Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Pearl Jam

I don't know about you but I was 16 when Ten was released. I absolutely fell in love with Pearl Jam. In fact this was the first concert I went to. I was 16 and it was May of 1992 and Pearl Jam put on a free concert right behind KU stadium. It was eyeopening. I was in the mosh pit (remember those ) and I was ten feet away from Eddie Vedder. Pretty cool, eh?

anyways, I read today on EW.com that they are releasing Ten again in March.

so cool. Pearl Jam to remaster, remix, and reissue 'Ten

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? That's friggin' awesome!
    I remember listening to them nearly every day back in high school.
    Ten was SUCH a great album.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't care much for them up until "Yield". I pay close attention to what they have done since. Seen them live on their tour in late 2006. They were fantastic.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I am a Pearl Jam freak !!

I saw them live for the first time a couple of years ago, in Philly. Unfortunately, I was kind of having an asthma attack at the time ( middle of summer, very hot ) but I still loved it.

This is such cool news.

Maer, did you see the cool picture over at the ten club?

I will soooooo be getting this :

It's the SUPER DELUXE edition. $140 with free shipping - available from the ten club ( you must be a member ) ... includes all this cool stuff :

Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
    · Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
    · Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
    · DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
    · LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
    · LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
    · LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
    · Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
    · Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

Plus - random sets will be autographed by members of Pearl Jam !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I too love Pearl Jam.

I saw them for the first time in 1991 (it may have been 92, my memories of my early 20's are a little hazy and hard to get in chronological order). Either way, my friends and I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Roseland Ballroom in NY and this band Pearl Jam that none of us had heard of was opening for them. When their set was done, very few people wanted them to leave the stage. All we could talk about for weeks was how freakin' good that band was.

In the years since I have long since forgotten what it was I ever liked about RHCP in the first place, but I have never lost a bit of my love for Pearl Jam. If anything, I love them more than ever. Their many imitators come and go, but PJ remains solid.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I too love Pearl Jam.

..... All we could talk about for weeks was how freakin' good that band was.

In the years since I have long since forgotten what it was I ever liked about RHCP in the first place, but I have never lost a bit of my love for Pearl Jam. If anything, I love them more than ever. Their many imitators come and go, but PJ remains solid.

Another fine example of why you are my spectrometer!

I have tons of their bootlegs and just love them. Also, Eddie's soundtrack to Into The Wild.... outstanding!

I'm really looking forward to this new release in 2009!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Also, Eddie's soundtrack to Into The Wild.... outstanding!
    I second that. I'd really like to see him do a solo album sometime soon.

I have tons of their bootlegs and just love them.
    Same here, probably a few too many to be honest. One of the the things that makes them special is how great they are live. There are bands that suck live. There are bands that are just ok live, in that they do their best to sound more or less like they do on their albums. Then there are bands that excel at playing live. Pearl Jam is one of them. As good as they are in the studio, their live sound blows that away.

They also understand that when you have a live audience made up of a large percentage that follow you around the country and sees multiple shows that the band needs to mix things up from night to night and not just play essentially the same show in every city. This comes down to more than shuffling the setlist as well. It's more about not playing the same songs in the same way every night. Now, they are not quite as obsessed with doing this as The Grateful Dead or Phish, but they do a pretty good job of it.

My Mood
    Gay

I'm with you owning maybe too many boots, but I can't help it. I just love them. I have the entire last tour. Every show.

They do sound amazing live, though.

And I couldn't agree more about them mixing things up and even bringing in songs from other artists ( rockin' in the free world ).

Have you ever checked out their website - it is great. There's a set list that you can sort by song, last time performed, first time performed, etc.

I am a member of the fan club, so plan on hitting at least one live show the next time around ( fan club gets first grab at tickets ).

ETA : Oh, you changed your sig picture!

I have the entire last tour. Every show.
    Ok, I don't feel so alone anymore as I do too.

And I couldn't agree more about them mixing things up and even bringing in songs from other artists ( rockin' in the free world ).
    It's another thing that they do well (like the other bands I mentioned). You never really know what song they are going to do from one minute to the next because any song from any band is in play. The Neil Young covers are always good, but when they blow me away is when they do the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams". Nothing quite has the raw power of the original, but of all the bands I've heard cover it, and there are many, PJ does it a lot better than most.

Have you ever checked out their website - it is great. There's a set list that you can sort by song, last time performed, first time performed, etc.
    I have, and it is. It's a great resource.

ETA : Oh, you changed your sig picture!
    I did. I'm playing a lot these days (more time with no job) which always leads me to listening to a lot of Ribot.

My Mood
    Gay

I've got on the boot from Poland in 2000 and I just so dig PJ live !!!

I wish I had more of the older PJ boots, but every now and then I pick a "new" older one up at amazon.

Gosh, I wish I could play guitar. I own an Ovation Trekker, but just can't play at all. Of course, I can't read music either.

ETA: I think "Live At Benaroya Hall" might be my favorite PJ ever.

Gosh, I wish I could play guitar. I own an Ovation Trekker, but just can't play at all. Of course, I can't read music either.
    Try again. You never know when it will take. If I can teach myself to play, anybody can. I can't believe that next month it will be 9 years since I started playing. I wish I had a recording of all the times I said "I'll never be able to (Insert Technique Here)" for things I do now without thinking. Persistence really does pay off.

It's someplace I've started a few people who have never heard any live PJ before. It always hooks them.

My Mood
    Gay

Try again. You never know when it will take. If I can teach myself to play, anybody can. I can't believe that next month it will be 9 years since I started playing. I wish I had a recording of all the times I said "I'll never be able to (Insert Technique Here)" for things I do now without thinking. Persistence really does pay off.

It's someplace I've started a few people who have never heard any live PJ before. It always hooks them.
    I'm pretty good at guitar hero! Not so sure about the real guitar though. I've tried again and again, and just can't seem to get a hang of it. Maybe in the new year.

I'm pretty good at guitar hero! Not so sure about the real guitar though. I've tried again and again, and just can't seem to get a hang of it. Maybe in the new year.
    I'm pretty sure there's no correlation there. Try the real thing again in the New Year. Maybe a different approach is what you need. The first month or two that I was learning I wanted to quit every day because it seemed pointless. Then I put some of the chords that I learned together and realized I could play a few Neil Young songs. I've been obsessed with the instrument ever since.

My Mood
    Gay

Hey, I beat Slash in Guitar Hero, mister !!!

Will give it a shot, for sure ! Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey, I beat Slash in Guitar Hero, mister !!!
    Not sure how much of an accomplishment that is in virtual or real guitar-playing.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    Not to sound like a Burt Bacarach song, but that's what friends are for.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

This is excellent advice Jayson. Fingerpicking is something I never thought I could do and now I seldom do anything else. If you told me I'd be able to travis pick when I first started I would have said you were crazy.

You can do it Tutlex. By the way, if you can beat Slash on guitar hero, you definitely have the dexterity to play a real guitar.

About Pearl Jam. I have a lot of respect for them as a band, particularly their public stance against Ticket Master. That being said, I'm not a huge fan, and I think its because of all the imposters that I don't like that deep baritone rock voice. I was also at my adolescent peak when grunge ruled the world, and I think I got sick of it very fast and this has hindered me from experiencing Pearl Jam's newer stuff as well as reliving the older music.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Fingerpicking is something I never thought I could do and now I seldom do anything else. If you told me I'd be able to travis pick when I first started I would have said you were crazy.
    I feel the same way about vibrato and note bending. When I first started playing individual notes as opposed to chords I was just glad to hit the one I meant to hit. Thinking about ways to play with the intonation of that note were not something I ever thought I would be able to do. Now it comes so naturally I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

You get to a point where the guitar becomes an extension of yourself. Like playing with a wah wah pedal and never looking down. It seems that I woke up one morning and was able to play barre chords, solo, and finger pick. It took awhile, but you're right, persistence is rewarded handsomely when it comes to musical instruments.

I also think that the more someone loves and understands music in general, the more likely it is that they will eventually be able to get something rewarding out of playing it, which brings us back to Turtlex who is definitely a music lover.

Oh, and one last note on this subject Turtlex, you mentioned not being able to read music. Don't let that affect you one bit. Hendrix couldn't read a single note of sheet music either, but he seemed to figure out what he was doing without much trouble.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, and one last note on this subject Turtlex, you mentioned not being able to read music. Don't let that affect you one bit. Hendrix couldn't read a single note of sheet music either, but he seemed to figure out what he was doing without much trouble.
    Okay, so, um, how long 'til I'm as good as he was?!?

Honestly, I'd be happy with being able to play some PJ.

When I get there myself I'll let you know.

My Mood
    Gay

I pre-ordered this :

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think one of the better unknown PJ (as far as radio play) is Riot Act. Great album.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I was not really a fan of PJ until about 4 years ago. I knew there were a couple songs on Ten I liked so finally got it, and never looked back. Have about 13 of their shows on CD and always on the lookout for more. My fave show is probably State College, Pennsylvania 5/3/03. Fave song is Black.
    In Digitized Remorse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast