house in the Collectors magazine (I may have the name wrong), but I think we would all love for you to post pictures of the different walls in your Collections room, bookcases and artwork. That would be a rather nice holiday gift for us all.
    I'll start working on it. I'm not the best photographer but perhaps with some trial and error......

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yipee!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a cool present!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

RF, your display looks great! But I'd still prefer the kind that lock.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I have been buying the Hale 300 series Barrister bookcases for many years. You can get them from a number of outlets but this one, Blue Hen, has been good for me.

http://www.bluehen.com/bookcases-woo...s-c-26_70.html
    Bob, how high do you stack these sectionals? 3 high? 4? more?

Also, do you buy the standard height and/or depth? Or do you go with the taller and/or deeper options?

The 300 series looks good, but I like the 800 series too.

Especially of interest is the option for locks on each of the doors - which is a definite plus with young kids in the house. I'm not seeing the lock option on the other links in this thread.

The downside is that the all-in cost sure adds up for this nice of a product.
    5 high is as tall as my ceilings will allow. For the most part I hang artwork on the walls where I want it and fill in the gaps with bookcases. So I go 5 high between paintings and 2 to 3 high beneath the paintings as space allows. The stackable feature of the barrister bookcases allows for great flexibility and I can rearrange everything anytime I wish.

I buy the biggest ones available, 12" interior height, I think.
    Bob, thanks for the additional information. Five high would be perfect. Any chance you might post a photo or three of yours?

For comparison:
    Standard section (outside): 13 1/8" H x 34 1/4" W x 11 1/2" D
    Extra Tall / Extra Deep section (outside): 15 1/8" H x 34 1/4" W x 13 1/2" D

Edit: I was responding from the previous page in the thread apparently. I see now that you are already working on pics.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Edit: I was responding from the previous page in the thread apparently. I see now that you are already working on pics.
    Yes. I started a thread in the Collections area for those who are interested.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I started a thread in the Collections area for those who are interested.
    Sweet!

For clarification regarding those dimensions I posted above for the Hale Bannister bookshelves: The 300 series does not come in the "extra deep" option, only the 800 series offers that.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    Here is where I got mine, not top end but nice and a LOT of different styles/sizes.

http://www.homedecorators.com/
    Dave, which ones specifically do you have? And how tall is the interior measurement? (i.e. which books won't fit?) Thanks.

I love the Hale bookcases that Bob posted, but for less than a third of the price, I'm now considering this one (even though it doesn't lock):

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Craf..._Bookcase/110/
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is where I got mine, not top end but nice and a LOT of different styles/sizes.

Dave, which ones specifically do you have? And how tall is the interior measurement? (i.e. which books won't fit?) Thanks.

I love the Hale bookcases that Bob posted, but for less than a third of the price, I'm now considering this one (even though it doesn't lock):

Patrick, I did not get the barrister style even though I love the look they did not seem as practical as the type with adjustable shelves, plus the ones I got were available in 24", 36" and 48" wide so I was able to fill my space perfectly by getting the right combination. The link is to the bookcases I got:

Another benifit to the 2 door type is it would be pretty easy to add a lock.
    http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo...ass_Doors/210/

Traveler Patrick19 is on a distinguished road Patrick19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    These are cheap ones from Ikea. you assemble yourself, but the price was nice.

Link

Well, I really like my barrister cases.
    However, I have to say that I wish I had seen these Ikea cases before I had gotten those... because I am positively green with envy over this display!! I'm not sure, but it could also have something to do with the contents of the cases themselves
    Amazing!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, I did not get the barrister style even though I love the look they did not seem as practical as the type with adjustable shelves, plus the ones I got were available in 24", 36" and 48" wide so I was able to fill my space perfectly by getting the right combination. The link is to the bookcases I got:

Another benefit to the 2 door type is it would be pretty easy to add a lock.
    http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo...ass_Doors/210/
    Thanks, Dave. Great minds think alike, or something. I was pondering whether I'd always be a bit disappointed if I couldn't store the extra tall books inside - a problem I would have with barrister-style, but not with an adjustable style. After perusing that site some more, I just came in here to add a link to that same bookcase. That one is now my odds-on favorite, specifically the 6-shelf 48" Wide model, color to be determined upon consultation with my wife.

Dave, would you mind posting a photo of yours?

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick here is a pic of the bookcases this one shows starting from the left 2 - 48" wide, 1 24" wide and 1 36" wide.

I made the mistake of having these painted because the "merlot" color was a much brighter red than I expected, the guy who said he could match them better to the darker red of the shot glass cases and fireplace mantle was full of it and it became a disaster.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Awesome set-ups Jerome and Dave! Very nice.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting that photo, Dave. Sorry the paint job didn't go as planned. Glad I was going to skip that merlot color anyway.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Somehow the couple with a billion books ( my beau & I) moved in together & realized that by virtue of each our divorces & books being in storage for awhile the only bookcase we had was the one full of the publications he uses for work. We needed more shelf for less money & settled on the giant cube model from ikea (expedit) although I have been promised a glass doored case for my collection somewhere down the line.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ves, feel free to post a photo when you have it all loaded up.

- - - - -

Dave, do you own the taller books? I don't see a tall shelf with 'Salem's Lot S/L or GE, EOTD, My Pretty Pony, etc. - or am I missing something?

Also: What's the story on all those shot glasses?
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-04-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: questions for Dave

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

- - - - -

Dave, do you own the taller books? I don't see a tall shelf with 'Salem's Lot S/L or GE, EOTD, My Pretty Pony, etc. - or am I missing something?

I had to sell in the past most of the King s/l, I have re-aquired a few but mostly I have the DT s/l's and they are in a different bookcase in my bedroom where all the DT art is.

I used to buy different mementos when I would go somewhere but I found over time that shotglasses were the best as they are small and did not take up as much space. When I set up the library I found a company that made the nice cabinets so I could finally display them. I now rate a trip by how many shotglasses I can get I have them from all the different cities, restaurants, events etc. I have been to.

Here is my bookcase that has the books most important to me (it's a bit of a mess right now):

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

- - - - -

I had to sell in the past most of the King s/l, I have re-aquired a few but mostly I have the DT s/l's and they are in a different bookcase in my bedroom where all the DT art is.

I used to buy different mementos when I would go somewhere but I found over time that shotglasses were the best as they are small and did not take up as much space. When I set up the library I found a company that made the nice cabinets so I could finally display them. I now rate a trip by how many shotglasses I can get I have them from all the different cities, restaurants, events etc. I have been to.

Here is my bookcase that has the books most important to me (it's a bit of a mess right now):

Off topic, sorry- where did you get those shot glass cases? I do the same thing on all my vacations I take and I need a decent place to display my shot glasses....

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Oy,

Does all the glass shelves hold your collectible and reading copies or do you store your reading copies elsewhere?. Those are nice bookcases.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by at_one View Post

- - - - -

Off topic, sorry- where did you get those shot glass cases? I do the same thing on all my vacations I take and I need a decent place to display my shot glasses....
    Here is a link to the site I believe I got them from (it has been a couple of years)

http://www.displaygifts.com/shotglas...FQUWGgod0G4PDA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast