Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Trade Edition Cover Art--Nominations Closed

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:X: Best Trade Edition Cover Art--Nominations Closed

This thread is for members to nominate novels and/or collections for the Award for Best Trade Edition Cover Art. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must be a published work written by Stephen King that was released in a Trade Edition. Titles originally published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible. No deluxe, gift, “artist’s”, or otherwise “limited” editions are eligible for nomination in this category.

To nominate a cover for this category, simply post your choice in this thread with an image of the cover art. In order for a cover to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each cover listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. It is not necessary to post images when seconding or thirding nominations. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

Cover images can be found here in our King Collectibles Catalog.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.
    Heng Dai

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to go with:

Every few days I pull it off the shelf and just stare at it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll second Just After Sunset
    and would like to nominate Desperation
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Desperation seconded That shit is fucking weird!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I especially like how on the back it ties into The Regulators.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, great book design overall. But the Desperation cover really stands out. It's so out there.

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the UK cover for Lisey's Story, so im going to nominate it:

... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the Desperation and Regulators covers as well. You can actually look at those covers and get a feel for the book. Not so with the majority of the covers. Some of them are either completely blech, or just downright incongruous.

But I'd like to nominate the cover of Dolores Claiborne. The cover looks like it belongs with the book, is sufficiently creepy and I find it aesthetically pleasing.

The book has no chapters and I (swear unintentionally) read the whole thing through in one go. When reading Gerald's Game years later, I liked the way it tied in to this one.

Country
    Country Flag

Dolores Claiborne seconded.

Are UK covers eligible? That Lisey's Story cover is not bad, but I just do not like the font they use for "Stephen King".

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Delores Claiborne and Desperation, and nominate Night Shift

simply because it freaks me right the hell out.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

gotta second night shift. that was just plain creepy

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just After Sunset 2
    Desperation 3
    Lisey's Story (UK) 1
    Dolores Claiborne 3
    Night Shift 2

When there's more than one different nomination for the same title, I'll be including pictures.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

UK covers are cool. They meet the guidelines.

I always thought the cover for Dolores Claiborne was weird; at first glance it always looks to me like she is wearing a sombrero.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Hm, paperbacks are cool too? I love that Night Shift cover, of course, but I though this would be restricted to first edition covers.

Country
    Country Flag

Nope, just trade editions. That can mean 1st edition, paperback, trade paperback, foreign covers, whatever. Just as long as it was an edition in general circulation and not limited. But...the chances are that it will be a 1st edition hardback cover that wins, mainly because they are the most well-known.

Except for that Night Shift paperback cover. I seriously am beginning to believe that every person on the planet has a copy, or has at least seen one.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

I'm thirding Night Shift then. It just creeped the hell out of me in school when we read The Ledge in English class from this same copy. Mine was battered beyond belief, but the cover was mostly intact. Who's the artist, I wonder?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Nope, just trade editions. That can mean 1st edition, paperback, trade paperback, foreign covers, whatever.
    Come on, Jean, nominate a Russian cover!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I ever paid attention to covers... I see them in shops, but bears are not very good at remembering what they see. I might look for them online later, but I don't think there's going to be anything special (may be mistaken, though)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would like to nominate Duma Key. It has one of the best covers I have seen on a King book since Whelan's Firestarter.

Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I finally figured out how to post pictures!!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Just After Sunset. It's not my favorite, but it is unique among the covers of his works.

second duma key.

don't care for the book but the cover art is really, really great.

ETA: and sam? on the image adding!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Third Duma Key.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

gotta go with nightmares & dreamscapes. i actually had nightmares about that cover.

Country
    Country Flag

N&D seconded!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast