Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Salem's Lot - Discussion & Spoilers!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlie View Post
    Just started rereading this classic, and I really think this might be my favorite King story! I've reread other books of his but this one has such staying power. I'd love to see a new movie done for this book.
    The director of the new It would make a fantastic Salem’s Lot. I agree, would be fun to see a new reboot.
    An R rated version set in 1975 would be sweet.

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Salem's Lot was the very first Stephen King book I ever picked up and read. I was 14 at the time. Had me enthralled from the opening page and several of the scenes legitimately scared me. Finished the book in a couple of sittings and ran down to the bookstore to pick up five more King books. I re-read Lot this past summer at age 25 while working my way through the Dark Tower series and I found myself appreciating the book even more. While very little happens in the first 40% of the book, the slow burn and intense build-up is some of King's best work, IMO. I think I'd go so far as to say that I prefer the first half of the book to the second half. It is remarkably creepy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podca...-2-salems-lot/

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished a reread of the book, I think it was the 3rd time I read it, but the first time in probably 30 years. I read on old paperback version I bought in the 80's that was already ragged. I read the deleted scenes in the illustrated version in parallel.

Like some of the others on this thread, I don't get scared by books anymore. I do remember when I read it the first time when I about 15. I had finished reading for the night, and went to the restroom before going to bed. Everyone else in the house had been asleep for a long time. I remember being disappointed that I wasn't scared. I started to pyche my self out. I must have already read the Shining at that point. As I was sitting on the toilet, I started becoming more and more convinced that it was in my best interest not to check what was behind the shower curtain.

I think that the scenes that were cut were scarier then the ones kept in.

I think the only book that truly scared my was "The Amytiville Horror" I probably read the book in 78 or 79 when I was only 10 or 11. I also believed it was a true story at the time.

I think like SK talks about in Danse Macabre, the scariest things are the things you never see. I think that's why movies about haunted houses tend to scare me more then vampires and werewolves.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Dutch translation of 'Salem's Lot was the first King book I ever saw (my dad was reading it and I must have been 6 or 7 at the time). The cover made such an impression on me that when I finally read it myself (probably at the age of 13 or 14) I didn't really want to touch it

I'm 43 now and I still find 'Salem's Lot (and Pet Sematary) to be King's scariest books.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

This was also my first Stephen King book. I picked it up a long long time ago.
    Way back in November 2018

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Giving this a first time read now. About 250 pages in and really liking it. After Wolves of the Calla I wanted some more Father Callahan and to know the complete story of the Lot.

Traveler Thomas33 will become famous soon enough Thomas33 will become famous soon enough

Default Is the novel, Salem's Lot, about the government not needing a means to sustain itself

Is the novel, Salem's Lot, about the national government not needing a means to sustain itself?

Traveler Thomas33 will become famous soon enough Thomas33 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Zidan View Post
    Salem's Lot was the very first Stephen King book I ever picked up and read. I was 14 at the time. Had me enthralled from the opening page and several of the scenes legitimately scared me. Finished the book in a couple of sittings and ran down to the bookstore to pick up five more King books. I re-read Lot this past summer at age 25 while working my way through the Dark Tower series and I found myself appreciating the book even more. While very little happens in the first 40% of the book, the slow burn and intense build-up is some of King's best work, IMO. I think I'd go so far as to say that I prefer the first half of the book to the second half. It is remarkably creepy.

I'm interested, in your comment about very little happening in the first 40% of the book; my own response, to the nature of the storytelling, by King, is that the vampire sections in the first half of the story are fleeting intervals of tension. Moreover, the novel is what I find to be about people 's taking things for granted being the right attitude, perhaps because the national government is also in on the act, thereby exempting people's ignorance from guilt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4