Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Roland: Saved or Damned?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saved: the next loop is the last before final salvation

65 44.83%
  • Saved: after a number of loops

29 20.00%
  • Saved (neither of the above: give your own version)

11 7.59%
  • Damned: the next loop is the last before final damnation

1 0.69%
  • Damned: stuck in the eternal loop forever

32 22.07%
  • Damned (neither of the above: give your own version)

7 4.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Roland: Saved or Damned?

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I am wondering what the definitions of "saved" and "damned" are as far as this thread is concerned. What does it mean for Roland to be saved? If him having to live means being damned (because of the pain and suffering of his life and experience itself) and thus repeating it means being damned, then to be saved would mean he would have to die and not loop back to the beginning. Maybe Roland had enough good experiences in his life to not be damned if he has to loop his life forever. Maybe he is both saved and damned to have pain and suffering AND good experiences (like love and pleasure) in an eternal loop, or even in a loop that eventually ends.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The loop is infinite, he doesn't change because it is not in his nature to make a drastic change. The quest is part of his soul. Can't change a soul.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

saved

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Gunslinger Apprentice Shawn will become famous soon enough Shawn's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

He is dammed forever on the loop..it may change but he will continue on toward the tower no matter what and reach it and start over again and again
    I want him to be be saved in my heart of hearts but i dont see that first it would have to be written in and second thats what he does

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    The loop is infinite, he doesn't change because it is not in his nature to make a drastic change.
    Drastic changes, no, but he can and does change a little, bit by bit. It's all accumulative, so I think he still may eventually stop looping, but he likely has many more to go.

The quest is part of his soul. Can't change a soul.
    While I agree that the quest is part of his soul, I disagree with the second sentence. I think it's possible that he will never change that part of his soul*, but not that a soul cannot be changed. The soul is the essence of a person, and people change all the time.

*This makes me think of King's statement at the end when he warns the Reader about going forward, that journeying is better than an ending. While he is addressing us readers, could that also be true for Roland? Is his his quest itself his salvation if it's part of him? If he finally gets his ending - i.e. the loops stop, will it be all he hoped for? We don't know he'll find heaven at the end after all.

I never quite thought of it that way before. I don't think it's what King was implying but it's food for thought. And I think and ending would just be a new beginning too, if you forgive me for going into cliché mode.

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

Neither. Not yet. Story is not yet finished.

Traveler SDZald will become famous soon enough SDZald will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Saved

As I have said in another thread, Roland's Job was never to enter the Tower but to save it. Well he did it but had to totally sacrifice everything to get the job done. Gan took mercy on him and sent him back to a time where he could find personal salvation by saving Jake and being with the others. But wait you say if he does that then how can he then save the Tower. Ummmmm well remember the Tower is the Keystone world and only travels one way, no going back in time. The world Roland went to upon entering that door could NOT have been the Keystone world. Therefore anything he does will NOT affect the Tower because he has already saved it in the "real time line" Roland with the aid of the horn will come to understand this, thus he can save Jake, he can keep them all alive and together.

I would like to say that I don't think any of your ideas are wrong, in fact they are all correct, how can that be you ask? Well the way King ended the story he lets us all wright our own personal ending to Roland's journey. I was certainly NOT happy with the last book, but the way the story ended could NOT be better. He let each and everyone of us decide Roland's fate. For that Mr. King I say Thank You!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12