Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roland's Mother

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Default Roland's Mother

Roland's "mother was a beloved stranger" on page 224 of my version of the Gunslinger.

I guess I started this thread because I don't understand this statement. Was she not involved in Roland's life after him being a child? If this is true, what the hell was she doing?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

And what did she mean by "go and find your hand"?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Roland's "mother was a beloved stranger" on page 224 of my version of the Gunslinger.

I guess I started this thread because I don't understand this statement. Was she not involved in Roland's life after him being a child? If this is true, what the hell was she doing?
    Because they spent little time together. Most of his days would have been involved in his gunslinger training, I think.

And what did she mean by "go and find your hand"?
    Didn't Marten say that? And if you think really hard on it you should be able to figure it out.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

I thought go and find your hand was more like go and face your future but maybe I misunderstood that.

Also, there is mention that Roland's mother was "locked root and rind to the holder and wielder of that power". I was wondering if SK was referring to the affair solely or solely Marten's powers. Although locked root and rind is a phrase I've never heard of before, and I thought that was interesting too.

There is also mention of Roland's father being the last Lord of light; does this mean he had powers too?

(post 2000, year I graduated from high school w00t)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought go and find your hand was more like go and face your future but maybe I misunderstood that.
    I think you should think harder on it...maybe a full reread even.

Also, there is mention that Roland's mother was "locked root and rind to the holder and wielder of that power". I was wondering if SK was referring to the affair solely or solely Marten's powers. Although locked root and rind is a phrase I've never heard of before, and I thought that was interesting too.
    I think he was just making a euphemism for how captivated she was by Marten. I don't think that would have needed (but could have) involved any glammer.

There is also mention of Roland's father being the last Lord of light; does this mean he had powers too?

I think it was just an expression to represent him being the last of Eld's line. No, I don't think Steven had any special powers.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

*sighs* No special powers? But how is he supposed to be a super-hero then?

My Mood
    Worried

It was his mom that said the "find your hand thing" but Marten's the one who said that Roland had business on the roof.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was his mom that said the "find your hand thing" but Marten's the one who said that Roland had business on the roof.
    Unh-uh!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gunslinger

Marten stopped smiling abruptly. "You can go to the roof now, boy. I believe you have business there."
    But Marten had misunderstood, underestimated. They had been speaking in the low tongue, a parody of informality. But now the boy flashed into High Speech: "My mother has not yet dismissed me bondsman!"
    Marten's face twisted as if quirt-lashed. The boy heard his mother's dreadful, woeful gasp. She spoke his name.
    But the painful smile remained intact on the boy's face and he stepped forward.
    "Will you give me a sign of fealty, bondsman? In the name of my father whom you serve?"
    Marten stared at him rankly, unbelieving.
    "Go," Marten said gently. Go and find your hand."
    Smiling the boy went.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

well I can't be right all the time

So in this context, Marten was goading Roland to take his test?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, he was basically saying go play with yourself.

But, yes he was also doing that.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

*I* missed a sexual reference? How shocking!!!!

See, me trying to read too much depth into it, and he's just making a naughty comment!!!!!

My Mood
    Worried

So what did Roland's ma do with her life? Anything? or just screw people?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it was both a goading and a means of Marten telling him that.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

No wonder young Roland was so pissed.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I mean she wasn't a total fucking ho. It was just Marten so far as we know. The story really tells us very little of Gabrielle's life though...just glimpses.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No wonder young Roland was so pissed.
    And in anticipation of your next question...the story doesn't tell us if Roland actually went and found his hand.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

No he
    Spoiler:
    loses it later in the next book... or at least parts of it!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, I mean she wasn't a total fucking ho. It was just Marten so far as we know. The story really tells us very little of Gabrielle's life though...just glimpses.
    I dont know that the ladies of the court would do much of anything, really. They would have servants and maids, and likely not have any official duties aside from socializing and entertaining.
    ~shrug~
    I wish we knew more from the stories, but we havent been told much of anything about Gabrielle, like Brice said.
    Maybe we'll get more from the comic book stories. I hope so.

My Mood
    Worried

Well if that's all there was to life for Gabrielle no wonder she was running around with Marten. She probably didn't want anything but just a little loving, and with Stephen running around patrolling and defending Gilead.... Not to say that's something I would do, be unfaithful, but who knows how deep their love did not run.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

And in anticipation of your next question...the story doesn't tell us if Roland actually went and found his hand.

the combination of my aging eyes and my dirty mind read this as
    'found his hard'

I need to leave the conversation, methinks.

My Mood
    Worried

No no, feel free.. I still can't believe I missed a double entendre!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post

the combination of my aging eyes and my dirty mind read this as
    'found his hard'

I need to leave the conversation, methinks.
    Well, that combined with it being pretty close to it's seeming intent (to me) equates basically to the same.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

I bet if I told my husband to "go find his hand" he wouldn't know what I was talking about though

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure he'd work it out eventually.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

Now THAT's just a dirty double entendre right there...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast