Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Fall of Gilead View Post
    I was not really a fan of PJ until about 4 years ago. I knew there were a couple songs on Ten I liked so finally got it, and never looked back. Have about 13 of their shows on CD and always on the lookout for more. My fave show is probably State College, Pennsylvania 5/3/03. Fave song is Black.
    I have State College as well, and it's a great show!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the "thanks for the music, please fuck me Eddie" bit.
    I think back on .net I made a thread confessing my PJ fandom. My only regret is not seeing the light until it was too late to go hog wild on the 2000 concert series while they were readily available.
    In Digitized Remorse

My Mood
    Gay

Finding the older ones are not impossible, though.

Every now and then, I pick them up on Amazon, if you can imagine. Usually they're flagged as "used" or "collectible" and they're typically affordable ( under 20 bucks ).

It's how I grow my collection ( yeah, as if I need more Pearl Jam ).

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean, I don't care if they play Evenflow and Given to Fly every show, I WANT MORE!
    In Digitized Remorse

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen them live three times and I can say that they are freakin' awesome in concert. They appreciate their fans and put on a great show.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Gay

Maer - When did you see them? Which tours?

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

*jealous werebat*
    In Digitized Remorse

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Maer - When did you see them? Which tours?

Lets see, I saw them in may of 1992 behind KU stadium. I saw them in 1994 in SLC, and the last time I saw them was in Seattle in either late 1998 or early 1999. I was so close to seeing them in Las Vegas in 2002 but it didn't work out.

My concert days are on hold now that the kids are so young. I've probably only been to three or four shows since 2002.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, you've been seeing them since the "beginning" and such diverse locations. I am very envious!

Um, you should bring the kiddies!

Along the Path of the Beam Tank is on a distinguished road Tank's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember hearing Alive on the radio in late '91 one morning while getting ready for school and having the hair stand up on my arms. I thought to myself "Finally, a band that brings the rock". I never was into the hair metal scene and having started playing guitar in '89 I was pretty much surrounded by nothing but hair farmers. I had to search high and low to find bands that I could get into back then and it felt like Pearl Jam were just dropped into my lap by some higher power.

The best part of being a fan of them back then, at least it's funny in hindsight, was trying to turn my snot nosed friends onto them. Most of them were listening to hip hop, Metallica's black album or Nirvana. I'd tell them to check out this band named Pearl Jam and they'd give me the gas face and say "That's a stupid fucking name for a band" and refuse to even listen to the tape. Of course by the same time next year most of those friends were rocking out to PJ and wearing flannel.

My Mood
    Gay

I will say I spent some time running around the net this weekend, looking for bootlegs that I don't have.

Um, who knew there were so many?!? From 2000 there are 72. And that's just from 2000. Good to know I will always have something to collect regarding Pearl Jam, cause there's no way I am ever going to get ALL these boots!

And welcome to the site, Tank!

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Tank, glad to see another PJ fan!

Right, Turtlex, the complete 2000 tour was released. As well the total 2003 tour was released but only about 10 shows were retail, the rest internet only. I plan to check some out myself, I get the funds.
    In Digitized Remorse

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah. Fellow PJ and grunge fans! Love it! Been a PJ fan since the beginning. A huge one! 16-17 yrs old when it all began, and remember what it was like when Pj came on the scene with TEN. Even flow, Jeremy, and Once were all over the radio. Got the tape (no CD's yet in my collection) and found the other songs not on the irwave rotation and was hooked. Me and the guys used to get together every weekend and play all the cool stuff from back when. PJ, Alice in chains, Soundgarden, Extreme, RHCP, and then Temple of the Dog came out. Holy shit it was great! Lots of Chris Cornell in it, and needed more Vedder for sure, but it was still awesome. Those were the best days of my life back then... We even saw them live several times, and remember going to see Metallica tour with this unknown band named Candlebox opening. Probably one of the loudest and best shows I've been to. Lollapalooza was always a blast as well. Only got to go to one, though. Wanted to go see the Screaming Trees, Sponge, and several of the others one year but didn't get to. Ahhh I could reminice all day.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

My Mood
    Gay

Dave, welcome! Did you see that they are re-issuing TEN with a super deluxe version?

I can't wait to get mine! .... though I notice they've changed the photo of the whole package over at the tenclub. Hmmmmm.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not until I read it on here. Someone up there mentioned Given to fly. I got chills the first time I heard that one. Release had the same effect. This is awesome! Do you know how many other people out there my age range (30-38 yr olds, mostly) didn't really get into it back then? It is actually hard to find someone that knows a song by them when I mention the name. It is much the same reaction when I mention LIVE, Counting Crows, Blind Melon, or a lot of them. I get a lot of blank stares. usually I'll play a song by one of them and then there is a spark of recognition. "Oh yeah! I remember that song. Didn't know Pearl Jam did that. I thought it was Creed or something like that."
    Yeah. Anyways, listening to STP now, the Tiny Music Cd. Anyways, guess I'm digressing again down memory lane...
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally. Back in the day, except for a couple Ten songs, I hated them. Then about five years ago I took a chance on them and glad I did.
    In Digitized Remorse

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I think PJ is very talented, but like I said the imposters have turned me off. There's just too many of them and its a shame. I feel similarly about Nirvana too, but I also acknowledge them as the real deal.

I might just have to pick up the re issue of Ten and see if I can get into it this time around.

My Mood
    Gay

I know what you mean about "imposters" - I remember the first time I heard "Hunger Strike"... I was like "now who's trying to be Pearl Jam"..... Ha !

( FYI : Hunger Strike was Eddie Vedder performing with Temple of the Dog )

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean about "imposters" - I remember the first time I heard "Hunger Strike"... I was like "now who's trying to be Pearl Jam"..... Ha !

( FYI : Hunger Strike was Eddie Vedder performing with Temple of the Dog )
    I still have that on vinyl.

You're not saying Temple Of The Dog was trying to be Pearl Jam, are you?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

No! Not at all. I'm saying that because of all the "wannabe" bands, I was mistaking Eddie himself for an imposter !

"Hunger Strike" is one of my all time favorite songs! Love it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No! Not at all. I'm saying that because of all the "wannabe" bands, I was mistaking Eddie himself for an imposter !
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam Tank is on a distinguished road Tank's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That deluxe reissue looks sweet, but I'm wondering why they didn't include Dirty Frank in the extras? I used to have the import Ten and that and Wash were my favorite bonus tracks.

I'm really excited to hear what Brendan O’Brien does with the remix of the album. I've read over the years that the band wasn't thrilled with the final mix on Ten because the record company basically drowned the whole thing in that horrible 80's digital reverb. If you listen to the rest of their studio albums they are much, much more dry mix-wise.

My Mood
    Gay

This is the current description of the Re-Issue :

Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •
    DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN
    Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION
    In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
    · Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
    · Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
    · Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
    · Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
    · DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
    · LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
    · LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
    · DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
    · LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
    · LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
    · LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
    · Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
    · Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

I think it's going to be sweet. Like I said, I've already pre-ordered my Super Deluxe Version from the tenclub.

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Huge Pearl Jam fan here also. I saw them live for the first time in 1992 and have since seen them about 40 times. I actually met my wife while following the band around on tour for a few weeks in 2000. I also got lucky in that my wife joined the fanclub in 1993 and up until this most recent tour, she was always able to get front row.

I think PJ's best albums are Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield...their worst album is definitely Riot Act. I also got into the live show trading/taping thing for a while and one point had nearly every taped show through 2003. I've since lost interest in the hobby have either given away or put most of it in storage.

I think I've become a little disenchanted and/or bored with their most recent music and tour policies. PJ's website is a joke and always crashes whenever they put tickets onsale. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't invest in more server capacity. Also not a fan of whatever entity now runs the Ten Club. However, with that being said, I'll probably have to buy the reissue of Ten just for old time's sake.

My Mood
    Gay

Last tour, I got my tickets through the tenclub and had no problem at all. Maybe they've addressed the prevous issues?!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast