Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Roland: Saved or Damned?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saved: the next loop is the last before final salvation

65 44.83%
  • Saved: after a number of loops

29 20.00%
  • Saved (neither of the above: give your own version)

11 7.59%
  • Damned: the next loop is the last before final damnation

1 0.69%
  • Damned: stuck in the eternal loop forever

32 22.07%
  • Damned (neither of the above: give your own version)

7 4.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Roland: Saved or Damned?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've merged this thread with the main "Saved or damned" thread, because it's discussing the exact same thing

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

And I still won't vote bc despite my feeling that he is going to loop eternally, I don't think of it as damnation.

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Roland is dammed forever until he does what his arch rival has bid him to do from the very beginning. "Renounce the Tower."
    I think apart of the test for the Tower is also to forgive and forget, and in so Roland must forgive Flagg for what he has done in his past, and abide by his warning or face the consequence, stuck on the Loop for all eternity.
    Sure he can save the beams, but if he saves the beams, his job is done, he doesn't need to go to the Tower....I think not reaching the Tower is actually apart of his test also.

So he is stuck on the Loop until he renounces the Tower me thinks (:

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Damned: stuck in the eternal loop forever
    Same reasons.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like you've done a few merges and edits since I been gone, Darkthoughts. I really like the way you've handled them, for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    And I still won't vote bc despite my feeling that he is going to loop eternally, I don't think of it as damnation.
    Well, we were also discussing the nature of God, and Gan's motives, before the merge. I guess this topic ties strongly, as well, to theTown Commons thread Gan = God? and to razz's "What's Roland's salvation?" thread right in this forum.

Honestly, I haven't voted here either, not because I differ on the premise of damnation, but just 'cause I'm unsure what to make from Jean's options.

This one's sure a thinker.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Looks like you've done a few merges and edits since I been gone, Darkthoughts. I really like the way you've handled them, for the most part.
    Thanks I tried to err on the side of caution, but merging is very more-ish

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Er, I didn't really know how to vote. I said Saved because we already know that he can overcome his killer instinct and become human again. But I don't think the journey will ever end for Roland, so in a way Damned. I think he is as important to the worlds as the tower.

As the wheel of Ka spins, Roland travels. As Roland travels, Ka spins. If Roland stops (dies or finds salvation) Ka stops and the worlds end. All falls into Todash darkness.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bumbler19 is on a distinguished road

My answer is neither saved nor damned, at least not yet...

If you read the comics (they weren't written by Stephen King, but they are OK'd by him) At the end of each issue there are basically mid-world history lessons...

and i quote the last paragraph

Spoiler:
    "But ka is a wheel and as it turns, even the fortunes of the wicked must change. Crouched in his cave, staring into his scrying crystal, Maerlyn had a vision that disturbed him. Based on that vision, he made a prophecy to the Crimson Queen. Her offspring would thrive spreading a new kind of chaos throughout the multiple worlds. Yet one day a human kinsman would arise to challenge him. Though mortal, this child of Eld would darkle and tinct like a creature of magic. He would pursue the servants of the Prim from century to century and from one level of reality to another. This human child would be named Roland, and he would be the Tower's final champion. As a warrior of the White, he would destroy the Outer Dark. Unless he was destroyed, he would kill the Crimson Prince and rein in the power of the Prim Forever.

Crimson Prince = Crimson King

Spoiler:
    Anyway, reading that paragraph it says that Roland basically needs to climb each level of reality destroying the outer dark(The prim baddies), and finally he needs to actually kill the Crimson King not just erase his body and leave his eyes. Then it will all end! and Roland will rein over everything!!!

So he is neither saved, nor damned, he is merely still on his way!
    Last edited by Bumbler19; 01-28-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: put spoiler tags around the comic parts.... i guess they belong in spoiler tags XD

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler19 View Post
    So he is neither saved, nor damned, he is merely still on his way!
    That's a good way of putting it. He may be "on his way" but do you think he ever arrives at the destination? I say no. I still think that if Ka is a wheel, Roland and the tower are the axle.

Hmm I never thought of Roland as an Axle

Well maybe he isn't so much of an Axle as a permanent guardian because he has no child of his own (besides Mordred) and he is the last gunslinger, he is charged to continuously protect the tower by himself. As it is those of the line of Eld's sworn duty, to protect the tower.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bumbler19 - I really like your observations from the comics. I'd noticed something similar in The Gunslinger Born #1. In the backstory there it says:
    Spoiler:
    Each of it's [The Tower] narrow twisting stairways led to a different level of creation - a distant time period, an alternative reality, even a completely unimagined and unimaginable version of now. Our other selves, which Vannay called our twinners, existed in these alternative worlds.

So I'm wondering if Roland won't be redeemed until he saves the Tower in every world. So, each time he loops, he's doing so on a slightly different level of the Tower?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    So, each time he loops, he's doing so on a slightly different level of the Tower?
    I say yes. I always think that the number 19 has some sort of parallel to what repetition Roland is on. I like to think that at the end of the epilogue he starts number 20. So maybe this time the number left by Walter in Tull is 20. And taht number is significantly prevalent this time around.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Bumbler19 - I really like your observations from the comics. I'd noticed something similar in The Gunslinger Born #1. In the backstory there it says:
    Spoiler:
    Each of it's [The Tower] narrow twisting stairways led to a different level of creation - a distant time period, an alternative reality, even a completely unimagined and unimaginable version of now. Our other selves, which Vannay called our twinners, existed in these alternative worlds.

So I'm wondering if Roland won't be redeemed until he saves the Tower in every world. So, each time he loops, he's doing so on a slightly different level of the Tower?
    yup, i've been thinking about that exact thing myself.

I say yes. I always think that the number 19 has some sort of parallel to what repetition Roland is on. I like to think that at the end of the epilogue he starts number 20. So maybe this time the number left by Walter in Tull is 20. And taht number is significantly prevalent this time around.
    Quite definitely a possibility, but who is to say for sure ya know?

Country
    Country Flag

Of course, Bumbler. It's all speculation: my own supposed appendix to the series. Unless of course I was actually SK marauding as a Dark Tower Fan.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't even go there!

Traveler megaknight is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I believe that roland and his entire ka-tet (including those from his past, so jamie, cuthbert and alain must also come to the tower) must make it to the tower in order for him to break free of the loop. I also believe that SK skipped to the mohaine desert when really roland begins his life from the point where he saw the tower in maerlyn's grapefruit, as that is where his quest began. He must protect his Ka tet and keep them alive to continue on after reaching the tower.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, this might be better suited to our "That Thing..." thread, but what about the line that says that he is not sent back to very beginning, when things could still have been different?

Traveler megaknight is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, this might be better suited to our "That Thing..." thread, but what about the line that says that he is not sent back to very beginning, when things could still have been different?
    he is not ready to be sent back to the beginning, as he has not proven worthy enough to change what happened.

Traveler mikatile is on a distinguished road mikatile's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dont you think its posible that Roland is actualy a part of the tower, a kind of keystone that holds time in place, and it is therefore necesary for him to complete his quest in-perpetua in order to maintain the fabric of the universe.Maybe on some level he is aware, Roland states several times that he is allready damned. Its paradoxical that the choices Roland does make are necesary for him to reach the tower, if he had'nt sacraficed Jake, would he have had his palaver with Flag, and would the events necesary for him to reach the tower have been set in motion. It reminds me of a quote i once read...looking for the answer, "its like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat, that is'nt there". Its a good discusion point, but I doubt even Mr King has a solid resolution.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's some catch, that Catch-22.
    If Roland's quest for salvation is exactly what keeps him in damnation, then the question becomes whether maintaining the fabric of the universe is, itself, really necessary.
    "The necessity for one thing to happen because another thing has happened does not exist. There is only logical necessity."
    -- L. Wittgenstein,
    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe anyone's salvation is in what he is, not what he does. What he does, though, has its roots in what he is, so his quest isn't entirely foreign to the matter. I always thought, though, that it's all about Roland rather than the universe; the saving of the universe is instrumental in his salvation, but 1) not sufficient - and, perhaps, not necessary - for it; 2) the same principle doesn't work the other way.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I believe anyone's salvation is in what he is...
    "salavation"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...I always thought, though, that it's all about Roland rather than the universe; the saving of the universe is instrumental in his salvation, but 1) not sufficient - and, perhaps, not necessary - for it; 2) the same principle doesn't work the other way.
    Can you prove that?
    Even if it is true, changes to the basic order of the universe might result if Roland ceased.

mikatile: One of the Buddha's Four Noble Truths is that it is possible to escape from suffering. When he first said that, it was big news.

I don't know about megaknight, but I do think that what you've described is possible. However, the idea always leads me, first, to a question which has been asked on this thread before: Why would Gan do that?

Traveler LastGuns1nger is on a distinguished road LastGuns1nger's Avatar

Default Ka is a wheel

that Roland has traveled longer than any of us can imagine
    i believe everytime he gets closer to the end
    and now its his final round on the wheel
    and the tower knows that he serves it
    and protects it
    he shall find salvation
    Long days and Pleasant nights

Traveler mikatile is on a distinguished road mikatile's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LastGuns1nger View Post
    that Roland has traveled longer than any of us can imagine
    i believe everytime he gets closer to the end
    and now its his final round on the wheel
    and the tower knows that he serves it
    and protects it
    he shall find salvation
    There is the theory that the cycle is the 18th time Roland has been around the wheel, and now that he has the Horn of Eld, this will be his final time, and he will finaly be allowed to enter the clearing, I like this theory. In Brownings poem Roland blows the Horn when he reaches the tower, but it says nothing of him actually entering the tower, I think that Roland realises that saving the beam is enough, and entering the tower is not necesary. In other words he realises- curiosity killed the cat.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikatile View Post
    Dont you think its posible that Roland is actualy a part of the tower, a kind of keystone that holds time in place, and it is therefore necesary for him to complete his quest in-perpetua in order to maintain the fabric of the universe.Maybe on some level he is aware, Roland states several times that he is allready damned. Its paradoxical that the choices Roland does make are necesary for him to reach the tower, if he had'nt sacraficed Jake, would he have had his palaver with Flag, and would the events necesary for him to reach the tower have been set in motion. It reminds me of a quote i once read...looking for the answer, "its like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat, that is'nt there". Its a good discusion point, but I doubt even Mr King has a solid resolution.
    For my part I am absolutely sure that Roland can reach the Tower without sacraficing Jake. Sometimes when you think or feel something is oh so necessary it only comes from you.

Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast