Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Salem's Lot - Discussion & Spoilers!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    ...I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.
    I concur. Atmosphere, foreboding, mistrust, dawning realizations, crises of faith, and similar elements augment the characterizations that King brings to the page. Also, to me, this book is full of Horror. To folks these days brought up on Buffy or whatever else and go into 'Salem's Lot expecting a lot of dripping ghouls and AARRGGGG! and GRAAAHHHHHH! are likely to be disappointed. More's the shame.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Road Virus: You really should read Dracula. It would greatly enhance your appreciation for 'Salem's Lot. At least it did for me.
    SK is unabashed in admitting 'Salem's Lot intentionally paralells Dracula. He's just a much better writer than Stoker was! Since SL is my favorite book I was willing to invest time reading the other books SK has mentioned as influential on the story:
    Our Town, Peyton Place, and The Haunting Of Hill House. All were worth reading and provide an interesting perspective on SK's literary foundation. Although not mentioned outright, The Body Snatchers had a major influence as well. The atmosphere and paranoia of that book is very similar to SL and it is clear that Jack Finney's well written thriller had a major impact on a young Stephen King.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to add that Bram Stoker's "Letter's back n forth" aspect has always impressed me as particularly creepy for some reason. "Dracula" is still a bonafide "Classic" in MHO, taking nothing away from King's Salem's Lot in the least. I recognize the similarities, but overall two distinct stories IMHO. Slightly different versions of true horror, maybe? W/E I have always loved both books!!!

Loved "Buffy" too, but in a much different way!!! She could "slay" me anytime!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I started this book on Friday, almost finished but have to say that damn Susan Norton character irks the hell out of me. I'm at the point where she's at the Marsten's House, where Mark Petrie sees her, tells her about seeing Danny Glick, that's he a vampire and she asks, do you believe it? He was said yeah I saw it lol. Dumb! She reminds me of the other Susan from DT whom I didn't like lol.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too wasn't crazy about either Susan. The book is great, though.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I finished Salem's Lot this morning and I loved it!! Great vampire book! I loved the way it was told. Loved Mark and Ben!! I think they should remake this SL. It was scary good. I think today's vampire's aren't told as being scary anymore. Twilight, Vampire Diaries, even True Blood, etc. they are told as being evil. They are just accepted. I think Salem's Lot is a lot scary then Anne Rice Interview with a vampire. Thanks King!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Susan Norton a lot, even if she was a bit ditzy. Totally shocked me what happened to her.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I liked Susan Norton a lot, even if she was a bit ditzy. Totally shocked me what happened to her.
    I kinda saw that coming, but there were a lot of other shocking moments/scenes. My personal favorite is Callahan and Barlow!! Whoa, Blasphemous (at the time) and very cerebral with regard to theology!!! Very well written IMHO

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I don't consider Susan Norton flaky or ditzy; just someone in her early twenties trying to forge an identity. She was actually courageous, proactive, and impetuous when she decided that Ben, Matt, & Jimmy were beating around the bush and went to the Marsten House on her own. She showed self awareness when she was creeping up to the house thinking about all the victims she had seen in horror movies who keep going on in face of certain demise and with her date's arm protectively around her would think: "what a silly bitch...I'd never do that" and yet there she was doing exactly that. I liked Susan and when I read SL for the first time was surprised by, and disappointed in, her fate.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Since it's Halloween time, and I love Salem's Lot, I've been relistening to this book and rewatching the two movies. I must say that while the original movie is considered a classic, I like the second movie a lot better. It has a lot more elements of the book in it, and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really. The original has a couple of really scare parts, but it's pretty campy now looking back. Especially the vampire. And I don't like the way they negated the Barlow character and kind of turned the Vampire into an attack dog in that version. The new version fits the book a lot better, imo, and even the 'inventions' and 'adaptations' that are made to the story fit into the overall feeling and story line of the book. I particularly like the changes in the Eva character in the newer movie. Makes her a more developed character.

I remember when the original came out, people were really scared of it and talked it up. I never saw it until a few years ago. Times sure have changed.

Still my favorite King book.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's funny how you say this wasn't super scary. I agree with you but my sister feels completely the opposite. She still gets worked up when I bring it up. It's pretty funny. I love to tease her with "open the window Mark"
    and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    That's funny how you say this wasn't super scary. I agree with you but my sister feels completely the opposite. She still gets worked up when I bring it up. It's pretty funny. I love to tease her with "open the window Mark"
    and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really.
    I'd have to disagree a little. I always thought that the fact that he could take a truly ridiculous premise (a whole town becoming Vamps) and make it scary was the sign of true talent. To me, that's just what he did!!! There were tons of "creepy" moments in the read, non better than the entering of the Marsden house and the Callahan scene!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and the school bus... I still prefer not to think about it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree about the talent but I just don't get that scared anymore when the situation is not possible. I like it, don't get me wrong, but if it is "truly ridiculous" then I know it won't happen to me. The idea of going crazy is more frightening.

[/QUOTE]I'd have to disagree a little. I always thought that the fact that he could take a truly ridiculous premise (a whole town becoming Vamps) and make it scary was the sign of true talent. To me, that's just what he did!!! There were tons of "creepy" moments in the read, non better than the entering of the Marsden house and the Callahan scene!![/QUOTE]

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe it's been over 2 year since a post about this fabulous novel. I have changed my opinion on the original Salem's Lot movie from the 70s. I love that movie now. And I still love the book. Since fall is coming, I will be doing my annual listen to 'Salem's Lot, probably multiple times. IMO it is King's best book.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny, my daughter and I were just talking about the Salem's Lot movie and we both agreed that it was too campy to be truly scary any more. There are a couple rather scary scenes, but overall, just to campy.

John

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just out of curiosity I looked up Lance Kerwin who was a child star in 70s TV and in this movie. Looks like he fell on hard times. Conviction for food stamp fraud and selling time shares in Hawaii. He seemed like a decent kid. Hopefully he sorted himself out.

Hard to believe it was 40 years ago today that Benjaman Mears arrived in Jerusalem's Lot for a homecoming he would never forget...

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Funny, my daughter and I were just talking about the Salem's Lot movie and we both agreed that it was too campy to be truly scary any more. There are a couple rather scary scenes, but overall, just to campy.

John
    Don't go on IMDB and post that on the board for that movie there. I posted that it was campy a couple years ago and some argued with me very strongly that I was wrong.

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

This book truly scared the crap out of me. It's been 20 years since I read it as a very cynical 20-something. Not sure even what was so scary about it. It seemed like a fairly simple story. I had nightmares about the bus for at least a year.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsn View Post
    scariest king book ever.

i read it years ago and really loved it and have been wanting
    to reread it for years. just recently i found the old paperback
    at a used book store for a dollar! i am currently reading it and
    now remember why i loved it so much.

the scenes in this book are actually creeping me out which hasn't
    happened for years now.

the brothers in the woods.

the crate delivery to the marsten house.

so much more.

you must read this book if you haven't yet. his best in my opinion.
    It's definitely up there, most of his books are amazing. The only ones I read which actually genuinely creeped me out/produced fear were Pet Semetary, The shinning, and Salem's Lot. I recommend you read the first two if you haven't already, Pet Semetary especially I found scary as hell! Amazingly good though.

John F. Kennedy Ebdim9th is on a distinguished road

A previous post drew an accurate comparison to the paranoia of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, although the fear is old, as was pointed out about the movie Vampyr which starts out with those text 'cards' at the beginning, one referring to entire villages being turned. ('turned' what a pop-culture staple/trope) Buffy the Vampire Slayer was social satire rather than horror. The end of the Dark Tower series compares strongly with Salem's Lot, not just because of Father Callahan's presence in the story. Callahan imbued symbols of faith with substance and power, which the weakness of his alcoholism drained and allowed Barlow to exploit, the light faded and they became tawdry and worthless. In the end of the Dark Tower, the symbols of Ka, Ka tet, faith and belief, the guns with the sandlewood grips, suddenly fade and become tawdry and worthless and get tossed aside, which to me signals a fake happy ending that the characters are not aware that they've been suckered into, reinforced by Roland opening the door and finding, that because he'd not brought the Horn of Eld, another symbol of faith and power, he would have to start his entire journey over again, alone once more. (For some reason I'm all about the run-on sentences)

Traveler Gasher is on a distinguished road

My friends and I went deep on the Lot, including its many adaptations and sequel (yeesh). We're "The Losers' Club" podcast, and our 'Salem's Lot episode debuts on Friday the 27th. We already have a Carrie ep up, and you can find us on iTunes, Stitcher, and Soundcloud. Long days and pleasant nights!

Traveler Marlie is on a distinguished road Marlie's Avatar

Just started rereading this classic, and I really think this might be my favorite King story! I've reread other books of his but this one has such staying power. I'd love to see a new movie done for this book.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Marlie View Post
    Just started rereading this classic, and I really think this might be my favorite King story! I've reread other books of his but this one has such staying power. I'd love to see a new movie done for this book.
    The director of the new It would make a fantastic Salem’s Lot. I agree, would be fun to see a new reboot.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast