Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to: Add info in posts (links, pics, videos, etc.)

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default How to: Add info in posts (links, pics, videos, etc.)

I've seen lots of members ask how to include "stuff" in their posts, so I figured I'd add a thread! I remember being confused about this when I joined, too. I use Internet Explorer, by the way, so I'm not sure if these steps will work for other browsers or for Mac users. Mods, please feel free to correct or add anything!

This may look complicated, but it's really really simple! (I'm just a little too detailed sometimes!) Once you do it a few times, you'll be a pro.

First, just a comment: If you want to check out what your post will look like before you actually post it, click on the "Go Advanced" button. This will let you preview it before you actually post it by clicking the "Preview Post" button. You don't have to be in Advanced mode to add links, pics, etc. - only if you want to verify what it looks like before submitting.

Links to other websites or web pages
    1. The simplest way to add a link is to just type it in the text of your post (i.e., www.thedarktower.org), but you need to be sure to include the www at the beginning for the link to work.
    2. If you're on the web page you want to link, follow the steps below.
      • Click on the url in the address bar to highlight it in full. You can either right click and select copy OR use your keyboard by holding down the Ctrl key then hitting C.
      • Go to the message window where you're typing your post and click on the "Insert Link" icon (it's the little "globe" one highlighted below).
      • In the popup window, put your cursor over the url. You can either right click and select paste OR use your keyboard by holding down the Ctrl key then hitting V.
      • Click OK and you'll see the url in the post you're creating.
      • It will look like your url will be posted twice, but notice how the second one is highlighted. If you want the actual url verbiage to show in your post, you're done! Here's what your post would look like.
      • If, however, you'd like to replace the actual url verbiage with something else, while the text in your post is still highlighted, type what you want to actually post. What you type will replace the highlighted second url and will be the verbiage that shows up in your post.
      • Here's what this version of the same post would look like. Clicking on either version would take you to the same page.

Videos from YouTube
    Click the insert video icon and paste the YouTube video URL into the box and click ok.
    Pictures or non-TDT.com smilies
    You have a few options here depending on the picture source. First of all, you can't add a pic that's stored directly on your computer. You'll need to open an online account (i.e., www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com) or import them into your gallery here on TDT.com to include them in a post.
    1. If your picture is included on a web page (including those here in your TDT.com gallery), you'll need to find the url for the picture/image source. By that I mean that if it's on a web page to go to the source of the picture itself - not the web page that includes it.
      • You can find it by right clicking on the picture in the web page and clicking Properties.
      • Highlight the url from the picture Properties and copy it into a new window to confirm that it's just the pic. Some websites have restrictions and either redirect the window or won't allow you to access the source. This will also show you the true size of the picture itself.
      • Once confirmed, copy the url as outlined above in the Links section but instead of using the "Insert Link" button, use the "Insert Image" button (it's the landscape-looking one highlighted below.
      • You'll get a popup window just like when adding a link. Paste the url in the window and click OK. This adds image tags at the beginning and end of your url.
      • You can also just paste the url directly into your post and manually add the image tags at the beginning and end: [ IMG] at the beginning and [ /IMG] at the end (you'll need to remove the spaces).
    2. If you're using an image posted on Photobucket, they've already provided you with code that includes the image tags. Simply click on the IMG Code field, copy it, and paste it directly into your post. You'll get the same result as in the step above.
    3. One thing to remember about any pic you post is that if it's moved or renamed, it won't work any more. If you've created an online account with Photobucket or ImageShack or have uploaded pictures to your TDT.com gallery, don't move them or give them new names after you've posted them!
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 12-26-2010 at 06:25 AM.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to George at C-Springs for this tutorial:

Instructions for Posting Photos to Gallery and then to Thread, with Screen Shots
    1. Sign In.

2. Click Gallery

3. Click Upload Photos

4. Click Choose File

5. Navigate to the photo that you'd like to use, then either double-click on it or single click on it and then click Open

6. Verify you've chosen the correct file, then click Upload/Submit

7. It'll display "Processing Upload... Please Wait!"

8. If the file you've tried to load is not in the correct format (jpeg, jpg, png, gif), or if the file size is too large, you'll get a fault screen or white screen. If that happens, check your file extension or reduce the size of your file; once fixed, go back to step 4 and try again.

9. If successful, you'll see the photo you uploaded and then below it several links.

10. Right click on whichever one you'd like to use, then click Copy.

11. In whatever thread you're posting to, right click in the white box at bottom of screen and then click Paste. (No need to use the "Insert Image" icon when doing it this way.) When all done, click Post Quick Reply.

Last edited by Randall Flagg; 09-08-2020 at 09:35 AM.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent work. Wow. Thanks a lot.

Roland would have understood.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, guys - just hope it's useful!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very useful, thanks so much for doing it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But... now that it is in the .com gallery, how to put it into a post?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Library Thing Link in Signature

I recently started a book collection on Library Thing and I was wondering how you put this link in your signature?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You should be able to edit your signature in the UserCP, option is on the left, you should be able to just paste it in there.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Bump

Traveler SummitVisions is on a distinguished road SummitVisions's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Bump
    There are no stupid questions, right?

So why are there occasionally posts with just this one word (BUMP) in them?

SV

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

BUMP is in a post to "bump" the topic to the top of the queue, so that people will see it and possibly respond. It's generally reserved for threads that might have gotten missed in the shuffle in a popular section of the board. It's also used by management to see if a thread it worth keeping or merging/moving to archive - if no one (or very few people) respond to the bump, then we know the thread has run its course and can be moved/merged/archived accordingly.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SummitVisions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Bump
    There are no stupid questions, right?
    Well, until early this morning there hadn't been. There may however be a need to reevaluate this stance.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for taking the time to do this qsvec!It is a big help and you detailed it nicely.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Instructional video on embedding a youtube video:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We just changed the code so that high definition videos will be shown in the correct 16x9 ratio!

http://www.vbteam.info/vb-4-0-addons...mbed-code.html

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok.. how the hell do one upload a picture from their laptop on this board?
    There is the tool to upload from another website (quite useless if you ask me...) but it doesnt allow to upload from the laptop (useless too)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    There is the tool to upload from another website (quite useless if you ask me...) but it doesnt allow to upload from the laptop (useless too)
    The picture has to be hosted by some service-imageshak, etc.
    You could also upload the photo to you personal gallery, then right click on the image to "copy image location".

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

All nude photo should be sent to me for review, first.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The picture has to be hosted by some service-imageshak, etc.
    You could also upload the photo to you personal gallery, then right click on the image to "copy image location".

Please dont take it as an offense to you (it's related to vBulletin), but what is the interest of "uploading" the picture to the system if it's already online and you can insert it from there? (from a user point of view, because i cant see a reason for SEO)

Personal gallery : ok, i forgot about this :-) (edit : that's good to have the html code, but as the forum doesnt accept it, having the forum code (bbcode) would be helpful)

Thanks for your answer
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know where else to post this but I have a pet peeve about folks here replying to a post with an image or series of images only to say, 'fantastic!' or 'looks great!' Can't we implement a policy where all images in replies are spoiler tagged? Am I the only one bothered by this?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't really bother me much, especially if the item(s) being talked about are on a previous page.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I don't know where else to post this but I have a pet peeve about folks here replying to a post with an image or series of images only to say, 'fantastic!' or 'looks great!' Can't we implement a policy where all images in replies are spoiler tagged? Am I the only one bothered by this?
    It does get bothersome. Not sure if we need to "MAKE A RULE", but it is something to be suggested.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I apologize in advance. I am not really sure what you are referring to. You mean if someone posts their latest acquisition and everyone "replys" to the post re-quoting it? If so, I get what you mean and will refrain from so doing.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I just wanted to see how others felt. I realize it's not something that people would stick to 100% but maybe cut it down some.

I agree that when the next page starts it would make sense to show what pics one is referring to so you don't have to go back.

Thanks for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast