Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Atlantis by David Gibbons.

I picked it up cheap and it is the only book i have never finished!
    It got bogged down too much in technical details about equipment etc. Plus boring characters, bad dialogue and when I finally gave up I just couldn't care less about what was going to happen in the end.

Just truly awful.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Half...it just didn't do it for me. I tried picking it back up a few years later and I was like meh, fuck this. The weakest King book I've ever read.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The more I think about it, the fact that there is one book I've never been able to finish--Moby Dick. As an English major and occasional English high school teacher, this book just is terrible!

John

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah the only thing I was never able to complete was Paradise Lost by Milton.

yech!

I did have a hard time finishing My Pretty Pony!

Delores Claiborne was a tough read the first couple times I just couldn't get into the writing style. Then I listened to the audio book version and had no problem whatsoever! ????
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger Apprentice ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I could never manage to slog through THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand...but then, judging by what I've heard from those who have, I may not have missed much.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Before reading this thread, I would have said I always plow through a book, even when I wish I could put it down, but I have some books in common with other forumites here I have never been able to slosh through.

I have wanted to read Moby Dick, have read about why its such a great novel and I actually like the theme of the book and the back drop. Have not been able to get through 50 pages of it though. To be fair, I have not tried in a few years, maybe I should retry. I think I tried it as a teenager and the material was beyond my little experiences then.

I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged as a teen, and 2012 was pretty good also, but I have never been able to get into The Fountainhead. I have tried twice and at least one time I made it through 50 pages. Meh.

I loved the Dune movie, but never made it through the book. Guess that is another one to re-try. I don't think I followed the Brautigan rule and did not make it through 50 pages to be fair.

I was surprised to see dislike for The Scarlet Letter. I hated it when I had to read it for English lit, but I reread it another time and liked it. I loved The Crucible. I love anything by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, and am surprised to see folks find him hard to read. Ditto for American Gods, I could not put that one down!

Books I made it through and wished I had not wasted my time: Sword Of Shennarah by Terry Goodkind? Waste of my life I will never get back. It was just suspenseful enough I kept thinking it would get good, but it was like a bad knock off of LoTR.

Another one was the damn Taltos by Anne Rice. I loved all her vampire stuff but the "walking babies" was just ridiculous. I was like, WTF? I was mad at myself for finishing that one--not worth the paper it was printed on, not even for Toilet paper or kindling.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There have been a two this year and I can't imagine I'll ever want to give them another try:

John Scalzi - Redshirts
    Neal Stephenson - The Big U

I really wanted to like Redshirts but the language was just so corny. He kept trying to sound cool and have this quick and smart dialogue and it just felt phony. Scalzi is great at S.F., and his Old Man's War trilogy will be considered a classic years from now but this psedo-quirkiness isn't doing it for me.

The Big U has the same problem but at least it was funny. The problem was it felt like I was reading Catch 22. Seeing I've already read Catch 22, I dropped it and moved on to something new.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The scarlet letter rules, I've read it.twice.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I thought so hard to answer this question. There is no book I didn't/couldn't finish except my text books. This is too bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13