Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could help you. I understand your search; I've wanted to get sandalwood grip panels for my revolver since I bought it. Unfortunately, so far, I have been told sandalwood is too soft and won't do. I still think it could be done, but if not, I hope one day to find a maker who can replicate the look of sandalwood stocks.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Traveler haw3ye is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I wish I could help you. I understand your search; I've wanted to get sandalwood grip panels for my revolver since I bought it. Unfortunately, so far, I have been told sandalwood is too soft and won't do. I still think it could be done, but if not, I hope one day to find a maker who can replicate the look of sandalwood stocks.
    On a pretty well known firearm forum I found a guy who was making custom grips over in southeast asia but he looks way too swamped to take any orders right now so I haven't bothered to ask him.

I'm actually going to try and hit a gun show this weekend where the said engraver in my OP should be attending, I'll ask him about grips - post up the pistol model and make of your pistol and I'll see if he can quote a cost.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not going to use anyone outside of the United States for them. Having said that, I would like to hear what the guys says about the customs grips. It would be for a Ruger Blackhawk.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

SINGLE ACTION BARETTA, GOOD GUN. Never had one wonder into the shop. Colts and italian guns however..... Check out Deiviant art and serch under dark tower. you can find some good artist renderings there. The glories of Si Kings works is that he dose not over explain things, Leaves Something to the dear constant readers interpetation.

Rolands guns however were swing out cylender double actions in the colt style. That is what bothers me about most artist renderings, they show SSA's

oh well.....

" I kill with my heart"
    Last edited by lead dealer; 12-05-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: misspelling, what else.....

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

Oh yea, sandal wood rather difficult to come by, I looked for two mounths to find grips for the colt 1917 in my avatar, no avail. However Brazilian rosewood is a close cousin....

Thats what I found. They run you around $40, and come with a grip screw. Found the seller on the dreaded ebay....

" I kill with my heart"

Traveler haw3ye is on a distinguished road

My Beretta is product of the assimilation of the Uberti firearms merger/buyout...it's italian and you think you have a hard time finding grips? my revolver is a birdshead grip and completely unique compared to existing Uberti and Colt birdsheads grips :'(

If I used the comic drawing as a reference, the larger curved section is supposed to be on the cylinder side. I just flipped it in photoshop and printed it for the engraver...

...as luck would have it, the engraver at the gun show over the weekend that I attended had this tool kit stolen the night before so he was not able to help me out; however, he did quote me the cost of adding the symbol, only $25 I was expecting like triple that amount. If I can catch him at the next show, I'll definitely add pix, thanks all.

Birds head grips, eekkk... try grips made for the mkI to IV webley revolver, they are symalar sized and quite popular in certan areas of the world still. And have seen some with rosewood grips!
    The good thing about the baretta gun that the uburti gun never possesed is quality control! Have seen some that range from steller to crap right out of the box. Have an Amini Jager long barrel (7in)model in 44/40 that is on its 5th trip to my shop. If it is not one thing it is another. The owner firing the much more powerfull 44mag out of it for years did not help....
    $25!! wow, nice. I want to get an elid punch made for mine. To many guns to take to an engraver. Now finding a tool and die maker that would do that will be a problem. The identifing mark for the entire collection....

More dark tower gun junkies unite!!

" I kill with my heart"

Gunslinger Apprentice batsker will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What details do we have about Roland's guns? I.E. caliber, barrel length, grip, etc.

From what I have gathered

rolands pistols are in a "hard caliber" discribed in the 1970's new york sporting goods shop as a .45 winchester. There is no such cartrage, there is however a .45 winchester magnum. But alas this is a rimmless round ment for an auto pistol. It is simply an elongated .45 acp ctg.

Ornately engraved

Double action. Unlike many of the pictures you see they show a single action revolver. Yet in many of the gunfights and discriptions he mentions just pulling the trigger, not cocking the pistol (as you would have to, to spin the cylender and bring a single action to fire. every time) than fireing. And with some double actions you can "fan" the hammer to acheve rapid fire. But why would you want to? Double action weapons with a pull of the trigger spins the cylender and cocks the weapon. It means a heavy, long trigger pull. But you do not have to cock it after every shot. And you can, still, for a lighter pull manualy cock a double action revolver.

Barrel length. Exact measurements are never given, they mention huge, almost prop like. So I would assume that they are service pistol length. The colt 1917 in my avatar has a 6inch barrel and is by all accounts a "big" gun. anything over 7.5 inches is a little unweldly. Have had a few in the shop, they are just amusing.... completly impractical for fighting or to draw for that matter.

Grips: Smooth, worn sandalwood.

Swing out cylender: Another thing not seen in the illistrations. It was written in drawing of the three that Detta when she was going to shoot the unconshous Roland drew his revolver went to check to see if it was loaded by pressing the cylender relese foreward (like a Smith & Wesson) could not so drew it back (like a Colt) and swung out the large cylender.

Finish, Not clear, sounds like a really worn down blueing.....

In my humble opinion, the colt new service in .45 is the closest thing I can find to an off the shelf Roland Desharian Special... This pistol is also known in millitary service with a .45acp chamber as a 1917. Alas they have not made any of those since the 50's. Check gunbroker, thats where I found mine. The grips (as discussed) and ingraveing are another matter entirely.

Bruce Simmet
    Head gun junkie
    Old Trooper Gunsmiths

"I kill with my heart"

Attached is a picture of a ww1 vintage colt new service in .455 eley (.455 webley in everyone elses book) that was issued to the royal canadien mounted police. They offered barrel lengths from 2 inches to 7.5 inches. Makes for a really, really big pistol......
    Attached Images
    Last edited by lead dealer; 12-09-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Add pictures

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

New info, at least for me. Long Road Home had information on where Arthur got his guns. Perhaps everyone already knows this, but I just got the story.

Spoiler:
    Arthur got both his guns and Excalibur from inside the Dark Tower itself. According to the Mid-World Mutants section at the end of issue #4 of Long Road Home, Arthur went to Can'-Ka No Rey, climbed to the top of the Dark Tower, and retrieved the guns and sword there. It also says that the guns and sword were "dreaming" of him.

In issue #5, the Crimson King also states that Arthur's guns came from inside the Tower, and that is why they are a key.

This changes a few things...

What we seem to be forgetting is that the tecnology and the equipment is all still there (Blane, the dougan, andy, ect, ect.....) just fallen out of use. Something disused for any length of time will be forgotten about. For the longest time it was thought that the weapons of the old people carried disease and sickness, proabably radiation poisoning... So they, not being sure what weapons of the old people (guns) did not carry disease dissused all of them and forgot about them and how to use them. Yet outside of "blue haven" were caves of sneeches and assault rifles that would be current issue for 2030 our time... Roland could have just as well been carring a glock or a H&K usp, but where whould the fun and romance of that be?
    It from a machining and repair stand point to make 1870's tecnology than it would be to make than a modern (for out world at least) polmer framed pistol.

Symbolisum, weather it be intentional or not, hell yes!!

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

Default Rolands revolvers? *major spoilers*

In The Drawing, Detta takes the revolver and opens the chamber. King says she fiddles with the release and swings the chamber out. At the end of the book roland does the same and flicks it back into the gun.

Now in the comic series you see his guns illistrated as a similar model to the colt .45, WITH A LOADING GATE, not the kind that swings out. Also people say that its most close to colt .45, but the colts aren't near big enough and also have a loading gate. I'm probaly being to picky but it really bugs me that theres so many changes. So your opinions please! thx

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i think that it means the comics are wrong. Remember that King isn't the one who illustrated them, and the artist takes certain liberties. it's just a continuity error.

The guns cant be colts because colts HAVE LOADING GATES. In the Drawing, King describes Detta swinging the CHAMBER open. He also describes Roland doing the same, and then flicking it back witha flick of the wrist. So i think it cant be colts.
    I think maybe the 1858 Remington with blued steel, sandalwood, and making the chambers swing out, at least for me.

Also in the gunslinger, rolands reloading trick would be hard to accomplish with loading gates i think.

Ahh, dear constant reader.

Not the colt 1873 Single Action Army types seen in the illistrations. Colt like any good gunmaker did not stop development of its product line. Rolands guns are much, much closer to a colt New service type revolver.See avatar picture

In the 1858 remington the cylender is removed completly when the rammer is lowered and the cylender pin (revolving rod) is removed. And it is a blackpowder muzzel loder type gun. Impossable to reload quickly, unless you carry a stack of cylenders.

Best time reloading a colt SSA six seconds

Best time reloading a colt new service Two.

Respectfully submitted

"lead Dealer"

Head Gun Junkie, Old trooper Gunsmiths

Gentelmen,

Like the new guys enthuseam. Comics wrong, big time. But the icon of the old west is that colt single action army. But to preform the feats that roland preformed throughout the sereis, you are correct, It could not be a single action gun.
    The next development of the colt product line was a double action, than a double action with a swing out cylender. The colt New Service type, they came in many barrel lenghts and "hard" calibers. first one roaled off the hartford line in 1882.

Gunsmith dammit, I can't spell!!

Respectfully Submitted

"lead Dealer"

head gun junkie old trooper gunsmiths

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi and welcome osseolax28.

I agree with razz that the comics are taking some of their own liberties.

**just fyi, this thread will be merged tomorrow with the other gun thread.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

And have all of my non-senceacal ramblings combined to one post!

<gasp>

i diidnt relize there was a thread on this already. sorry, delete it if ya need to

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No need to delete at all

Actually, I only just noticed Maer's post - sorry for stepping it up a day! But I've also changed the title to make this thread more general - so ALL aspects of the Gunslinger's guns can be discussed here

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Good idea Lisa.

Well I hope that my nonsencical ramblings helped somewhat......

"Free men own arms, subjects do not"

"most tyrants prefer unarmed victums"

Lead Dealer
    Head gun junkie, old trooper gunsmiths

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

Two points.

1. Steven King clearly did not have a particular gun in mind when he wrote this story. Also clearly, Steven King did not do much research on guns (or much else) when he started writing this story. If we all recall, he put NY together wrong in DT2. If he can put NY together wrong, he can put a gun together wrong.

2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are. However, just because that is what his guns look like, doesn't mean they couldn't be different in functionality than the real SAA, and this ties back in with point 1.

just my 2 cents, I suppose.

Throughout the sereis Si King gotten a lot of his gun info wrong. Like the overseer in paradice city carying a .40 cal colt revolver, and the ar15 being full auto or rolands guns being chambered for a rimless round. Lots of little things that only a gun nut would pick up on. Souns like Si King could use a gun guy to consult. Wonder if there are any openings?

Lead Dealer
    Head gun junkie, old trooper gunsmiths

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt of Gilead View Post
    Two points.

1. Steven King clearly did not have a particular gun in mind when he wrote this story. Also clearly, Steven King did not do much research on guns (or much else) when he started writing this story. If we all recall, he put NY together wrong in DT2. If he can put NY together wrong, he can put a gun together wrong.

2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are. However, just because that is what his guns look like, doesn't mean they couldn't be different in functionality than the real SAA, and this ties back in with point 1.

just my 2 cents, I suppose.
    1. STEPHEN King made a note of his liberties with New York's geography in the foreword to DT3. He clearly never intended to be totally accurate.

2. I know nothing about guns. Whether King made mistakes in describing them or he made them up, doesn't matter to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast