Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Oscars! Who should win what?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Oscars have been a ratings dud in recent years.

One way to make sure there are more viewers this year will be to nominate actors from films that were big at the box office. This is one reason I think Downey will get nominated. I also think that's why Dark Knight will get nominated. Plus, it deserves it.

I've heard so much about Slumdog Millionaire, but I must admit the trailer does nothing for me. I officially have zero interest in that film. Maybe I'll see it when it comes to dvd and be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also sad to see Burn After Reading on the top ten films of the year list. It was easily one of the more disappointing films I've seen in a long time.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I've heard nothing but good things about Slumdog as well.. but to be honest, it looks far too "feel good" to me.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about Slumdog as well.. but to be honest, it looks far too "feel good" to me.
    That's pretty much why I have little interest in seeing it as well despite the good reviews I've read.

My Mood
    Gay

Um, WALL-E over The Dark Knight... Hunh?

The Los Angeles Film Critics Association has gone populist on its picks for best movies of 2008, with the animated smash "WALL-E" at No. 1 and the Batman flick "The Dark Knight" as runnerup.

The group's honors Tuesday include Sean Penn as best actor for "Milk" and Sally Hawkins as best actress for "Happy-Go-Lucky."

The late Heath Ledger is the critics' supporting-actor winner for his role as the Joker in "The Dark Knight." Penelope Cruz is the group's supporting-actress choice for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Danny Boyle has won the directing honor for "Slumdog Millionaire," while "Happy-Go-Lucky" also is the screenplay winner for Mike Leigh.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it funny how The Dark Knight obliterated every other movie in the box office, yet the academy keeps brushing it off as just another comic book movie?

F'n idiots

My Mood
    Gay

NY Film Critics Chime In - Dark Knight SHUTOUT !! Even Heath?!? HUNH?!?!

Sean Penn and "Milk," Gus Van Sant's biopic about gay rights leader Harvey Milk, continued to gain awards momentum Wednesday, winning best film from the New York Film Critics Circle.

Penn was chosen as best actor for his performance in the lauded film about Milk, the openly gay San Francisco politician who was assassinated in 1978. Josh Brolin won best supporting actor for his performance in the film.

On Tuesday, Penn was chosen as best actor by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. "Milk" also leads the Broadcast Film Critics Association with eight nominations, tied for the most with "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Like their West Coast brethren, the New York critics picked Sally Hawkins for best actress for her performance in Mike Leigh's "Happy-Go-Lucky." Best director went to Leigh.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It was nice to see Robert Downey Jr. get nominated for a Golden Globe for Tropic Thunder. I think that might be a good sign that he could get nominated for an Oscar. It was very surprising to see Tom Cruise get nominated as well. I'm sure both noms made all the Tropic Thunder haters scratch their heads.

I must say I'm a tad worried about The Dark Knight all of a sudden. No Golden Globe nom for best picture was surprising and is not a good omen for an Oscar nod.

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in a bunch of the films that are getting a lot of awards buzz, including Slumdog, The Reader and Revolutionary Road.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Gay

No way is Dark Knight a gaurantee - except for Heath. I would be completely 100% shocked if he isn't nominated.

With regards to the Golden Globes though, keep in mind - the Globe Nominees and Awards are based on the ballots of, like, 85 people. TOTAL. 85.

Don't be too panic'd yet. However, don't bet the farm on any big hits for TDK either.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I go to the movies once or twice a week and I just got back from seeing Milk. I have to say that Sean Penn's performance is the most powerful one I've seen this year. I've heard a lot about Slumdog Millionaire, but still haven't seen it (maybe tomorrow).

My Mood
    Gay

I plan on seeing Milk as soon as it comes to a theater anywhere near me. The money is on Penn for Best Actor.

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I plan on seeing Milk as soon as it comes to a theater anywhere near me. The money is on Penn for Best Actor.
    I'll be rooting for Josh Brolin.

My Mood
    Gay

I feel it will be a big contest between Josh Brolin and Heath Ledger... also, if Philip Seymour Hoffman gets nominated for Best Supporing for Doubt... those are three VERY strong performances. I'd initially heard some good thing about Emile Hirsh for Best Supporting as well, for Milk.

That looks to be the strongest category.

I'm hoping to get a chance to see Milk in the theatre. It's hard to get to the movies anymore with a baby, but I'd like to see that one without having to wait for the DVD.

I think I'd pick Ledger over Brolin. Ledger made the Dark Knight, but that isn't the case with Brolin and Milk. Brolin also had a lot less screen time in the movie.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it. I'm lucky, in this regard, that I live in a college town and have four indy theaters to go to.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I'm hoping to get a chance to see Milk in the theatre. It's hard to get to the movies anymore with a baby, but I'd like to see that one without having to wait for the DVD.
    Once the nominations are out - I think they'll roll Milk out with wider distribution. Right now, they're relying on word of mouth and mostly art-houses.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I think I'd pick Ledger over Brolin. Ledger made the Dark Knight, but that isn't the case with Brolin and Milk. Brolin also had a lot less screen time in the movie.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it. I'm lucky, in this regard, that I live in a college town and have four indy theaters to go to.
    The thing to remember though, is that the category is supporting! Actually, the actual award is Best Actor In A Supporting Role.

I am looking forward to the awards this year, I think there will be a lot of good categories.

Best Actress is picking up as well.

yes, I know. Penn didn't need Brolin's support, Bale absolutely did. Milk would have still been a fine movie even if all we saw of Brolin's character was the inevitable ending. Honestly, I was really surprised that Brolin was nominated. Franco was much more peripherally engaging.

Once the nominations are out - I think they'll roll Milk out with wider distribution. Right now, they're relying on word of mouth and mostly art-houses.
    It's not a matter of screenings available so much as it is an inability to go to the movies having a 6 month old baby. We haven't been to a movie since Ella was born. Of course, it's unlikely we'd have gone anyway as there hasn't been anything in that time we'd have wanted to see.

My Mood
    Gay

Speaking as a tried and true babysitter ( who relied on nice folks like you to pay me and therefore support my youthful movie going ) .... gosh, man, hire a babysitter! Go out. Enjoy the evening with your lovely wife! It's Oscar season. Eventually, something will be out there that you want to see.

Country
    Country Flag

Don't you think Ledger would be a nominee for the supporting role?

Everybody was raving about Bardem's performance in No Country for Old Men, but for me it was Brolin who did the best job in that film.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? Brolin did a fine job, but Bardem just blew everybody out of the water.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

Everybody was raving about Bardem's performance in No Country for Old Men, but for me it was Brolin who did the best job in that film.
    Hell no! He wasn't supporting actor. He was the lead. They just didn't want to upset whoever that dude was who played that Batman guy by telling him so.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So did you finally watch the entire movie, Brice?

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

I think, without a doubt, that Heath will be nominated for Best Actor in A Supporting Role. Without a doubt! IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Really? Brolin did a fine job, but Bardem just blew everybody out of the water.
    I'm going to have to agree with Django here. I thought Brolin was just outstanding in No Country. I thought be was better than Bardem, who I got bored with after a while. Caveat here, though, I wasn't completely thrilled with the whole movie either. I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hell no! He wasn't supporting actor. He was the lead. They just didn't want to upset whoever that dude was who played that Batman guy by telling him so.
    If he does get a nomination, I'm sure it'll be for a supporting role. And if he does get nominated he will most certainly win it - who can compare to a young dead star. Not that he doesn't deserve it, though. He did a hell of a job there.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.
    Fargo never clicked for me. And their undisputed masterpiece (and presumably the best movie ever made) is no doubt The Big Lebowski.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast