Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Both are cylindrical in shape. I think the similarities end there.
    I don't know if they do. After all, the whole multiverse, the Tower being its axis, depends on a gunslinger's gun to survive. I do think, however, that with further moving up the spiral of the existence, development of human (or any other) race, and evolution of humanity, we'll find that it's not a gun but something we can't even think of now that it really depends on, and is similar to.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think it's an interesting idea but don't think there is any connection.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Cylindrical in shape? That reminds me of a certain thread at tdt.net with Allhail...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Cylindrical in shape? That reminds me of a certain thread at tdt.net with Allhail...
    Are you implying that at one point I might have made an inappropriate thread??
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

To me they are as different as possible.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

Surely not you. NEVER I am dumbfounded and shocked by this slander against you.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kilgore Trout valtr0n is on a distinguished road valtr0n's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland's revolvers almost certainly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, have rifled barrels.

The rifled barrel was in use well before brass casings were used, and Roland's pistols definitely used modern bullets (brass-cased), therefore the possibility of a rifled barrel becomes a near certainty.

Don't you get it?! We are the walking dead! We are the walking dead...

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by valtr0n View Post
    Roland's revolvers almost certainly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, have rifled barrels.

The rifled barrel was in use well before brass casings were used, and Roland's pistols definitely used modern bullets (brass-cased), therefore the possibility of a rifled barrel becomes a near certainty.

You got me there, I was thinking of the insinuation of age of the pistols, not thinking about the fact that he used modern bullets from "our" world in them several times.

Even so...I am not really feeling any deeper connection between the pistols and the Tower.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Banned Diggity Of The Eld is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure the ancestors of the line of Eld designed those guns with the Tower in mind, but as far as being connected to the Tower itself? I don't know, there might be something there to connect them to the explanation of Roland's heightened skill, near immortality, etc etc

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Or maybe the guns Roland carries don't directly cause his personal strengths, but just share the same cause: his heritage.

Either way, though, his gun clearly IS connected to the Tower somehow. I mean, it is the key to entry, after all.

Banned Diggity Of The Eld is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the guns are connected, but I think like you say they're more connected to the Line of Eld than to the Tower.

Now, maybe the real question is why Arthur Eld is connected to the Tower?

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

Arthur Eld, or Arthur of Old has links with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The Knights of the Round Table link with the Gunslingers. In DT Susannah's grandfather refers to Roland's guns saying they are as much as Excalibur, Arthur's sword and the conferrer of Arthur's power. I always thought the guns Roland carried were the very guns that Arthur Eld carried, literally Excalibur.

I saw the Tower, the Rose and the Guns as interchangeable, in a symbolic sense, three keys central to the tale. In my mind it is a trinity.

The Guns of Eld are definitely connected to the Tower, but I don't think the "rifling" and the spiral are connected.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I'm not sure if memory states that you created it, but you and I sure participated in it...

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the rifling of the gun barrel, though SK does like his subtleties, but the guns and the Tower do seem to be linked. The image engraved near the tip of the barrel is like a flower , and according to the Gunslinger Born comments on gunslinger guns, was Arthur Eld's dinh mark. The same section also states that Roland's guns are made from materials not found in his world. It seems extremely likely that the guns are, indeed, the same that Arthur Eld carried.

However, beyond stating that the guns came from another world (also in the comics, I think, I'll have to look), there is no comment I am aware of about where Arthur Eld got his guns.

On a related note, I believe Arthur Eld also had a sword called Excalibur, in addition to his guns. I'll have to do more looking for that, too.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Without going and looking, I'm fairly sure that in the Gunslinger Born comics it states that the guns were infact forged from the sword Excalibur.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I do believe you're right. I think it says that in one of the side stories at the end of the comics.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Without going and looking, I'm fairly sure that in the Gunslinger Born comics it states that the guns were infact forged from the sword Excalibur.
    It's treated as a possibility, but no one (mortal and on the lower levels of the Tower anyway) knows where the Guns of Eld come from.

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

Okay, I've got the comic here, and it's a bit of both. Arthur Eld had both Excalibur and his guns, all of which came from another world. No one knows where he got the guns or the sword. Then, while fighting a giant snake, both of his guns were damaged, and he killed the snake with Excalibur. Since the sword was made from the same metal as the guns, it was used to forge new guns. Then, since they had seen how the guns worked, Arthur allowed his smiths to forge additional guns for his knights out of normal steel.

The story is entitled "The Guns of Deschain", and is found in Gunslinger Born #3. I'd say that makes it pretty definitive that Roland has Arthur's guns.

My new pet theory is that Arthur was given his guns so that Roland would end up with them. There's no reason, really, why they should be the key to the Tower unless that is what they were meant for.

Also, Arthur referred to his weapons as both "Colts" and "Peacemakers." Gee, I wonder what kind of guns they are...

Well maybe Arthur Eld did know, but that was it.

Traveler haw3ye is on a distinguished road

Default I would like a "close" up of the famous Gunslinger's Guns...

Little help for a newbie?

To be more specific, if anyone has a nice pic of the scrollwork engraving of Arthur Eld's mark on the barrel of the gunslinger's revolver that'd be really helpful as I'm stuck at work and I do not have my copy of the comix in front of me at the moment to look - and I'm actually looking to take my SA Beretta out to an engraver this weekend so I can get this mark on the barrel because I love the Dark Tower series so much.

I found this one on the net but I'd really like to see how it's placed on the barrel and in what direction because the only pics I see on this site seem to show that the mark is backwards(?)

Thanks in advance!

-Marcus

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey haw3eye--welcome to the board.

When your brand new, certain posts need to be validated so I apologize this took a bit to show up.

Its an effort to combat SPAM

Hopefully someone will have an answer to your question.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm not sure where you'd find that - but I sure do hope you post a picture of your engraved gun when complete.

Good luck on your hunt.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...I know that there is an image of this in the back of one of the comics. I think it was one of the last issues of The Gunslinger Born. But I don't have it with me, so I can't post it now. If no one else finds the image first, I'll try to post it later.
    Heng Dai

Traveler haw3ye is on a distinguished road

hey thanks...yeah, the series inspired me to purchase my first single action revolver actually so this will be a real treat hopefully...now all i need is a set of sandal wood grips hehe.

And I TOTALLY appreciate a scanned image so that I Can print it, I don't really want to leave my comic with the engraver lol!
    Last edited by haw3ye; 12-03-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added comment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast