Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The books you could never finish somehow...

Oh, there are many but let me start with this one: LOTR
    When they had been climbing that mountain for 300 pages and they turned back.. I closed the book and I never opened it again.
    One day I will have to give it a try.
    What about you?

Roland would have understood.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Surprisingly Bag of Bones. I bought it on release and got about 75% of the way through and gave up, always meaning to finish it, but I never did.

I finished it by listening to the audio book version, just this year. lol

I've also tried Dune a couple of times, but have never been able to finish it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Neither seems too surprizing to me.

I hardly finished Bag of Bones, and never made it through Dune.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Lisey's Story. I have tried twice but just couldn't do it, I either haven't been in the right frame of mind or the timing wasn't right. I'll finish it eventually.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The Wind in the Willows and War & Peace. Those are the only books that I have never been able to finish. If I start a book I have to finish it, it's a compulsion with me, but those 2 books just whupped me.

Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story are awesome. I command you all to finish them both.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

War and Peace is studied at Russian schools by 13-year old kids, can you believe it? I was able to read and enjoy it only when I was past 30. But it's also the question of language, of course. Tolstoy's language is splendid, I am not sure it's the same in translation.

Come to think of it, I never finished The Wind in the Willows, either. I wonder what the reason might be.

I will read Lisey's Story as soon as I can lay my paws on it, which is probably not very soon.

I did finish Bag of Bones. I even read it a second time, about two years after the first, in case I had overlooked something - you know, books often get better on second/third etc reading. That one didn't.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I think part of the reason I enjoyed BoB so much was my youngest was the same age as Kyra when I read it and just as precocious. Plus, the whole child custody angle is my bread and butter.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could never finish Wind and the Willows either...it crushed my aunt because she always thought it was the best children's book, but I just remember being absolutely bored by it. Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I started this book called Bloodtide by an author with the last name of Burgess....I honestly don't remember why I stopped reading it, it seemed like a solid piece of post-apocalyptic sci fi reading.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I think part of the reason I enjoyed BoB so much was my youngest was the same age as Kyra when I read it and just as precocious. Plus, the whole child custody angle is my bread and butter.
    I still call bathing suits "suity"

"gotta make sure I pack my suity to go to Denver this weekend"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

don't forget your lunchables

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL
    A toad - Toad of Toad Hall...he was the best part!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL
    A toad - Toad of Toad Hall...he was the best part!
    yes, I remember him, too! I also remember that I learned the word otter from there... which lived dormant inside me for about 20 years before I finally needed it to identify
    Spoiler:
    Hermione's patronus

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never finished the Lord of the Flies. *hides behind a tree*

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Nikolett, I adore you. This is one of the books I hate with all my heart.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Nikolett, I adore you. This is one of the books I hate with all my heart.
    Are you serious? *big happy sigh* Does it mean I am not a monster?

Country
    Country Flag

It might mean we both are.

Country
    Country Flag

It might mean we both are.
    If you are, too.. I don't mind being one. See?

Country
    Country Flag

we as two monsters:

Country
    Country Flag

we as two monsters:

You know what?
    We are lucky.
    And beautiful.

Anyway. You know how much I am interested in everything that you are. So, why didn't you like this book? Moreover you have said you can't stand it.

Country
    Country Flag

I will try, with time, ok? Now I am so engrossed in HP7 that I really wouldn't like to think of a book I , as you correctly said, can't stand. I would love to hear your reasons, though.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I see. Take your time, dearest Jean. Sometimes it's good to wait. I cannot wait to know your view.
    (I remember somewhere Fruno said it's his favourite book.)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it okay, didn't really pick up the "deep meaning" side of it because I tend to be shallow like puddle.

As far as suspense and "what's going to happen to these poor boys" it was worth the read.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

"what's going to happen to these poor boys" ??? I like it.

My Mood
    Angelic

The drift of this thread makes me wonder if there's one for books we absolutely hate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast