Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How will YOU be defined?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

^

Wanker is a bit more hardcore than idiot, like, if someone accidentally walked into something you'd call them a wally - but if someone purposely bumped you you'd call them a wanker.

When you think of what wanker really means, I don't know how it got to be an insult seeing as pretty much all blokes are anyway But its a good word...that and bollocks...good old british slang!

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

...and bob's your uncle.

My buddy is from Bath, er Bath Upon Avon (I think).

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bath is lush!!! Have you ever been? I'm about 30 miles from there.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

No, not yet anyway. When he goes back to visit his dad, a bunch of us are planning on going with him so he can show us his hometown. The funny thing is he says he's lost his accent (not to us americans) but than his best mate came over to visit and I didn't understand a singe word for about an hour. Then I started clueing in on the slang.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

plus most people round here are a bit "ooo arrr!" as in broad country accents, similar to how SK describes Maine accents in a way. When I first moved here from another county I didn't always have a clue what people were on about - slang varies from region to region.

You should give me a heads up if you ever make it over and I'll join you for a beer

My Mood
    Amused

Will do. Bass, Boddingtons and Strongbow are my favs so far. Well, imported under U.S. standards.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Boddy is nice! Worthingtons is similar and good too. As for cider I prefer Westons to Strongbow, but I'm not sure they export it anywhere. Its made in Somerset on a smaller scale without using chemicals and stuff you get in the bigger brands. Plus their Scrumpy knocks your socks off

My Mood
    Amused

I was more of an Irish fan (well let me repeat, most is imported to the U.S., so I know I'm missing out on some really good brew) Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's (or smit-icks). I have been to Ireland (mainly Dublin) and Oh what a difference in taste. The funny thing is, damn, can't ever get away from Budweiser!! It's everywhere!!

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A couple of local radio DJ's over here have been in hollywood doing a show or something and interviewing people and the way they describe the language barrier is hilarious. At US customs, the guy asked

"Whats the purpose of your visit?"
    "A radio show."
    "Radiation?!?"
    "No, I said radio.."
    "IT IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY ANY KIND OF RADIOACTIVE SUBSTANCE INTO THE .."

etc

They said its hard not to incorporate slang that we use every day and obviously most americans dont know what they mean and then repeat the slang back in a toff accent and add a "shine ya shoes guvna" at the end.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Amused

LOL....
    I've picked up random slang from my buddy. I no longer refer to my apartment or house or roomates as such, now it's my flat, and they're my flatmates. Generally when I speak now, I use mates instead of friends.

And on occasion, telling people about an event, I usually paraphrase and end it with " and bobs your uncle."

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sergio --

[noun]:

An immortal
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I will be defined by the number of satisfied ewes.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2