Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Having only seen them the once in the early 90's I never had to deal with getting tickets through their site or from ticketbastard (we got ours at the venue box office). That said, I admire bands like Pearl Jam who make the attempt to bypass ticketbastard and other like-minded corporations who jack up ticket prices for no other reason than profit. Radiohead attempts much the same thing (at least with a portion of the tickets) and I've not had a problem getting tickets through the fan club site for them and avoiding the ludicrous surcharges.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I have to agree with Jayson ( plus, you know, he's my spectrometer ) regarding bands that go the extra steps to help the fans. Ticketmaster is rediculous with their fees and charges. I'm all for any band that steps up and says "enough".
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Agree. Radiohead's system worked because they would never say specifically what time tix would go on sale, only that it would happen on a certain day. I had no problem getting tickets until 2008 when I started trying the second the onsale happened and was completely shut out after trying for 3 hours.

Pearl Jam was another story. I actually preferred the old days where you would send in a money order with your ticket order form to now where the site crashes. 2006 was the first time PJ sold concert tickets through their website and I had no problem getting tix for all my shows. However last year with Ed's solo tour, the website crashed as I was trying to check out and I not only was I shut out, but I had charges pending on my check card for a week before they came off.

The other thing I would add is you are not bypassing Ticketbastard charges when buying direct from PJ, they are still added onto the ticket price. PJ is reserving all the best seats for their fans (even better), so ticketbastard doesn't hold them back and then sell them on Ticketsnow (a ticket broker site), which it conveniently purchased last year.

Quote Originally Posted by blg View Post
    Agree. Radiohead's system worked because they would never say specifically what time tix would go on sale, only that it would happen on a certain day. I had no problem getting tickets until 2008 when I started trying the second the onsale happened and was completely shut out after trying for 3 hours.
    I got mine within 5 seconds of the onsale starting in 2008 and 2003. I got lucky I suppose.

I know what you are saying about the mail-order as opposed to internet order. It's how I used to get my Dead and Phish tickets back in the day and the system was as smooth as silk.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I got mine within 5 seconds of the onsale starting in 2008 and 2003. I got lucky I suppose.

I know what you are saying about the mail-order as opposed to internet order. It's how I used to get my Dead and Phish tickets back in the day and the system was as smooth as silk.

I think you did get lucky for 2008. I even had 3 other people trying to help me and still failed to get Hollywood Bowl tix. I managed to get a pair during the Ticketmaster onsale, but the seats sucked.

I had good luck with WASTE in 2003. I slept through the onsale in 2006, but a kind person sold me single tickets to both LA Greek shows for face value. 2001 was through TM.

I saw the Dead once back in 1991 and even though Jerry didn't seem to be in very good form, I'm glad i made it to the show. My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.

My Mood
    Gay

... My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.
    Phish in 1993... Oh, they're a jam band... they're probably still on stage. You might want to check it out, you could still catch the encore.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

... My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.
    I saw my first Phish show in 92. Too bad you didn't get to see them in 93, it was a great year for Phish shows.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Phish in 1993... Oh, they're a jam band... they're probably still on stage. You might want to check it out, you could still catch the encore.
    As funny as that is, and it is kinda funny, I must say that the New Year's Eve 1999/2000 show was among the single most spectacular shows by any band that I've ever seen. There are very few bands, jam band or otherwise, that could take the stage at midnight and not stop playing until sunrise (just over 7.5 hours later) and manage to keep it entertaining. That set was a hell of a lot more than the pointless noodling of many of Phish's imitators (of which there are so so many). Truth be told, as much as I've soured of them since they reformed after the hiatus, Phish pre-2002 was among the most innovative and adventurous bands you could hope to see live. They did things not a whole lot of other bands would even attempt let alone pull off.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

With Maer's OK, and an attempt to help out anyone on the lookout for these I will post the PJ shows I have on CD along with some short notes.Turtlex, or anyone else that may have some are welcome to post theirs too. I'll start with the first chronological show I have, with more to come later.

Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland 23/6/00

Of the Girl, Corduroy, Breakerfall, Grievance, Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Nothing as it Seems, Alive, Thin Air, Light Years, Untitled, MFC, Habit, Wishlist, Off He Goes, Sleight of Hand, Insignifigance, RVM, Porch, Brain of J, Given to Fly, Do the Evolution, Betterman, Nothingman, Leatherman, Leaving Here, Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter

-Not a very good show. The crowd is almost unresposive (about four or five songs in, Eddie asks for the lights to be turned on so he can confirm that there's an audience there), they mess up Nothing as it. Seems (Eddie gets a couple good jokes out of it however), the band just never seems to hit their stride.

-A rare show they don't play Evenflow.

-They play the complete trilogy, also pretty rare.

My score: 5.5/10
    In Digitized Remorse

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Las Vegas, Nevada 10/22/00

Interstellar Overdrive, Corduroy, Breakerfall, Grievance, Last Exit, Animal, Dissident, Nothing as it Seems, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Untitled, MFC, Evenflow, Jeremy, Insignificance, Betterman, Lukin, RVM, Do the Evolution, Once, Crown of Thorns, Black, Can't Help Falling in Love, Small Town, Mankind, Last Kiss, Porch, Baba O' Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

-This is the tenth anniversary or their very first show.

-They start off with a snippet of a Pink Floyd tune.

-Before Evenflow, Eddie talks about the first demo he did with Jeff and Stone, then later in the show thanks a whole list of people by name.

-The first time they played Crown of Thorns.

-The second and last time they played Can't Help Falling on this tour. "Just due to geographical location".

-Brenden O' Brien played keyboard on Crown of Thorns, Black, and Can't Help Falling.

My score: 9/10
    In Digitized Remorse

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

wow! Looks great FoG. Thanks for posting that.

Of the three Pearl Jam shows I went to they closed with Yellow Ledbetter twice and played evenflow at all three. The first show I went to Eddie jumped into the mosh pit was passed around. It was f'n cool.

I saw Phish in Cincinnati in December of 1999 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. They did two nights there and we went to both shows. It was one of the highlights of my concert goings.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I saw Phish in Cincinnati in December of 1999 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. They did two nights there and we went to both shows. It was one of the highlights of my concert goings.
    You got a treat that second night in Cincy with a rare live performance of "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday". I saw that song played a bunch, but that was way early in the 90's when it was still played somewhat regularly. By '99 it was a rarity. That whole second fall '99 run of shows was pretty solid. I saw two somewhat disappointing shows in July of '99 but summer tour was never as solid as fall tour was.

Ok, back to Pearl Jam...

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

San Diego, California 10/25/00

Long Road, Breakerfall, Corduroy, Whipping, God's Dice, Animal, Given to Fly, Evenflow, Wishlist, RVM, Rival, Jeremy, Pilate, MFC, Daughter, Soon Forget, Immortality, Insignificance, Go, Don't be Shy, In My Tree, State of Love and Trust, Once, Small Town, Black, Parting Ways, Yellow Ledbetter

-A pretty standard show with a nice mix of songs.

-Eddie and Matt return to where they grew up. Eddie recalls going to the Sports Arena years before to see shows.

-Eddie adds some lyrics onto the Daughter jam. Not sure if it's another song or if he made them up on the spot.

My score: 7/10
    In Digitized Remorse

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Perth, Austrailia 2/23/03

Long Road, Save You, God's Dice, Corduroy, Given to Fly, Evenflow, Get Right, Cropduster, Jeremy, Small Town, I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain, MFC, Improv, Habit, You Are, Wishlist, 1/2 Full, Insignificance, Go, Do the Evolution, Betterman, Daughter, Crazy Mary, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Alive, Fortunate Son

-A run of the mill show for being the last Aussie show that tour. Two short jams and an improv is all they did special.

-Mark Seymour, who wrote Throw Your Arms, appears on stage to play the song with the band.

-Yellow Ledbetter is nowhere to be seen!

My score: 6/10
    In Digitized Remorse

Country
    Country Flag

If you are looking for info on past Pearl Jam shows:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/cc.a...70A1D4E456C234

This site took over the concert chronology that Fivehorizons.com started in 1996.

For me, PJ's prime was 1993-1998, with 1994 being their best tour. I still enjoy going to shows now, but it's definitely not the same as it was.

Even though I didn't enjoy the 2003 tour all that much, I would suggest checking out the 3 night stand the band did in Boston on 07/02, 07/03, and 07/11/03. They played something like 95 different songs with only one repeat over the course of the 3 shows.

Along the Path of the Beam Tank is on a distinguished road Tank's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had tickets to see PJ back in '92 when they were touring with the Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins, but I ended up grounded and wasn't able to go.

It took me until '03 to see them. I found the set list from that night on their site:

Jun 25, 2003
    Set 1

* Animal
    * Gods' Dice
    * Rival
    * Save You
    * Glorified G
    * Breath
    * I Am Mine
    * Love Boat Captain
    * Even Flow
    * Help Help
    * Nothing As it Seems
    * Given To Fly
    * Lukin
    * Corduroy
    * Daughter(W.M.A.)
    * Evacuation
    * Rearviewmirror

Encore 1

* Crazy Mary
    * I Believe In Miracles
    * Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    * Bu$hleaguer
    * Do The Evolution

Encore 2

* Soon Forget
    * Baba O'Riley
    * Yellow Ledbetter

The one song I really wanted them to play was Alive and of course they didn't. A friend of mine went the next night and they played not only that, but Black and Rockin' In The Free World.

My Mood
    Gay

tank - that still looks like a pretty good set to me !

Along the Path of the Beam Tank is on a distinguished road Tank's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No doubt turtlex. I guess I was mostly bummed that I passed on going to the next show after hearing that set list, but I was low on funds at the time so...

My Mood
    Gay

Ouch, yes, the "low on funds" deal.
    I have that a lot !! I feel your pain.

I wish I could have seen PJ more and I hope to the next tour. I was majorly bummed at missing Ed on a solo tour - especially since the Into The Wild soundtrack is probably one of my favorite all time albums. I just really dig it.

My Mood
    Gay

Just got the PJ bootleg show from 02/23/2003, Perth Austrailia... I haven't listened to it all yet, but so far, the first disc and a couple from the second - this is a great show! Quickly climbing up my favorites list.

ETA : I've been hunting around on ebay and amazon for bootlegs, so every now and then I treat myself... as the credit card allows, of course!

I just (well last night) found a copy of Eddie playing with the band C-Average as the opening act for The Who in November of 1999. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's scheduled for later today (after the Syd Barrett tribute ends). I'm especially looking forward to a cover of Talking Heads' Love-->Building On Fire.

My Mood
    Gay

Awesome!
    Please post and let us know how it is.

You know I will.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I just (well last night) found a copy of Eddie playing with the band C-Average as the opening act for The Who in November of 1999. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's scheduled for later today (after the Syd Barrett tribute ends). I'm especially looking forward to a cover of Talking Heads' Love-->Building On Fire.

The shows were pretty cool and depending on what version you have, the sound quality is good.

Ed played with C Avg a handful of other times in '99, including the Tibetan Freedom Concert and a benefit show at the Palladium in Hollywood with Perry Farrell, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and others. My wife was one of the lucky ones who saw the Palladium show.

My Mood
    Gay

I was just doing a search at EIL and they have sooooo many cool PJ bootlegs, if only I were independently wealthy... or, you know, weathly at all.

The shows were pretty cool and depending on what version you have, the sound quality is good.
    I'm looking forward to listening to it. If the quality of the Talking Heads cover is good, it'll be a worthwhile acquisition. It's one of my fav TH songs so I'm intrigued to hear Vedder give it a go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast